PDA

View Full Version : Next at Risk-- FSGenesis

srgalahad
June 19th, 2009, 21:46
Attached is an excerpt that many have seen in their mailbox. I won't copy it to the various forums as I'm tired and have to work in a few hours. It would be good if someone might post a link to this around the house...

"FSGenesis has over the past ten years been a labor of love. The fact that it at one time also provided a comfortable living was just icing on the cake. Unfortunately, economic and financial realities now dictate that full-time production must take a back seat to supporting the family. Obviously, we would rather continue to produce quality addons that the community loves, but sales are no longer sufficient to allow that production time on a daily basis."

All along, we have been operating on the smallest of margins, but the relatively steady trickle of orders spurred by significant discounts has allowed us remain barely viable. But these past two weeks especially have been woefully inadequate as even the trickle has now dried up. In particular, we are now facing an electric shutoff this coming Tuesday morning. If that becomes a reality, everything will stop abruptly."

http://www.fsgenesis.com

I'm only a customer and have no stake in this other than the potential loss of another Flight Sim Add-on supplier. I like the product; others may not . However,it appears that soon there may not be an option, so at least give it a thought...

Rob

6297J
June 19th, 2009, 23:14
Is he seriously saying that his electricity will be cut off because he can't afford to pay the bill because we aren't buying his products anymore???

I'm sorry but if that's true I have absolutely no sympathy, particularly if he also has a family to support. He's been very lucky to have made a living from his hobby up to now but times change and he should have got a job long before he couldn't afford to pay the electricity bill.

MudMarine
June 20th, 2009, 02:01
Is he seriously saying that his electricity will be cut off because he can't afford to pay the bill because we aren't buying his products anymore???

I'm sorry but if that's true I have absolutely no sympathy, particularly if he also has a family to support. He's been very lucky to have made a living from his hobby up to now but times change and he should have got a job long before he couldn't afford to pay the electricity bill.

:isadizzy: Wow.......that has to be one of the worst comments I've ever read on this forum! I have nothing more good to say so I'll keep silent!

6297J
June 20th, 2009, 02:25
:isadizzy: Wow.......that has to be one of the worst comments I've ever read on this forum! I have nothing more good to say so I'll keep silent!

In what way? Feel free to pm me if you'd rather.

If there is a risk that your current way of earning a living means that you are in danger of not being able to pay your bills, and Ill say again - especially if you have a family to support then you go and get a job. Sending out a whiney email to previous clients because people aren't buying anymore is a bit pathetic. I'm surprised a big tough flag-waving ex-Marine Republican like you would think any different!

I have bought many FSGenesis products in the past - in fact I regard them as essential addons but I'll be very surprised if it's true that he relied on it as his sole source of income.

FengZ
June 20th, 2009, 03:26
i'm pretty sure that they meant the server or their office is shutting down. The term "we" is used in relation to the company, and not his family...lets all relax guys :)

I've also been a FSGenesis member for the past 3 years and consider their products a "must have." However, their business plan has a major flaw - no returning customers. Once you buy their products, there is no more need to continue. I paid for my 100$ membership 3 years ago and have never once returned (since they haven't released anything new for FS9). It'll be cool if they released more 38mm & 19mm mesh - that'll make me come back for sure! Same goes for the landscape...that hasn't been updated at all for 3 years...

anyways, it's a shame to see them go away, but a company which doesn't stay ahead of the game can't last forever.

-feng

jmig
June 20th, 2009, 05:10
i'm pretty sure that they meant the server or their office is shutting down. The term "we" is used in relation to the company, and not his family...lets all relax guys :)

I've also been a FSGenesis member for the past 3 years and consider their products a "must have." However, their business plan has a major flaw - no returning customers. Once you buy their products, there is no more need to continue. I paid for my 100$ membership 3 years ago and have never once returned (since they haven't released anything new for FS9). It'll be cool if they released more 38mm & 19mm mesh - that'll make me come back for sure! Same goes for the landscape...that hasn't been updated at all for 3 years...

anyways, it's a shame to see them go away, but a company which doesn't stay ahead of the game can't last forever.

-feng

Justin has done a lot of new releases with FSX. I wish him the best and hope FSGenesis survives.

************************************************** ************************************************** ****************

6297J, from a business and practical POV, your statements are true. From a business POV, I can see several things he might have done to keep his business viable. From a human POV your comments can be taken as pretty harsh and uncaring. Justin and FSGenesis are family.

While there are other companies who can provide similar products he was an innovator and friend to all Flight Simmers. He is mostly a one man operation who has given his time to better our enjoyment of our hobby through endless hours of helping his customers. The term, "sweat equity" to him is real.

