PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for freeware downloads, besides Flightsim.com?

Navy Chief
June 28th, 2009, 04:21
AVSIM was where I got most of my downloads, until they were hacked. I know they are in the process of rebuilding, and will take some time. No problem.

Flightsim.com is my "secondary" download site. But without a paid membership, the speed is so slow.

Simviation (even though I have popup blocker on) annoyingly still tries to open one, and the speed there for a free membership is even slower than Flightsim.com

Anyone suggest some other sites? I have probably been to them all, but you never know.

Thanks..

NC

IanP
June 28th, 2009, 05:32
Here? Where it says "Add-ons" at the top? :)

Cazzie
June 28th, 2009, 05:50
Here? Where it says "Add-ons" at the top? :)

Here, here! :ernae: Plenty of righteous stuff right here at the Outhouse Chief.

Besides FlightSim and AvSim (and here), I always sought out Simviation.

http://simviation.com/menu.html

Caz

Navy Chief
June 28th, 2009, 07:03
Thanks! And of course, I download quite frequently from here too!!!

:icon29:

NC

dswo
June 28th, 2009, 09:41
http://www.fs-shipyards.org/

Naismith
June 28th, 2009, 10:39
Surclaro is not too slow, but you have to register.

Navy Chief
June 28th, 2009, 11:31
http://www.fs-shipyards.org/

I liked your links to the tour of Japan. Maybe you can answer this question, with regards to that. When I was at MCAS Iwakuni in '96, I remember going with some Marines to an island not far from there. What I remember most is there were tiny deer all over the place when our ferry docked. They begged for food like dogs, and if you fed one, a bunch more would come running. Also, not far from the dock area was a sort of temple with monkeys laying about, sleeping. Any ideas which island this might have been?

Thanks.

NC

barryward12345
June 28th, 2009, 12:32
Google is your friend!

Miyajima, a beautiful isle that’s about an hour drive from Iwakuni and a 10-minute ferry ride across the water, is where we spent our last two days.
The isle’s dark orange shrine and buildings offer a vivid contrast against lush hillsides and blue waters. The air is scented sweetly by the tasty bean-filled momiji manju maple cakes. And those who can afford it may choose to stay at one of the exquisite ryokans, the traditional Japanese inn that reveals the thoughtful intimacy of this nation’s people.
If there is just one word of caution, it’s this: Beware of the deer. It’s not that they are really vicious (locals have sawed down their antlers to leave them defenseless), but if they detect food, they’ll pester tourists to the point where they have two choices. Choice A: give them the vittles and hope it satisfies them. Choice B: Hightail it.

Barry

dswo
June 28th, 2009, 13:06
I was going to say the same thing -- Miyajima.

Navy Chief
June 28th, 2009, 13:32
That's it! Thanks! Interesting place. But if you visit, do NOT feed the deer!

DSWO, I was somewhat surprised, but didn't see Miyajima listed on the FS tour of Japan.

NC

Lionheart
June 28th, 2009, 14:30
www.Simviation.com is a fantastic sight. That was the first one I ever went to in my earliest FS days. Great file system, photos of the planes by the files, file sizes, etc...

They now have commercials and a couple of popups in order to pay their bills, but still all free.

They have a good news side too.

It would be cool if SimFlight started a freeware area to download from. I imagine their hands are pretty full though with the payware store they have. Would be nice though if they did have some freeware there.

Bill

IanP
June 29th, 2009, 08:52
I'm no longer staff at simFlight (unless you count deleting :173go1: spammers as staff) but the idea of there being a freeware repository there has been publicly discussed and decided against a number of times.

The basis of this is that, as has been said a lot recently, the FS userbase is shrinking and shrinking and shrinking. I guess we don't have big enough explosions to keep the kids happy. But with such a small number of people and an ever burgeoning number of sites to visit, all you are doing by adding another site doing the same thing is splitting the hobby down further with each site created.

Most people, when polled, visited less than five sites a day - if I remember correctly, the mean number was three - so if you have, say, flightsim, avsim, simviation... very few people are going to get to simflight or even here.

Do we really want to be constantly splitting the market down further?