PDA

View Full Version : Critics be damned !, blatant WIP progress (F-100D)

michael davies
June 29th, 2009, 15:05
They exist, always have, always will, time to move on.

Some renders of current F-100D progress, hopefully finish off the gear detail and animations this week. Last image is a wire frame for the technophobes.

Enjoy

Michael

Panther_99FS
June 29th, 2009, 15:08
Looks great! (and sorely needed) :applause:

Bone
June 29th, 2009, 15:08
No criticism from me, except for Whats Taking You So Long.

Cag40Navy
June 29th, 2009, 15:10
SA-WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!! this is going to be fun!:ernae:

harleyman
June 29th, 2009, 15:14
Bi Ut Ti FUL.........................

:applause::applause:

Milton Shupe
June 29th, 2009, 15:19
Beautifully smooth modeling :medals:

michael davies
June 29th, 2009, 15:33
Thanks, and only 48,000 polys thus far LOL. Sadly the term 'low poly' seems synonymous with 2nd rate these days, shame, its a skill set that could enhance a lot of game play if used astutely.

Best

Michael

Beautifully smooth modeling :medals:

BananaBob
June 29th, 2009, 15:36
I can hear the thunder now, sweet! :medals::medals:

Henry
June 29th, 2009, 15:39
It does not have a prop!
grumble grumble:running:
LOL
H

tigisfat
June 29th, 2009, 15:47
OH YEAH?! I flew F-100s in the war of 1884 against the then township of Utah. I also crew chiefed them for 40 years before retiring as a adjudant ensign lieutenant's mate fifth class to the third power. I'm saying this doesn't look anything like an F-100. First off, you got the flapper doors all wrong. Also, your screenshots look horrible. Couldn't you have picked better scenery? Whoever did your repaints doesn't know what they're doing. Look, I don't mean to insult anybody, but this is the worst iteration of anything I've ever seen; take it from me because I know everything.

:173go1::173go1::173go1::bump::bump::bump:

papab
June 29th, 2009, 15:56
WOW!!!!!!
I want one!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks Great
Rick

Gibbage
June 29th, 2009, 16:03
Thanks, and only 48,000 polys thus far LOL. Sadly the term 'low poly' seems synonymous with 2nd rate these days, shame, its a skill set that could enhance a lot of game play if used astutely.

Best

Michael

The term "low poly" is constantly being re-defined as technology progresses. When I first started modeling, low poly was in the hundreds, and high poly was in the tens of thousands. The FSX engine is amazingly robust when it comes to polygon crunching, so now we have aircraft in the range of hundreds of thousands of polygons with very little hit on frame rate. But I think it truly takes skill to make a low poly aircraft LOOK like a high poly aircraft. Great work!

jmig
June 29th, 2009, 16:07
OH YEAH?! I flew F-100s in the war of 1884 against the then township of Utah. I also crew chiefed them for 40 years before retiring as a adjudant ensign lieutenant's mate fifth class to the third power. I'm saying this doesn't look anything like an F-100. First off, you got the flapper doors all wrong. Also, your screenshots look horrible. Couldn't you have picked better scenery? Whoever did your repaints doesn't know what they're doing. Look, I don't mean to insult anybody, but this is the worst iteration of anything I've ever seen; take it from me because I know everything.

Well I guess you don't know EVERYTHING. ;) If you did, you would know that is one of the Misty birds in camo, so the Gommers wouldn't recognize them. LOL

Michael, I can pretty much guarantee you one sale for the F-100.

I still remember T-38 X-country into St. Louis to tour the F-15 factory. I had landed and was taxing in when a ANG F-100 took off. I remember NOISE and the longest takeoff run I had ever seen. It was impressive, however.

michael davies
June 29th, 2009, 16:28
John, they say...those that say these things...that only one plane takes longer to take off than the F-100, thats the F-84F :)...yes, yes, yes, dont all shout at once LOL, I do aim to get back up to speed on that one once the raw mesh of the F-100 is complete.

Was it the F-100 or F-105 that was called the 'Lead Sled' ?.

Best

Michael

Bone
June 29th, 2009, 16:29

HAHAHA! You forgot to tell us that you were conceived on the horizontal stab of an F-100 while it was in burner on a runup test.

