PDA

View Full Version : Martin Baker

gedm
June 23rd, 2009, 15:30
I dont know if anyone in the basement has been following the thread over at the FS2004 forum about the Alphasim M.B.5 repaints.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=18167

But SOH member NickB had done up some sweet "what if" repaints for the FS9 version with a follow up alpha channel tweak for FSX by Rich. As luck would have it the FSX alpha channel adjustment also worked in the old uncivil sim (ours) so I took the liberty of tweaking the airfile and dp. for the CFS2 conversion by Shessi.
The dp. is for the prototype model since it has no wingtanks.

Once I adjust the reticle in the 2d panel I'll upload.

Cheers

G

Collin
June 23rd, 2009, 15:45
Hi G, been using the RAF662 version, built for cfs2, with a good dp.

Just waiting for some lovely fella to make a navalised version with folding wings and a hooky.

regards Collin:ernae:

Shadow Wolf 07
June 23rd, 2009, 16:01
Yes Collin, I have that one too :medals::icon29:

Rich
June 23rd, 2009, 17:29
No folding wings or visual tailhook but the Alphasim version has a tailhook in the aircraft.cfg so it might work in CFS2 with the tailhook key, I have'nt got CFS2 installed so can't check it.

Rich
June 23rd, 2009, 17:48
Sorry just rechecked the origional MB5 download and it does not have the tailhook entry in aircraft.cfg, I added one to mine for use in FSX with the cat facility also, the cat I suspect will not work in CFS2 but the tailhook should.

This is my tailhook entry, you may want to try it just copy/paste it into your CFS aircraft.cfg maybe right at the bottom.

[tailhook]
tailhook_length = 4.5
tailhook_position = -18.0, 0.0, 0.0
cable_force_adjust=1.0

Helldiver
June 23rd, 2009, 18:45
Er... Could you make one for the U.S. Navy to try out on evaluation. With bright shiny blue paint and the letter "L" on the tail and the wings.
Only wishing...

NickB
June 24th, 2009, 08:07
HD is this the kind of thing you are thinking about?

Helldiver
June 24th, 2009, 08:19
Nick B - How does one get a hold of this jewel? Who do you want to have me kill?

NickB
June 24th, 2009, 08:59
Who do you want to have me kill?
I''ll have a think about that and get back to you.

In the meantime, I have to tidy a few details before these are ready to upload. Rich or someone else will still have to make the necessary changes for them to work properly in FSX and CFS2 as I have neither of these.

Helldiver
June 24th, 2009, 10:47
As long as your tidying up, take the "L" on the tail and make it twice as large and centered on the tail. If you can, put a new car shine on the paint. On the F6-F the Navy found that they got 15 MPH when they went to gloss paint.
For this, I may commit to do away wih two people.

Togo
June 24th, 2009, 12:10
Wow!!:applause::applause::applause:

Rich
June 24th, 2009, 15:57
Nick, the bit to fix is MB5BANDP.bmp if you can get it to me. less than a minutes work or if you have any of my fixed versions open MB5BANDP.bmp with DXTbmp open the alpha channel click edit, sellect all, copy then open your new paint with DXTbmp, open the alpha channel click edit then paste it should give you 2 black squares, click save in DXTbmp click Alpha then refresh Alpha then save it as 32 bit/DXT3 or whatever, you should then have the prop and canopy fixed.

gedm
June 24th, 2009, 20:59
Hi G, been using the RAF662 version, built for cfs2, with a good dp.