The lost of any flight simming company is a loss to all of us. The loss of a one man operation that was pretty much the generic name in terrain mesh and landclass is tragic from a human POV and saddens me.

I can't speak for MudMarine. However, I can and do surmise that is what he meant by his post.

Dangerousdave26
June 20th, 2009, 05:15

-feng

Honestly that is how I read what he was saying also. To me it sounded like the hosting company was going to pull the plug.

An eletrical shut off at his home would not turn down the servers.

Its sad I cant afford to purchase now so it will be one more part of FS I need to live with out.

Lionheart
June 20th, 2009, 05:43
The numbers of developers is deminishing.

I agree with Mud Marine in that if a person isnt able to bring home the bacon, its a sad thing, no matter what business you are in. Time to get work somewhere then where you can make enough to survive on.

Off topic; one of the reasons I quit making sceney with my projects was that everyone had different Mesh addons and so my airstrips were suddenly locating on towers or down in the Earth. :d arrgh... (No one had stock FS scenery).

If only you could have airport scenery's that 'auto-located' on the ground. Imagine having a huge airport like Stuttgart, and all the little vehicles and ramps and things, and having to make 3 or 4 versions of it for the different altitutudes of each Mesh package. Mind you, a good mesh package 'should' be precise in altitude, so they should all work. (Just be careful with remote airstrips in the middle of nowhere, lol).

Bill

6297J
June 20th, 2009, 05:56
I agree with Mud Marine in that if a person isnt able to bring home the bacon, its a sad thing, no matter what business you are in. Time to get work somewhere then where you can make enough to survive on.

That's exactly what I'm saying!

(Where did MM say anything like that?)

Meshman
June 20th, 2009, 06:32
Off topic; one of the reasons I quit making sceney with my projects was that everyone had different Mesh addons and so my airstrips were suddenly locating on towers or down in the Earth. :d arrgh... (No one had stock FS scenery).

STOCK scenery, what's up with that?:isadizzy:

Iffin you ever go back and make scenery for your projects LMK, I'll piece together some mesh that you can bundle with it. Afterall, it's all about the mesh man...:bump:

Lionheart
June 20th, 2009, 10:54
STOCK scenery, what's up with that?:isadizzy:

Iffin you ever go back and make scenery for your projects LMK, I'll piece together some mesh that you can bundle with it. Afterall, it's all about the mesh man...:bump:

I know, arrgh.. I am the only one in the world with stock scenery.. Ive been so busy making things that I havent really explored the mesh world...

<-- goes to the corner and puts on the pointy hat

Thanks for the offer on mesh. Much appreciated.

Bill
LHC

Henry
June 20th, 2009, 11:22

Take it from me thats not that easy
in these times
unemployed for the last 6 months
H

Panther_99FS
June 20th, 2009, 11:38
Let's not also forget....Justin could also have a physical disability...

Regardless, we need to be respectful in this thread. .

Henry
June 20th, 2009, 11:45
I agree
H

stansdds
June 20th, 2009, 12:42
Let's not also forget....Justin could also have a physical disability...

Absolutely, we don't know all of the facts. I'm sorry to see another developer on the rocks.

Francois
June 20th, 2009, 13:01

My dear man, with your attitude displayed regularly over these forums methinks you run a distinct risk in life to walk into a fist one of these days.
You're not Simon Evans' brother by any chance are you ? :pop4:

ryanbatc
June 20th, 2009, 13:45
My dear man, with your attitude displayed regularly over these forums methinks you run a distinct risk in life to walk into a fist one of these days.
You're not Simon Evans' brother by any chance are you ? :pop4:

Really? I detected no negative attitude from this post, and this is the first time I read this thread.

If FSGenesis really meant they/he were going to lose power to their house/ business, they shouldn't go complaining about it via email. That should be private financial information.

That email to me sounds like, "Start buying from us or we won't be able to put food on the table."

Moparmike
June 20th, 2009, 13:57
In what way? Feel free to pm me if you'd rather.

If there is a risk that your current way of earning a living means that you are in danger of not being able to pay your bills, and Ill say again - especially if you have a family to support then you go and get a job. Sending out a whiney email to previous clients because people aren't buying anymore is a bit pathetic. I'm surprised a big tough flag-waving ex-Marine Republican like you would think any different!

I have bought many FSGenesis products in the past - in fact I regard them as essential addons but I'll be very surprised if it's true that he relied on it as his sole source of income.

Knock it off with the name calling and political inferences!
That means EVERYONE!