CodyValkyrie
June 29th, 2009, 16:32
Looking GREAT Michael!

Barvan40
June 29th, 2009, 16:38
Fantastic model Michael! :applause:

michael davies
June 29th, 2009, 16:41
Ok, last one for tonight, I know many dont feel renders represent the model correctly, sleigh of hand or something so I threw it in FSx, mildly impressed with how smooth it looks there as well.

Gibbage, I agree, the 'low poly' limit is rising all the time, like you I was brought up on a poly limit of just 1200, I still get the shakes when I get near to 60,000 LOL, I think the extra fidelity in the VC is a very good use of extra polys, but a lot of an aircraft exterior can be accomplished with much lower poly counts especially with good textures and now good bump maps.

I spared no polys for the base fuselage and major components, resorting to a massive Nurbs mesh for the fuselage to get all the compound curves to flow, yet it still came out very low to my mind.

Best

Michael

jmig
June 29th, 2009, 16:46
John, they say...those that say these things...that only one plane takes longer to take off than the F-100, thats the F-84F :)...yes, yes, yes, dont all shout at once LOL, I do aim to get back up to speed on that one once the raw mesh of the F-100 is complete.

Best

Michael

I seem to recall it was the F-100, Michael.

I also recall that a fully loaded B-52 or KC-135 taking off on Guam took every inch of the runway and maybe a bit more. However, that was after I saw the F-100 takeoff.

I can only imagine the time between V1 & V2 speeds in that thing. You could say a decade of the rosary, in hopes you wouldn't lose the engine, between them.

Lionheart
June 29th, 2009, 17:37
Goodness Michael!

Outdoing yourself again.

Awesome work man! That is one beauty of a fuselage. The lines look right on. It had a very different scoop, none like it.

:ernae: :applause: :ernae:

Bill

Wing_Z
June 29th, 2009, 17:46
Does look very good, and thanks for showing it bare-*ssed, so to speak.

I have a question if I may, since polys have been discussed.
As a user, I find the VC canopy frame to be one of the most important items, visually, especially in a fighter.
It's in your face most of the time!

Would it be possible to redirect some polys to make it look more like the first picture below?
Often, they end up looking like the second.

FelixFFDS
June 29th, 2009, 18:39
It does not have a prop!
grumble grumble:running:
LOL
H

HEAR, HEAR!

:applause:

Also, Henry, no struts!!! What holds it together?

Piglet
June 29th, 2009, 18:51
48,000 Polys! I guess I gotta up my poly counts. My largest plane has only about 26,000 polys. VC's about 15,000 polys.
I like the rib work on that Hun's rudder, and the cannon ports. Gun ports are always tricky on models.

Gibbage
June 29th, 2009, 19:02
48,000 Polys! I guess I gotta up my poly counts. My largest plane has only about 26,000 polys. VC's about 15,000 polys.
I like the rib work on that Hun's rudder, and the cannon ports. Gun ports are always tricky on models.

My SU P-38 for FS2004 years ago was around 60,000. Needless to say, my recent FSD/Milvis P-38 is considerably more. And yes, making small cuts in a curved surface is a big PITA.

Piglet
June 29th, 2009, 19:16
Like I said elsewhere, when I first made planes with BAO FlightShop, the poly limit was 800 polys! 800! Max fuselage sides was 8, then 10, then 12 with AF99.
How many polys in 10 years?:pop4:

MCDesigns
June 30th, 2009, 06:07
Stunning work Michael.:ernae:

redriver6
June 30th, 2009, 06:12
looks great Micheal!!:ernae::ernae:

Mathias
June 30th, 2009, 06:15
And I thought we finally lost you to trainsimming and ship building.
Great clean mesh there, Michael!
What is the ditribution supposed to look like?

michael davies
June 30th, 2009, 06:40
Charl,

TRUST ME !, my VC canopy frame will be smooth :), that is my #1 pet hate, the reality is that it probably only requires another couple of 100 polys to make it very smooth and as you say, it just does not get done ?.

Best

Michael

Does look very good, and thanks for showing it bare-*ssed, so to speak.

I have a question if I may, since polys have been discussed.
As a user, I find the VC canopy frame to be one of the most important items, visually, especially in a fighter.
It's in your face most of the time!

