PDA

View Full Version : 'An American Icon & Legend Retires'

Panther_99FS
June 22nd, 2009, 08:33
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Dispatch/default.aspx?feat=1162584&GT1=33009

Henry
June 22nd, 2009, 08:42
Truly a sad day
there still is not anything to beat it
H

n4gix
June 22nd, 2009, 16:29
Kodachrome: Neil Simon

http://www.rhapsody.com/-search?query=Kodachrome&searchtype=RhapTrack

Collin
June 22nd, 2009, 17:33
Truly a sad day
there still is not anything to beat it
H

Go with that mate...still got some in the fridge.

regards Collin:ernae:

WuhWuzDat
June 22nd, 2009, 19:57
Collin, use it or lose it, the last plant that develops it will stop proccessing it next year.

Jeff

Collin
June 23rd, 2009, 01:29
Collin, use it or lose it, the last plant that develops it will stop proccessing it next year.

Jeff

Flog it off on ebay, buyer collects.:icon_lol:

Cazzie
June 23rd, 2009, 01:56
I wish I had a dollar for every "bad" picture I ever took on a roll of one of those. Good riddance, costly overhead! Wish I had had digital when I shot for NASCAR back in the lates 70s and early 80s, sure would have saved me and Grand National Scene a bunch of $$$.

This is one piece of nostalgia I can live without and believe me, that's because I used so much of the stuff that I know how much more convenient digital is. No more lugging around a dozen rolls of film stashed in a shotgun-like vest. No more wasted plastic bottles left to fester in someone's garbage dump. No more waiting for the film to be developed or costly chemicals and darkroom to do it yourself. GOOD-BY.

Caz

Panther_99FS
June 23rd, 2009, 03:48
I wish I had a dollar for every "bad" picture I ever took on a roll of one of those. Good riddance, costly overhead! Wish I had had digital when I shot for NASCAR back in the lates 70s and early 80s, sure would have saved me and Grand National Scene a bunch of $$$.

This is one piece of nostalgia I can live without and believe me, that's because I used so much of the stuff that I know how much more convenient digital is. No more lugging around a dozen rolls of film stashed in a shotgun-like vest. No more wasted plastic bottles left to fester in someone's garbage dump. No more waiting for the film to be developed or costly chemicals and darkroom to do it yourself. GOOD-BY.

Caz

One of the best things about Kodachrome was its ability to maintain color....(99yrs or so). There's not a film out today that can match this. If it weren't for Kodachrome's ability to maintain color, we might be looking at these "recently discovered old pictures" in black & white instead of color...:mixedsmi:

Navy Chief
June 23rd, 2009, 04:08
I predicted this once digitals came out. Their prices have come down drastically, and to tell you the truth......the high-end digital cameras produce truly outstanding pictures.....

NC

Panther_99FS
June 23rd, 2009, 04:53
..the high-end digital cameras produce truly outstanding pictures.....

NC

Quite true...
However in the end, as with traditional film cameras, the end result is only as good as the photographer behind the lense...:engel016:

FlyTexas
June 23rd, 2009, 05:58
I predicted this once digitals came out. Their prices have come down drastically, and to tell you the truth......the high-end digital cameras produce truly outstanding pictures.....

NC

Yep, it's amazing the pics the digital cameras can produce. Love your new avatar, Chief. That's a fine looking kitty. :)

Brian

MaskRider
June 23rd, 2009, 06:21
Oh. I thought this thread was gonna be about Ed MCMahon dying. Hiii-Oooooh!

Collin
June 23rd, 2009, 07:13
Hey Caz, you getting your chromes mixed up?

Koda had to be returned to Kodak for developing.

Ekta could be developed at home using E6.

Ektachrome was good for action stuff whereas Kodachrome was used for studio work.

All you digital fans out there, until you have seen a 5x4 Kodachrome tranny blown up you won't know what yer missing.:icon_lol:

Henry
June 23rd, 2009, 07:43
Hey Caz, you getting your chromes mixed up?

Koda had to be returned to Kodak for developing.

Ekta could be developed at home using E6.

Ektachrome was good for action stuff whereas Kodachrome was used for studio work.