Collin are you tellin me the cfs2 conversion already had a dp. with a weapons loadout?
If so, then I wonder why my cfs2 M.B. didnt have any oridinance in the dp.?
What ever the case, thanks for the info and no point in re-inventing the wheel as they say.. :ernae:

G

Rich
June 24th, 2009, 21:06
gedm, Re no point in re-inventing the wheel as they say, there is as that is a entirely different model it is not a conversion of the alpha model, the RAF662 version is pretty old now and the dp probably would not work on the alphasim model

Collin are you tellin me the cfs2 conversion already had a dp. with a weapons loadout?
If so, then I wonder why my cfs2 M.B. didnt have any oridinance in the dp.?
What ever the case, thanks for the info and no point in re-inventing the wheel as they say.. :ernae:

G

gedm
June 24th, 2009, 21:18
AHH..that would be the problem, I was unaware of the other M.B.5. I assumed Collin was talking about the Alphasim bird...my mistake.

Thanks Rich

G

Rich
June 24th, 2009, 21:42
gedm, be aware Tim Conrad has also done a MB5 model so there are at least 2 beside the Alphasim model

Collin
June 24th, 2009, 23:30
Gedm and all....

RAF662 MB5 can be found here
http://www.raf662.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=32&min=10&orderby=titleA&show=10

Alphasim's thingy is here, (but I keep getting the 'time-out' page).
http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=alpha_martin-baker_mb5_fs9.zip

Piglets version is here, (but you get the 'Page Error' message).
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=archive&loc=downloads&FileType=cfs2-aircraft&page=downloads&Category=BRI

I think this lot are for cfs2, well, they say they are.:icon_lol:

Are Piglets and Alphasim the same one?

Back at the turn of the century (luv that phrase but makes me sound a right git), I had a email conversation with the grandson of Martin Baker, (Andrew I think his name is). Upshot was, while there were no official plans made, navalising the aircraft would have entailed a slight increase in wing length between the undercarriage root and the first inboard gun to house the wing fold mechanism, and a hook similar to a Firefly's.

Skinners please note Rolls Royce badge went near the spinner and Griffon went under the exhaust (though the latter may well be painted over).

Great shame this aircraft never went into production.
Still that never stopped a cfs2 simmer...below are 2 piccies from a BPF experimental campaign and a picture of the replica in America.:icon_lol:

Rich
June 24th, 2009, 23:50
Hi Collin

Gedm and all....

RAF662 MB5 can be found here
http://www.raf662.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=32&min=10&orderby=titleA&show=10

While this was done for CFS2 that was I think about 9 years ago so a much older model

Alphasim's thingy is here, (but I keep getting the 'time-out' page).
http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=alpha_martin-baker_mb5_fs9.zip

This is because Avsim has been down for over a month but it can be found on Flightsim.com while the Alphasim model is not CFS2 a conversion was done by Shessi I think

Piglets version is here, (but you get the 'Page Error' message).
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=archive&loc=downloads&FileType=cfs2-aircraft&page=downloads&Category=BRI

I think that link goes to avsim also so the reason for the page error is the same as for the Alphsim at avsim

I think this lot are for cfs2, well, they say they are.:icon_lol:

Are Piglets and Alphasim the same one?

No they are 2 entirely different things, Piglets model is also older than the Alphasim

Back at the turn of the century (luv that phrase but makes me sound a right git), I had a email conversation with the grandson of Martin Baker, (Andrew I think his name is). Upshot was, while there were no official plans made, navalising the aircraft would have entailed a slight increase in wing length between the undercarriage root and the first inboard gun to house the wing fold mechanism, and a hook similar to a Firefly's.

Skinners please note Rolls Royce badge went near the spinner and Griffon went under the exhaust (though the latter may well be painted over).

Great shame this aircraft never went into production.
Still that never stopped a cfs2 simmer...below are 2 piccies from a BPF experimental campaign and a picture of the replica in America.:icon_lol:

Rich
June 25th, 2009, 00:22
Please note, the paint files for the MB5 that NickB has uploaded to SOH Fs 2004 repaints are for Fs 2004 and will still have the black prop and the canopy is not transparent, for CFS2 download these files the black prop and canopy has been fixed in them

All paints uploaded in a single pack including racers, still waiting for a password to upload to SOH so for the time being they are only availiable in the single pack at CBF.