Would it be possible to redirect some polys to make it look more like the first picture below?
Often, they end up looking like the second.

michael davies
June 30th, 2009, 06:43
Nearly, very nearly, I still do a little ship work to preserve sanity, I've got plans for a LNG carrier, Car carrier and container ship, but they have no place here ither than scenery and I now devote two days a week to trains, real ones that is, photos and such etc.

Ditribution ?, sorry I don't follow, could you expand a little and I might be able to show or explain.

Best

Michael

And I thought we finally lost you to trainsimming and ship building.
Great clean mesh there, Michael!
What is the ditribution supposed to look like?

michael davies
June 30th, 2009, 06:46
I started seriously with AF99 and it was limited to 1000 but you could cheat by using 'glue' polys and get it upto 1200 if you were really carefull LOL.

I think I dabbled with flightshop as well, the limit of 800 rings a dim bell, not sure though.

Best

Michael

Like I said elsewhere, when I first made planes with BAO FlightShop, the poly limit was 800 polys! 800! Max fuselage sides was 8, then 10, then 12 with AF99.
How many polys in 10 years?:pop4:

michael davies
June 30th, 2009, 06:53
Bill

I have a friend who is an avid Carp fisherman, whilst watching discovery channel the other day....on Carp fishing...I was struck by how similar the intake is in shape and form to a Carps mouth, it is a unique shape.

Best

Michael

Goodness Michael!

Outdoing yourself again.

Awesome work man! That is one beauty of a fuselage. The lines look right on. It had a very different scoop, none like it.

:ernae: :applause: :ernae:

Bill

Boomer
June 30th, 2009, 06:56
Good stuff Michael! :applause::applause::applause:

Mathias
June 30th, 2009, 07:03
Ditribution ?, sorry I don't follow, could you expand a little and I might be able to show or explain.

Best

Michael

How will we be able to get our hands on this beauty?
Via Alphasim or some other channels?

michael davies
June 30th, 2009, 07:19
Ahh distribution :), it hasnt been decided yet, Alphasim cancelled their F1-00 sometime last year so chance's are they wont want this one either !.

I've lots of offers but I wont decide until the model is complete or very near complete thats all I can say, no hidden agenda, just havent thought about it in detail, I find it clouds the modeling sense's :).

Just to throw a curve ball LOL, this ones been bubbling along, Elint (shown) and tanker both catered for, it'll be after the F-100 for sure, may cut the gear doors and flying surfaces though to stop boredom setting in on the 'Hun', its good to have one or two projects on going.

Best

Michael

How will we be able to get our hands on this beauty?
Via Alphasim or some other channels?

noddy
June 30th, 2009, 07:37
Fantastic job Michael.

Tweek
June 30th, 2009, 07:48
Both aircraft are looking very nice indeed. :applause:

tigisfat
June 30th, 2009, 07:55
Well I guess you don't know EVERYTHING. ;) If you did, you would know that is one of the Misty birds in camo, so the Gommers wouldn't recognize them. LOL

On a serious note, were there misty F-100s? I thought they were all F-105s.:kilroy:

fsafranek
June 30th, 2009, 08:35
On a serious note, were there misty F-100s? I thought they were all F-105s.:kilroy:
Two different things sort of. As a part of the "Iron Hand" program the USAF tried the two-seat F-100F in the role as a "Wild Weasel" to make flights over North Vietnam and identify SAM sites (draw fire) but they had a heck of a time staying in front of the Thuds and Phantoms they were supposed to be supporting. So they were replaced in that role by the F-105F (and later the specialized F-105G).

The F-100F was then used as a high speed Misty FAC (forward air controller) down south. The F-105s were based in Thailand and flew exclusively up north. F-100s were in South Vietnam and flew close air support.

Oh, and the "Lead Sled" was the F-105 Thunderchief.
:ernae:

jmig
June 30th, 2009, 09:41

The Misty's were two-seater F-100Fs. I read a book about them a couple years ago. I think it was called "Bury us Upside Down"?

The first commander of the Misty's was a cellmate of Sen John McCain. I forget his name but, he won the Medal of Honor while a POW.

empeck
June 30th, 2009, 10:14
Awful, I hate it!

