PDA

View Full Version : Vietnam Aircraft Carriers

OBIO
June 20th, 2009, 17:15
I am in need of a couple Vietnam era carriers in the South China Sea....I have some decent to nice Vietnam Era carrier fighters that I need to send into North Vietnam....and I can do it from Bora Bora, Tahiti, off the west coast of Chile (which is were all the carriers I have found are located).

Anyone have links for Vietnam Era carriers within striking range of targets in Vietnam?

OBIO

I spent the day working with gauges and effects...and finally got the older Alpha Sim freeware F-4N to have the effects I want the way I want them. Once I regauge the 2D panel, get gauges onto the VC panel, I will upload the updated bird. Not the best F-4 going for FS2004, but it is the best freeware F-4 with a VC (okay, so the VC is very basic, it is still a VC).

Sarge
June 20th, 2009, 17:28
AlphaSim's Big "E" (CVN65)
Abacus Vietnam Carrier OP's

OBIO
June 20th, 2009, 17:56
Any free ones? I have Paul Clawson's USS Stinson, which I can move into Vietnam waters....but would really like to have the Oriskany, Forrestal, Intrepid, Enterprise. Suppose it doesn't really matter, just as long as I can get a couple carriers into Vietnam waters for launching and attempted trapping.

OBIO

OBIO
June 20th, 2009, 18:00
Does any one know if the Stennis can be renamed and placed in a number of places. Could I make a Oriskany, Forrestal, Intrepid, Enterprise out of the Stennis and position them around Vietnam?

OBIO

Motormouse
June 20th, 2009, 18:08
IIRC there's a CFS2 scenery 'Forrestal'/'Kittyhawk' set somewhere,made from one of Paul Clawson's scenery objects, a search under 'yankee station' at the usual places should get it. I have it on my home rig, but I'm not home for another 2 weeks....

As for fighters/bombers , don't discount the fine F-8 Crusader by Roland Laborie & friends,
Alphasim Skywarrior and Vigilante (all free)

and Razbam's payware Skyhawks and Skyraiders

sure there's more, but these are all I could think of right now!

ttfn

Pete

OBIO
June 20th, 2009, 20:22
I have Vietnam Era Naval planes aplenty:

From the Alpha Sim freeware collection:

F8F, F-4s, F-8s, A-4s, F-3D, A-1s (props don't show but I could care less, still going to fly them), RA-5C, A-6A, A-7s

RAZBAM: T-2 and A-4s

Rick Sasala: A-6E and EA-6B

Cessna Birddog by somebody

IRIS: A-7

Piglet: T-28 and F-5s

Just need to get some carriers in place for some In Country action.

OBIO

Agung
June 20th, 2009, 20:40
I am in need of a couple Vietnam era carriers in the South China Sea....I have some decent to nice Vietnam Era carrier fighters that I need to send into North Vietnam....and I can do it from Bora Bora, Tahiti, off the west coast of Chile (which is were all the carriers I have found are located).

Anyone have links for Vietnam Era carriers within striking range of targets in Vietnam?

OBIO

I spent the day working with gauges and effects...and finally got the older Alpha Sim freeware F-4N to have the effects I want the way I want them. Once I regauge the 2D panel, get gauges onto the VC panel, I will upload the updated bird. Not the best F-4 going for FS2004, but it is the best freeware F-4 with a VC (okay, so the VC is very basic, it is still a VC).

I'm not sure if I'm getting your drift but if you already have the carriers and you need to move them to your desired locations, and if you have the Abacus EZ Scenery or Flight 1 Instant Scenery object placer software, these two files might be of use to you: ez-nim.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=120789) or ez-nimup.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=120818) both at flightsim.

Joe P
June 20th, 2009, 21:08
Don't forget CVA-31 Bon Homme Richard!

http://www.lhd6.navy.mil/site%20pages/History.aspx

OBIO
June 20th, 2009, 21:25
I'm not sure if I'm getting your drift but if you already have the carriers and you need to move them to your desired locations, and if you have the Abacus EZ Scenery or Flight 1 Instant Scenery object placer software, these two files might be of use to you: ez-nim.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=120789) or ez-nimup.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=120818) both at flightsim.

