PDA

View Full Version : I avoided financial catastrophe....THIS time.

Navy Chief
June 25th, 2009, 10:16
I had been outside working for a couple hours, and was inside taking a break and decided to check my email.

There was a msg from the security dept. of my bank, saying a new "Bill Payer" had been added to my account, and was verifying that I had approved it.

Not only had I NOT done so, but the bas.....rds had accessed my bank account, and added themselves. Fortunately I found out about this less than 10 minutes after they breached my account. I immediately called the security folks. Had all my access info changed, plus they are tracing the source. And I quickly deleted the new "bill payer" from my account.

I then ran a antispyware on all three computers we have. One laptop (wireless connection downstairs), and two pcs upstairs. My system had some Adaware, but my wifes pc had several trojans. She spends hours on Facebook, doing all sorts of polls/surveys, etc.... I did some checking, and am fairly certain THAT is where the majority of the viruses came from, and quite possibly led to the problems with my account. Not sure, but Facebook apps viruses are quite common, I have found out.

I was fortunate to have found the problem when I did. There was already a "pending" payment of about $350 to these crooks!!!

So much evil out there.

NC

Dangerousdave26
June 25th, 2009, 10:53
Facebook and myspace are homes for these type of People. They have infected many a person. Luckily you caught it.

Toastmaker
June 25th, 2009, 10:55
Good that you caught it early, Chief. An attaboy to your bank for being on top of things !

Navy Chief
June 25th, 2009, 12:29
Facebook and myspace are homes for these type of People. They have infected many a person. Luckily you caught it.

Dave, on a different subject, I found your McHale's Airlines to be quite interesting. I am in contact on a regular basis with only one of my former shipmates, a AT1(AW) Retired, Fran McHale. He will get a kick out of this graphic. I tried to get him interested in MS FLight Sim a few years ago, but he never really got into it.

NC

mcjerkyls
June 25th, 2009, 18:14
Just a heads up ladies, or FWIW, but I have been on both Facebook and Myspace for 4+ years each, and have never had a problem with either. I actively keep in touch with friends on both, and have never had any problems. Then again, I only use the basic messaging systems for both sites, and never EVER EVER do I use any stupid ass surveys, questionairres, or anything other than the original functions of the site ( basic friends page posting, or private messages). I believe if you stick to these basic designs of the sites, you shall do just fine. Why do you need to tell your friends how many PBJ sandwiches and how many hours of TV youve had per week? You dont. Good luck in the future, and leave the internet for what its intended, not as a gateway for the world to enter your life.......

Willy
June 25th, 2009, 18:25
Just a heads up ladies, or FWIW, but I have been on both Facebook and Myspace for 4+ years each, and have never had a problem with either. I actively keep in touch with friends on both, and have never had any problems. Then again, I only use the basic messaging systems for both sites, and never EVER EVER do I use any stupid ass surveys, questionairres, or anything other than the original functions of the site ( basic friends page posting, or private messages). I believe if you stick to these basic designs of the sites, you shall do just fine. Why do you need to tell your friends how many PBJ sandwiches and how many hours of TV youve had per week? You dont. Good luck in the future, and leave the internet for what its intended, not as a gateway for the world to enter your life.......

I've had a myspace account for a couple of years now to help me keep up with my family which is scattered from North Carolina to Texas and it's bone stock. Any links or other non-myspace stuff don't get clicked on. About all I use on it is the blog and photo uploads function plus the occasional message. Just keep it bare bones and don't click on any links that you don't know where they're going and you'll be fine.

kilo delta
June 26th, 2009, 02:31
My sister had her Paypal account hacked by a "nice" Chinese individual this week. He stole €250 from her and closed off her account in order to make it more difficult for her to deal with the situation. Fortunately, Paypal will be reibursing her in full and are investigating the crime.
She had made a purchase through Paypal a few weeks earlier using her pc in work. I got her to do a virus check and we found a number of keyloggers.......one of which no doubt had collected her account details.