All you digital fans out there, until you have seen a 5x4 Kodachrome tranny blown up you won't know what yer missing.:icon_lol:

There is a world of difference between Kodachrome and E6 and actually a lot of advertising and Art companies
that will only accept Kodachrome slides and not Digital
images,
Digital is a lot more accessible as Cazzie said no more
films to carry and you know what you have there and then.
Quality? even with todays high quality digitals
if you compare using the same lens
Kodachrome will win
cos that depends on the scanner you are using also
but a high quality scan will beat all.
and Colin you cannot compare a 4x5 trannie
unless you have a 4x5 digital:icon_lol: theres not too many of them out there.
im talking 35mm .
but thats the price of progress if no ones buying film
then why make it and Process it
K13 is an expensive and hard to maintain process.
As a former lab manager we gave up processing E6
a few years ago as there was not enough film to keep up the machine
Its still Sad
H

wombat666
June 23rd, 2009, 08:08
I go along with Henry 110%, even if I was more of a Fujifilm person.
Kodak and Fuji both closed down their Australian plants around 2-3 years ago.
It caused a deal of angst among employees who were no longer, but I imagine they were part of the cause ...... :kilroy:
Digital cameras are still only good for 'Happy Snaps' unless you get right up to the bleeding edge, and then it's either or.
Shame.

Panther_99FS
June 23rd, 2009, 09:30
Kodachrome will win
H

Yes Henry...
My research has shown that even today's most advanced digital cameras still can't capture certain aspects of the color spectrum as well as traditional film....

Collin
June 23rd, 2009, 11:41
There is a world of difference between Kodachrome and E6 and actually a lot of advertising and Art companies
that will only accept Kodachrome slides and not Digital
images,
Digital is a lot more accessible as Cazzie said no more
films to carry and you know what you have there and then.
Kodachrome will win
cos that depends on the scanner you are using also
but a high quality scan will beat all.
and Colin you cannot compare a 4x5 trannie
unless you have a 4x5 digital:icon_lol: theres not too many of them out there.
im talking 35mm .
but thats the price of progress if no ones buying film
then why make it and Process it
K13 is an expensive and hard to maintain process.
As a former lab manager we gave up processing E6
a few years ago as there was not enough film to keep up the machine
Its still Sad
H

Henry, I meant that the detail and depth of colour of a 5x4 tranny is truly awesome.:icon_lol:
Kodak stopped making 5x4 and 10x8 Kodachrome in the mid 50's but the firm I worked for managed to source some 5x4 which Kodak UK agreed to process.
I sold my 5x4 camera and its paraphernalia back in 91, now its the turn of my darkroom gear and 35mm Canon's.

A trick some stargazers used was to freeze Kodachrome 25 and then use it in their telescope camera's at a setting of about 100 ASA.

Naismith
June 23rd, 2009, 11:43
Digital photography is great for 90% of people. But it is still not hi def enough (yet) for professional and scientific purposes. There will no doubt be a backlash by purists in a few years like that which has occured with recorded music. Some would argue that CD's do not sound as good as vinyl. Personally I can live without the pops, crackles and skips that LP's and 45's exhibited.
But technology marches on. In the main it is a good thing. There will always be a downside. I can think of one or four.
E-mails - killing the art of letter writing. Think of the possible loss to history on that score.
Cell phones - the rise of texting and death of grammer.
Cell phones (again) - Breed bad manners. Have you noticed that when that little sucker beeps it has to be answered immediately, breaking off face to face conversations in order to speak on the device. Yet a landline phone can ring for hours and no-one will pick it up.
VHS tapes - Try finding a retailer who still stocks them.

Henry
June 23rd, 2009, 12:45
Henry, I meant that the detail and depth of colour of a 5x4 tranny is truly awesome.:icon_lol:
Kodak stopped making 5x4 and 10x8 Kodachrome in the mid 50's but the firm I worked for managed to source some 5x4 which Kodak UK agreed to process.
I sold my 5x4 camera and its paraphernalia back in 91, now its the turn of my darkroom gear and 35mm Canon's.

A trick some stargazers used was to freeze Kodachrome 25 and then use it in their telescope camera's at a setting of about 100 ASA.

try selling darkroom gear now:engel016:
i have a bunch.
as far as freezing i have a friend who still does just that
even B&W film
works well he has also done some in Nitrogen
H