This is to fix the black prop textures in FSX and it works in CFS2 there is no claim the model is FSX or CFS2 but Shessi did a conversion to CFS, it works ok I am told. While they will work in Fs9 I think it makes the prop and canopy a little to transparent so for Fs9 use stick with Nicks textures.

Included is settings for carrier ops both Cat (not CFS) and trap, there is no visible hook on the model but since there are some FAA paints I added virtual hook.

http://classicbritishfiles.com/index...leinfo&id=1335 (http://classicbritishfiles.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=28&func=fileinfo&id=1335)

Collin
June 25th, 2009, 13:35
Oldest maybe, but I find the RAF662 version still the best for cfs2 and works well as AI. In a early and altered DCG campaign my wingmen soon became high scoring aces using this version.

This is not to say that the others are bad, they certainly look good, but in cfs2 its the combat and the fps for the guys out there with the small computers.

& Co.
June 26th, 2009, 03:04
Hi all,

Is it me, or SOH d/l links for Shessi's MB5s are down? I keep trying and keep getting a "page not found" error.
If links are really down, could someone please reupload?

Many, many, many thanks in advance.

UncleTgt
June 26th, 2009, 03:50
It's not you ...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=16411

... be patient, it'll take a while to fix all the missing upload links. The staff now have a list to work from, & are working their way through it ...

& Co.
June 26th, 2009, 13:32
Roger that, UncleTgt. Thanks for the answer.

rmalone
June 26th, 2009, 15:36
don't know if you guys have this done or not, but here is what i got

rm

Rich
June 26th, 2009, 16:02
What are we supposed to be looking for, prop fix has already been done without loosing the tyres,exhaust and other bits.

don't know if you guys have this done or not, but here is what i got

rm

rmalone
June 26th, 2009, 16:25
prop was it.
RM

Rich
June 26th, 2009, 17:08
rmalone,
download the file using the link below and you will have the prop fixed on all current paints, I was going to upload to SOH but since it does'nt fit either FSX or CFS category I will leave it just availiable on Classic British Files to keep the purist police off my back.

If you do download it look at MB5BANDP.bmp with DXTbmp and look at the alpha channel there are 2 small squares as you know the 1 in the bottom left corner is the prop the higher 1 is the canopy the rest is white, it looks to me as if you applied a blanket alpha to the whole bmp hence the loss of tyres etc.

Keep at it, nice to see you are trying to do it yourself few do

Please note, the paint files for the MB5 that NickB has uploaded to SOH Fs 2004 repaints are for Fs 2004 and will still have the black prop and the canopy is not transparent, for CFS2 download these files the black prop and canopy has been fixed in them

All paints uploaded in a single pack including racers, still waiting for a password to upload to SOH so for the time being they are only availiable in the single pack at CBF.

This is to fix the black prop textures in FSX and it works in CFS2 there is no claim the model is FSX or CFS2 but Shessi did a conversion to CFS, it works ok I am told. While they will work in Fs9 I think it makes the prop and canopy a little to transparent so for Fs9 use stick with Nicks textures.

Included is settings for carrier ops both Cat (not CFS) and trap, there is no visible hook on the model but since there are some FAA paints I added virtual hook.

http://classicbritishfiles.com/index...leinfo&id=1335 (http://classicbritishfiles.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=28&func=fileinfo&id=1335)

rmalone
June 26th, 2009, 17:29
Rich got the tires fixed also, they really came on their own go figure- thanks for the link

rm

Shessi
June 27th, 2009, 11:51
Hi Folks,
It's a shame that the downloads are down for this one, as I had modded the mdl for the glass and re-done the tex for the prop in the conversion, would have saved a lot of people hassle!! ho hum never mind.....:d

These skins do look good on the beastie.
Got to say that although the P51 is one good looking ac I think the MB5 has the edge on it..... if only!

Cheers Shessi