PDA

View Full Version : Can't see through the glass ....

chinookmark
October 19th, 2008, 00:45
Maybe you guys can help me ... I downloaded an An-26 (An26ZH.zip) from Simviation and I can't see through the cockpit glass. It's originally for FS2004, but edited for FSX (I have Accelleration). The reflection on the window is solid, so I tried removing that texture from the texture folder, but then the windows are black. Can I fix this by changing the texture format, or is this in the model?

Also, I can see the clouds through the props, I forgot what the fix for that was. Thanks!

CG_1976
October 19th, 2008, 00:58
For the Glass you need to remove a texture named GLASmask. That cured my problems glass wise. Props i haven't figured out yet unless they are for ATR's.

chinookmark
October 19th, 2008, 01:17
Glasmask.bmp is the one I removed, and it changed the "aluminum foil sunshade" to black windows. Do you think it might be Acceleration? I'm not currently using DX10.

CG_1976
October 19th, 2008, 01:37
Hum, i just removed that file and have no problems and i use Acceleration and dont use Dx10. I'll have to trove thru my Stallin notes:d

Arkycharlie
October 19th, 2008, 10:23
I'm running FSX, acceleration, sp2 and have been struggling with the non-tranaparent VC in freeware aircraft for months but am finally beginning to get a handle on it. Download the freeware application DXTBmp. In the AN-26 texture folder, use DXTBmp to open the GLASmask.bmp file. On the menu bar, click on Aplha, Invert Alpha, and the Alpha Channel shown in the upper right hand corner of the screen should change from white to black. Then click "save as", "extended bitmap" and save it as "extended 32 bit 888-8". Of course, always back up your files before modifying them. This should solve your problem. I used the same process on the freeware Concorde as well as the latest version of the Iris freeware Tornado and it worked like a charm to make the VC cockpit transparent. The aircraft that I haven't had any success on is the freeware F-18 Super Hornet. If anyone knows how to get rid of the black glass on that one, I sure would appreciate them sharing it here!

charlie

chinookmark
October 19th, 2008, 12:21
Okay, I'll try it. Does it need to be DXTBmp, or can I do this with Imagetool?

Funny you mention the F-18E. I just installed it an hour ago. I had forgotten how awesome that aircraft is! I was flying with the cockpit open just to have a little bit of vision.

Arkycharlie
October 19th, 2008, 18:37
CM, I'm not familiar with imagetool so I took a look at it and I don't believe that it can do what is needed here. DXTBmp was created primarily for this purpose and is a very handy utility for FSXers. There is plenty of information available on how to use it, but like anything computer related, there is a certain learning curve.

brettt777
October 19th, 2008, 19:32
I'm running FSX, acceleration, sp2 and have been struggling with the non-tranaparent VC in freeware aircraft for months but am finally beginning to get a handle on it. Download the freeware application DXTBmp. In the AN-26 texture folder, use DXTBmp to open the GLASmask.bmp file. On the menu bar, click on Aplha, Invert Alpha, and the Alpha Channel shown in the upper right hand corner of the screen should change from white to black. Then click "save as", "extended bitmap" and save it as "extended 32 bit 888-8". Of course, always back up your files before modifying them. This should solve your problem. I used the same process on the freeware Concorde as well as the latest version of the Iris freeware Tornado and it worked like a charm to make the VC cockpit transparent. The aircraft that I haven't had any success on is the freeware F-18 Super Hornet. If anyone knows how to get rid of the black glass on that one, I sure would appreciate them sharing it here!

charlie

Wow I have been trying to fix this problem in my F-16 for weeks. It seemed like every F-16 I tried in FSX had this same kind of problem... non-transparent canopies from the inside except for one little square in the very from where the HUD should be. But this fixed the problem. Now if I could just get the stupid VC to work...

chinookmark
October 20th, 2008, 10:24
DXTBmp worked like a charm. Thanks for the help! Now, about those props ....

Arkycharlie
October 20th, 2008, 11:17
I've been helped greatly around here several times and I'm glad to finally have an opportunity to return the favor. Go here and see if it provides some insight on the prop issue: http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007/12/31/how-to-upgrade-the-propellers-in-fs9-aircraft-for-fsx-sp2.aspx

Stickshaker
October 22nd, 2008, 11:47
Thanks so much, Arkycharlie! It also works for Kirk Olson's Mirage F-1. The file to modify is windowr, for those interested.

Arkycharlie
October 22nd, 2008, 11:56
SS, you made my day! Happy flying!!!