Most of the carriers I have found are in odd locations, and don't come with the files needed to relocate them. There is the USS John McCain in Bora Bora or Tahiti, but I can't launch an A-4 off a carrier named USS John McCain....that would be bad karma or something...like getting married in a funeral parlor. I have Paul Clawson's USS Stinnis, which comes with the MDL and XLM files needed to put it into new plances....so I can place that carrier where I want it.

But I was hoping that there were some carrier models out there of the Oriskany, Forrestal, Enterprise that were already in the waters around Vietnam.....with out having to go the payware route.

Will the ez-nim files work with the Runway12 object placer?

OBIO

TARPSBird
June 20th, 2009, 22:23
I'm not a scenery guru but I was under the impression that it was possible to use a CFS2 carrier (like VN's Bon Homme Richard for example) as a scenery object in FS2002/2004. The ship would not move but the structural integrity of the ship would still be there so you could land on it and set it up for Arrestor Cables or the RCBCO gauges. Somebody please correct me or provide the details if it's possible.

Agung
June 20th, 2009, 23:51
Will the ez-nim files work with the Runway12 object placer?

OBIO

I'm sorry I can't answer this question as I've never used RWY 12. I think that trying it though wouldn't involve too much trouble as the ez-nim files are small in size, 851 KB and 2,885 KB respectively. Both files contain the same Readme:

...To install, copy the [EZ-Nimitz] folder into your [Flight Simulator 9\Addon Scenery] folder and activate as usual or copy the scenery & texture folders into your [Flight Simulator 9 #Addon Scenery\Static Objects Library]...

modelr
June 21st, 2009, 04:34
I think Runway 12 can place any object that can be placed with the two payware programs. Supposedly the advantage of the paywares is the WYSIWYG interfaces.

Mick
June 21st, 2009, 06:17
I'm not a scenery guru but I was under the impression that it was possible to use a CFS2 carrier (like VN's Bon Homme Richard for example) as a scenery object in FS2002/2004. The ship would not move but the structural integrity of the ship would still be there so you could land on it and set it up for Arrestor Cables or the RCBCO gauges. Somebody please correct me or provide the details if it's possible.

Well, I tried it with the VN's CV-4 Ranger and I couldn't get it to work in GW3. It was a while ago so I don't recall in just what way it didn't work. I only remember that at first it looked like I had it. I got the ship to appear in FS9, but then couldn't do anything with it. I think maybe the sim locked up or crashed after a few minutes, but tha recollection is very hazy.

Maybe I was doing something wrong, or skipping a step. If it's really possible I sure would like to learn how!

TARPSBird
June 21st, 2009, 13:24
Mick,
I could be totally out to lunch with the CFS2 carrier thing. Maybe I'm thinking of a FS2002 carrier as a scenery object in CFS2, I'm pretty sure that's possible because the carrier's already a scenery object.

Z-AZ1USN
July 28th, 2009, 09:59

I served on the Bon Homme Richard aka "Bonnie Dick" off coast of
Viet-Nam...was with F-8C squadron then (VF-24). Bagged 5 Migs
then.

strikehawk
July 28th, 2009, 12:15
Try here...
http://www.scenery.org/carriers.htm

Although it states that the carriers are for FS98/2000 they might work as well as one from CFS2.

You'll notice the Forrestal and Hornet are off the coast of Viet Nam while the Hancock is enjoying Hawaii:icon29:

There used to be a site site called Fast Eddies that also had the FID off of Yankee Station but I didn't care for it too much. If I still have it I'll PM you.

Z-AZ1USN
August 3rd, 2009, 07:09

The 27C carriers aka Uss Hancock would be a nice addon for our
at sea landing practice....

PutPut
August 3rd, 2009, 08:33
Does any one know if the Stennis can be renamed and placed in a number of places. Could I make a Oriskany, Forrestal, Intrepid, Enterprise out of the Stennis and position them around Vietnam?

OBIO

I haven't tried this in FSX so don't throw a tizzy and 3 way snit if it doesn't work. I was able to rename the Stennis to other names in FS2004. You must rename everything: the folder, the .bgl file and the textures. If you want to relocate with bglcomp then you must also rename the .mdl file and the xml placement file. Not really that complicated, just tedious, but it did work in FS2004.

Paul

PS, I forgot this is the FS2004 thread