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/8760/muppet051107093727103wi.jpg (http://img40.imageshack.us/i/muppet051107093727103wi.jpg/)

:engel016:

But seriously, great work :) Nice to see some WIPs :)

centuryseries
June 30th, 2009, 10:55
Ah Michael, you've gone and done it now!!

The RC-135 is an all time favourite spooky plane of mine :jump: please, please please consider also doing the high pitched screech turbojet version!

If not don't worry!!

Question is, is that one in the screenshots a V or a W..........

Also any chance of a U :kilroy: always liked the chipmunk look of that version!!

Stab in the dark - Mildenhall in the background?

tigisfat
June 30th, 2009, 11:24
The Misty's were two-seater F-100Fs. I read a book about them a couple years ago. I think it was called "Bury us Upside Down"?

The first commander of the Misty's was a cellmate of Sen John McCain. I forget his name but, he won the Medal of Honor while a POW.

That was Col. Bud Day. Please read FSafranek's good post above.

jankees
June 30th, 2009, 12:11

Best

Michael

Didn't they say that no matter how long your runway was, Republic would make a plane that would need all of it and more?

Great stuff, I like it!

michael davies
June 30th, 2009, 15:35
David,

Its a V model but it could be a W, i think its only sensor changes etc, the tanker variant being the R, The U is possible as they are now fitted with larger engines, its not planned but its a simple addon to accomplish.

Mildenhall, yes thats the default FSx rendition, pretty poor isnt it :(.

Best

Michael

Ah Michael, you've gone and done it now!!

The RC-135 is an all time favourite spooky plane of mine :jump: please, please please consider also doing the high pitched screech turbojet version!

If not don't worry!!

Question is, is that one in the screenshots a V or a W..........

Also any chance of a U :kilroy: always liked the chipmunk look of that version!!

Stab in the dark - Mildenhall in the background?

Wing_Z
June 30th, 2009, 16:14
Charl,
TRUST ME !, my VC canopy frame will be smooth :), ...
:ernae: Ooh and that -135 has nice round nacelles too!
You thought of taking deposits? ;)

mike_cyul
June 30th, 2009, 17:58
That is some very nice looking mesh work! :applause:

Mike

redriver6
June 30th, 2009, 19:14
That is some very nice looking mesh work! :applause:

Mike

yes it is:applause::applause:

heywooood
June 30th, 2009, 19:38
keep 'em coming gentlemen... Those of us who appreciate exceptional talent will be supportive I assure you. :icon29:

I am a huge fan of the effort that goes into these 3d works of art, as much as of the subject matter itself.

crashaz
June 30th, 2009, 20:40
Beautiful work! My only suggestion...

...comes after the long hull Essex.:icon_lol:

ROFL empeck!!! I will join you... then we could do their laugh!! :icon29:

michael davies
July 1st, 2009, 01:22
Kewl LOL, question is, how did you get shadows under the bare mesh ?, I have shadows under all my aircraft except the F-100 and RC-135, the only shadow is from the glass which is the only component to have a material currently assigned, yet you clearly have a shadow under the mesh with no materials assigned, ahh the joys and foibles of FSx !.

Best

Michael

yes it is:applause::applause:

FelixFFDS
July 1st, 2009, 01:45
MIchael, I have to admit, you really made a mesh of the F-100!!:bump:

Seaking055
July 1st, 2009, 02:28
Michael, each time you "pop" up you come up with more to make us drool........awesome work pal. Now where's my westland wasp for FSX lol

michael davies
July 1st, 2009, 02:38
Eeewww, the Wasp, I'd forgotten all about that one, dug around and found a Lynx as well, really must make a conservative effort to finish some before starting new ones LOL. I think the Lynx mesh is up there with the Hun, very complex rotor casing to form. Hoping to pick up some more detailed shots around the airshow circuit this year. I also want to package the Lynx with a RN Frigate or Destroyer, Type 22/23 or 42 ideally.

SEE !!, you decadent young man, you dragged me OT again LOL.

