PDA

View Full Version : Just thought I'd share the news...

idancesafetydance
June 27th, 2009, 12:43
I solo'd this Friday in a Schweizer SGS 2-33 nicknamed "Taco" at the C.A.P. National Flight Academy at Mattoon IL. Out of 24 people 4 of us solo'd and the rest pre-solo'd. I guess your supposed to have 30 flights before you can solo, but I did it in 19. I'll get pics of Taco eventually, my camera battery died. Gee... I used to love powered flight, but gliding makes powered seem, uninteresting to me now.:jump:

luckydog
June 27th, 2009, 13:16
Congratulations IDSD !!!!

I put about 5 hrs in a '33 back when they first came out but never soloed...... I prefer the longer rides in a powered aircraft.

If you haven't already, check out the Condor Soaring sim. It's a blast!!!
I've been soaring on Condor for almost 2 yrs. now and love it (under the name of "Snake Eater").

LD

idancesafetydance
June 27th, 2009, 13:17
Congratulations IDSD !!!!

I put about 5 hrs in a '33 back when they first came out but never soloed...... I prefer the longer rides in a powered aircraft.

If you haven't already, check out the Condor Soaring sim. It's a blast!!!
I've been soaring on Condor for almost 2 yrs. now and love it (under the name of "Snake Eater").

LD

condor soaring sim... hmmmm.. how much?

Maarten -
June 27th, 2009, 13:33
Congratulations. :ernae:
Yeah, to me gliding is the nicest form of flying too. Unfortunately for medical reasons I may not fly on my own anymore, but it is still nice to be a "passenger".

Don't know if you know about Wolgang Piper's FS Glider site, but here's the link. Quite a few "plastic" aircraft but even more "classics" (wood/fabric).
http://www.fsglider.de/index.htm

Many happy landings,
Maarten

luckydog
June 27th, 2009, 14:02
condor soaring sim... hmmmm.. how much?

You can find it at the Flightsim pilot shop for $49.95 (download). There's also a Plane Pack 1 that'll give you 5 more aircraft for an extra $14.

Bomber_12th
June 27th, 2009, 15:03
Congratulations! A cousin of mine, while he was young enough, was part of the C.A.P. down in New Mexico, where he became a pilot, and then flew gliders considerably, and never had more fun in his life - it seemed like he enjoyed gliders over powered-aircraft much more as well. He told me once that he and other members would go up and dogfight with gliders against each other on every weekend possible.

idancesafetydance
June 27th, 2009, 15:40
Congratulations! A cousin of mine, while he was young enough, was part of the C.A.P. down in New Mexico, where he became a pilot, and then flew gliders considerably, and never had more fun in his life - it seemed like he enjoyed gliders over powered-aircraft much more as well. He told me once that he and other members would go up and dogfight with gliders against each other on every weekend possible.
Oh man that' cool. I feel bad for my instructor though, to get back home he had to tow behind a 182 for 5 hours... 182 are rough, they throw you around alot, the only solution is a low tow position, but it still is hard becuase at 80 MPH you need anywhere from 10-20 lbs of stick force to turn and such. ouch....

PeteHam
June 27th, 2009, 20:13
Congratulations :applause: :applause:

It's one of the events you'll remember always :jump:

Pete.

guzzi
June 28th, 2009, 02:05
Congratulations - flying a glider takes a lot more skill than power flying. Indeed a couple of training captains I know for major airlines always say glider pilots are much smoother on the controls!
Maybe one day you'll get to fly something a bit plusher than a 2-33A. Coming from Europe and having flown one in Canada I have to say it was the worst handling training sailplane I ever flew - so you have my admiration for soloing one!

TomSteber
June 28th, 2009, 02:13
Congrats! Sounds like your a natural. I got to fly a 2-33A back in 1983. I was 16 at the time. It was in Elmyra NY. Home of the Schweizer sailplane factory.

Drake
June 28th, 2009, 02:13
Congrats!

Richard Westcott
June 28th, 2009, 05:22
Congratulations, I used to glide at Culdrose in the UK, never made a solo though.

rpjkw
June 28th, 2009, 05:51
Congratulations, IDSD!:ernae::jump: I also soloed in a 2-32 way back in 1965. Believe me, the memory will last a lifetime.

Bob

idancesafetydance
June 28th, 2009, 11:15
thanks guys, My next post will have the pictures of taco.. if i can find where my dad hid the battery after it was charged. :isadizzy:

phantomx1
June 28th, 2009, 18:27
Congrats idancesafetydance! Wonderful type of flying to better indulge in the study of weather elements. I'd like to do sail planing some day. I fly ultralight which yields a good opportunity to get closer to understanding the elements and micro-meteorology and thermals. I would love to become proficient at lengthy cross country in a sailplane or even using the lesser ultralight rigid wing hang gliders. I love to read the descriptive stories of cross country in either of the two types. I find it down right amazing to cross country in them using only natures elements and go many hundreds of miles in a days time. My favorite birds are buzzards! LOL! They are masters of the air. Congrats to you on your new adventure!

whitehawk_2009
June 28th, 2009, 19:26
Congratulations, Cadet Holden!

I got my first flight training at IL Wing's Johnson's Flight Encampment and it got me well on the way to getting my PPL. Back then, we had the big Aerospace Education books and my unit had an exceptionally good AE Officer. The whole experience really helped me through Private ground school.

CAP will give you many unique opprotunities, take advantage of every one you can!

Have you guys in WI wing had your Ground Team Academy yet? I had heard there was some problems getting Volk Field over Memorial Day weekend.

2d Lt Nelson
DCC GLR-IL-284
Illinois Valley Composite Flight

idancesafetydance
June 28th, 2009, 21:14
Congratulations, Cadet Holden!

I got my first flight training at IL Wing's Johnson's Flight Encampment and it got me well on the way to getting my PPL. Back then, we had the big Aerospace Education books and my unit had an exceptionally good AE Officer. The whole experience really helped me through Private ground school.

CAP will give you many unique opprotunities, take advantage of every one you can!

Have you guys in WI wing had your Ground Team Academy yet? I had heard there was some problems getting Volk Field over Memorial Day weekend.

2d Lt Nelson
DCC GLR-IL-284
Illinois Valley Composite Flight I haven't heard any recent news on groundteam weekend... but I hope we do have it.

LonelyplanetXO
June 29th, 2009, 02:30
Well done Cadet Holden! I started learning to fly in a glider but sadly my wings were clipped by financial issues, then buying a house, and mortgage...blah blah... In the 20 odd hours I clocked up i can honestly say flying solo was the most incredible experience. I recall the words of another student, "isn't it amazing how many more creaks and rattles there are when you're not with an instructor"... Oh, and Don't listen to the power crowd - many of the pilots who have become famous as a result of extroadinary achievements, like Chesley Sullenberger; have significant glider time. Stick with it - you'll love it. Amazing old aircraft too! I think the club I was at had those at one stage but replaced them with Czech built Puchateks, which were light years ahead. Also had a Grob 103 and PW5's & 6's. Great memories!

LPXO