Best

Michael

Michael, each time you "pop" up you come up with more to make us drool........awesome work pal. Now where's my westland wasp for FSX lol

gajit
July 1st, 2009, 02:55
Now that is just fantastic :applause::jump::applause::jump::applause:

Roger
July 1st, 2009, 04:18
Some great looking stuff there Michael!:ernae:

Prowler1111
July 1st, 2009, 05:52
aWFUL!!! Awful I say!..keep this man out of his pc, his stuff is substandard! POWER TO THE RIVECOUNTER!!! POWER TO THE RIVETCOUNTER!!!:173go1:

Great stuff as usual Michael...
Prowler

Bjoern
July 1st, 2009, 06:24
I still remember T-38 X-country into St. Louis to tour the F-15 factory. I had landed and was taxing in when a ANG F-100 took off. I remember NOISE and the longest takeoff run I had ever seen. It was impressive, however.

I wonder how they even managed to get off the runway with a full combat load on a hot day in SEA...

Great stuff, Michael! :applause:

michael davies
July 1st, 2009, 06:41
Tankers, often they traded take off fuel for hardware, climb to altitude and then top off the tanks for the mission.

Best

Michael

I wonder how they even managed to get off the runway with a full combat load on a hot day in SEA...

Great stuff, Michael! :applause:

redriver6
July 1st, 2009, 07:24
Kewl LOL, question is, how did you get shadows under the bare mesh ?, I have shadows under all my aircraft except the F-100 and RC-135, the only shadow is from the glass which is the only component to have a material currently assigned, yet you clearly have a shadow under the mesh with no materials assigned, ahh the joys and foibles of FSx !.

Best

Michael

oopps...i have no idea...i just put it in a/c folder and picked a runway in Thiland somewhere:icon_lol:

dhazelgrove
July 1st, 2009, 07:31
HAHAHA! You forgot to tell us that you were conceived on the horizontal stab of an F-100 while it was in burner on a runup test.

I thought that was you.....

Dave

centuryseries
July 1st, 2009, 10:48
Yeah Mildenhall is very poor by default, could really do with a makeover especially since it used to be the HQ 3d AF in Europe. All those heavies and obscure units for a base that small!

Any rendition of the RC-135 is very welcome, so long as it has a VC - the HJG RCs are very good but they lack VC's.

F-100 looks neat and tidy, and the Lynx looks like it was a nightmare to build with all those curves!

Mithrin
July 1st, 2009, 11:24
Ooooh yummy. We'll need a 32nd TFS Wolfhounds paint. Looking great already! I ought to visit the museum at Soesterberg again just to shoot some piccies of this plane! What a classic beauty!

IanP
July 1st, 2009, 12:31
Yeah Mildenhall is very poor by default, could really do with a makeover especially since it used to be the HQ 3d AF in Europe. All those heavies and obscure units for a base that small!

It's not whited out in Google Earth (the US Government must have missed that one. ;)) so it doesn't look like an AFD update would be impossible, if enough people want it?

Obviously, It'll be default or Ted Andrews scenery library objects unless someone who knows what's there and can model worth a <BLEEP!> feels like making me some buildings.

wilycoyote4
July 1st, 2009, 13:19
Critics be damned !, blatant WIP progress

Critics, yeah, a photo of one below and t'aint small type, neither. Progress in FS isn't due to critics, rather just the opposite. Toil and tedium, sweat and tears, minds that go blank until the middle of the night, that's the developer's burdens, not much room or time for humoring arrogant fools.

Keep on building, swap the troublesome lot, knowing another will be poncing about soon enough, LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL. :icon29::guinness: The F-100 is interesting, a real history there.

centuryseries
July 2nd, 2009, 10:23
It'll be default or Ted Andrews scenery library objects unless someone who knows what's there and can model worth a <BLEEP!> feels like making me some buildings.

I live about 25 minutes south of Mildenhall, but due to the inaccessible nature of the airfield - especially the eastern side means building photographs of any detail are virtually impossible. Shame the airfete isn't held anymore......

I really want a good detailed FPS friendly Mildenhall to fly from.... :frown:

michael davies
July 2nd, 2009, 10:53
TBH, I dont think you need anal details to get an atmosphere, most buildings are generic in their basic form and the US supplies a lot of generic equipment that can be seem globally so there are chances you can get images from othe rsources, you'd also be suprised what you can take images of through holes in hedges and such, you right they're not there right in front of you, but should be good enough to give an ambiance so to speak. Some of the buildings around the terminal area are quite hard to get images of and most of the support area of offices and shopping areas would be difficult in this day and age, I've a fair few celluloid images from air fetes, they may throw up some more of buildings in the back ground. But then I did find this image which shows quite a lot, the original is much larger.

It is some thing I keep mulling over for rainy days :).

Best

Michael

I live about 25 minutes south of Mildenhall, but due to the inaccessible nature of the airfield - especially the eastern side means building photographs of any detail are virtually impossible. Shame the airfete isn't held anymore......

I really want a good detailed FPS friendly Mildenhall to fly from.... :frown:

Bjoern
July 2nd, 2009, 14:08
Tankers, often they traded take off fuel for hardware, climb to altitude and then top off the tanks for the mission.

Makes sense.

Didn't the Thuds do it the same way?

Seaking055
July 2nd, 2009, 14:17
Eeewww, the Wasp, I'd forgotten all about that one, dug around and found a Lynx as well, really must make a conservative effort to finish some before starting new ones LOL. I think the Lynx mesh is up there with the Hun, very complex rotor casing to form. Hoping to pick up some more detailed shots around the airshow circuit this year. I also want to package the Lynx with a RN Frigate or Destroyer, Type 22/23 or 42 ideally.

SEE !!, you decadent young man, you dragged me OT again LOL.

Best

Michael

Oh my, thanks for the Young bit Michael lol............haven't been called in that in an age. Now that's great pics of the Lynx, I would go with the Wasp first though, much simpler rotor head (hint hint) I used to love flying the last one that was done for fs2002.

As for the RN ships........bring em on, only wish I had the nohow to help you on that score, but as I've said before, I am always willing to help out testing if needed.

You would be my hero if a wasp was around in my christmas box lol.

All joking aside, great work pal as always.

PRB
July 2nd, 2009, 15:48
That F-100 is looking very nice! Lets see, I have an F-104, F-105, and F-106. So, what's left? Oh, and an F-107. Soon we will have all the "century series" lined up outside the hangar!
:ernae:

ColoKent
July 2nd, 2009, 21:01
....a really well done (Michael Davies) EC-135 ("Looking Glass").

MY GOD those RCs- look good...how about an EC-...pretty please?

Kent

kilo delta
July 3rd, 2009, 05:44
It's not whited out in Google Earth (the US Government must have missed that one. ;)) so it doesn't look like an AFD update would be impossible, if enough people want it?

Obviously, It'll be default or Ted Andrews scenery library objects unless someone who knows what's there and can model worth a <BLEEP!> feels like making me some buildings.

I for one would love a more detailled Mildenhall, Ian :ernae:

Dag
July 3rd, 2009, 06:47
Yeahh Michael, that Hun looks amazing! That one I sure will get, and paint !
RDAF weathered green ones comes to mind. Awsome work and thanks for doing a proper F-100D :-)

Thanks

Bone
July 3rd, 2009, 07:31
Maybe we'll get some Yago9 photo-real magic for Michaels model.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj299/theBone11/2009-7-3_14-54-10-120.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj299/theBone11/30.jpg

HAHAHA! You forgot to tell us that you were conceived on the horizontal stab of an F-100 while it was in burner on a runup test. [/QUOTE

I thought that was you.....

Dave

My parents were Astronaughties, Dave. I was conceived via a space shot.
:guinness::pop4:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj299/theBone11/FlyPics/NassuaBahamasShuttlelaunch059.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj299/theBone11/FlyPics/NassuaBahamasShuttlelaunch070.jpg

ColoKent
July 3rd, 2009, 08:18
...is the MASSIVE variety of paint schemes one could do for it-- it spanned that period when we had bare metal with colorful squadron markings, and moved into the Vietnam camo, and into the early 70's ANG schemes. Just a COOL period...I'm gettin it when it's available!!!!

Michael, any plans to do a two-seater????

Kent

fliger747
July 4th, 2009, 10:29
A single engine aircraft will have no V2 Speed, the engine tanks and there is no surprises about what will happen, it will descend to earth. An Eight Holer such as the BUFF will generally have a lower spread between V1 and V2 than a four holer, and much smaller than a two holer in which things can become exciting depending on the weight, power available spacing and location of the "holes".

A fighter pilot friend uses the motto "Speed is Life", a good corralary is "Never run out of Altitude...."

T.