PDA

View Full Version : Tongass Fjords X Released

spotlope
June 19th, 2009, 06:26
It was mentioned in an earlier thread, but I thought I'd make it official: SE Alaska is open for business for you FSX bush pilots.

Strap on a pair of skis, floats, or some fat tundra tires. There's 30,000 square miles (80,000 sq. km) waiting to be explored.

http://secure.simmarket.com/fsaddon-tongass-fjords-x.phtml

http://www.williamfwomack.com/images/fsaddon_tf_038.jpg

Oli-TUB
June 19th, 2009, 06:35
Great! Any idea when we'll see the version from FSAddon directly? I'd rather buy from FSAddon directly.

spotlope
June 19th, 2009, 06:40
Great! Any idea when we'll see the version from FSAddon directly? I'd rather buy from FSAddon directly.

There's no "directly" per se, but you can choose either the SimMarket version or the Flight1 wrapper version. We still have to put together the Flight1 installer, but it's coming soon.

bkeske
June 19th, 2009, 06:46
Great news Bill. I have not flown in the default FSX version on Alaska since I've been using it for the last couple years now. Thank goodness a portion of it it will now be 'open for business'. :mixedsmi:

Oli-TUB
June 19th, 2009, 06:48
There's no "directly" per se, but you can choose either the SimMarket version or the Flight1 wrapper version. We still have to put together the Flight1 installer, but it's coming soon.

Oooh, how i hate that word ... 'soon'. Any idea what this means in this context? If this requires a further week I might be temped to use Simmarket... :kilroy:

Francois
June 19th, 2009, 07:06

I am uploading the package to our server.... it is a 1 Gb+ package and our server is not as fast as the simMarket monster...... we may have to find alternate servers for our 'direct sales'.

We'll also have a CD version for those bandwidth-challenged :-)

Francois
June 19th, 2009, 07:07
Oooh, how i hate that word ... 'soon'. Any idea what this means in this context? If this requires a further week I might be temped to use Simmarket... :kilroy:

Ah... hmmm.. ftp counter says '2 more hours' .....certainly not weeks :icon_lol:

bushpilot
June 19th, 2009, 08:17
Damn those lousy FTPs!!:icon_lol::icon_lol:. Hopefully will get it downloaded today, so I can spin around it during the long weekend:wiggle:.

6297J
June 19th, 2009, 09:27
I'll wait for the Flight1 version.

I flew around the default area last night for the last time :wavey:

wantok
June 19th, 2009, 09:58
That looks gorgeous, Bill, Holger and Francois. Great job!!:ernae:
Graham

crashaz
June 19th, 2009, 10:08
Outstanding! :applause: This is a must buy! Can't wait to see all the details added to this bad boy!

Thanks for all the hard work guys!! Much appreciated!

:wavey:

rwmarth
June 19th, 2009, 10:20
This scenery really looks as good as anything else out there. Great work!

Oli-TUB
June 19th, 2009, 10:22
It's really funny. Nothing is happening for months and then you get two sceneries in the same week. Besides Tongass there's also a great looking Mallorca X (that's a bit behind the Hudson river for you guys :bump:) - great island with high res textures and detailled airport.

By the way, are those mule-powered servers there yet? :jump:

6297J
June 19th, 2009, 10:30
By the way, are those mule-powered servers there yet? :jump:

I doubt it, the FSAddon site doesn't even mention it's been released yet!

bushpilot
June 19th, 2009, 10:36
Just checked Bill's blog and there's link to Flight1 installer:applause:

jmig
June 19th, 2009, 10:39

Every time I see that "all sales final" statement on SimMarket, I wish I could buy it somewhere else. Now, I can. I will support Francois first and if that doesn't work, wait for Flight1

6297J
June 19th, 2009, 10:49
Every time I see that "all sales final" statement on SimMarket, I wish I could buy it somewhere else. Now, I can. I will support Francois first and if that doesn't work, wait for Flight1

I'm still not sure if the refund option still stands as they are using the wrapper system but not actualy selling in on the Flight1 website, as far as I know.

Some clarification on that would be good.

(I'll just make it clear by the way that I am not expecting to avail myself of the refund option unless my system struggles with it which I seriously doubt but it is always reassuring to have the option).

Oli-TUB
June 19th, 2009, 11:03
Great news, F1-version downloading as I write - will take an hour (getting ~300kb/s here) but it's on it's way.

Francois
June 19th, 2009, 11:13
I doubt it, the FSAddon site doesn't even mention it's been released yet!

That's because we are having to waste our time quarreling with distributors and (potential) customers, instead of being able to just tend to our work at hand ..... sometimes it just pays to NOT read anything, and just work heads down at the task at hand like a good old programmer .... and leave the world discuss among itself :ernae: Which I am going to do now..... before getting on my motorbike to tend to my OTHER line of work this weekend.

Happy Weekend everybody!

Francois
June 19th, 2009, 11:14
Great news, F1-version downloading as I write - will take an hour (getting ~300kb/s here) but it's on it's way.

300 Kbps sounds about right for our Texas servers. Using a download manager might help in case connection gets dropped....

Oli-TUB
June 19th, 2009, 11:16
I'm already using one (so I can resume if need be). And the speed increased to 450kb/s. Thanks again for making it happen. Just the region to test my new Catalina in.

Francois
June 19th, 2009, 11:17
You're welcome, have fun !! I know we have !

Francois
June 19th, 2009, 11:35
.... and before I log off, specially for the gentleman from London:

How do I get a refund within 30 days of my purchase?
Flight1 does have a 30 day return policy. Please read our Terms of Service (http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=tos) page for more information regarding refunds. All refunds are processed through our ticket system (http://www.flight1.com/ticket.asp). Submit a request there.

:applause:

6297J
June 19th, 2009, 11:42
.... and before I log off, specially for the gentleman from London:

How do I get a refund within 30 days of my purchase?

Flight1 does have a 30 day return policy. Please read our Terms of Service (http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=tos) page for more information regarding refunds. All refunds are processed through our ticket system (http://www.flight1.com/ticket.asp). Submit a request there.

Very useful information for gentlemen of all nations I'm sure. Thank you.

Oli-TUB
June 19th, 2009, 11:51
Order approved and installing ... runsofftodiveintotongassx :jump:

jmig
June 19th, 2009, 12:03
I'm still not sure if the refund option still stands as they are using the wrapper system but not actualy selling in on the Flight1 website, as far as I know.

Some clarification on that would be good.

(I'll just make it clear by the way that I am not expecting to avail myself of the refund option unless my system struggles with it which I seriously doubt but it is always reassuring to have the option).

Oh I have never asked or accepted a refund. It just gets stuck in my craw. Guess, I am getting old and persnickety. :costume:

spotlope
June 19th, 2009, 12:14
The cure for persnickety is to fly around SE Alaska for a while, John. ;)

jmig
June 19th, 2009, 12:31
The cure for persnickety is to fly around SE Alaska for a while, John. ;)

LOL Well, the downloads must be heavy. all I get is a white blank page when I try to go to "products." Was hoping to down load as I watched the LSU baseball game. Guess not?

Francois
June 19th, 2009, 12:42
The curse of making a popular add-on....... keep trying John, the persnickety ones shall prevail !

:bump:

Henry
June 19th, 2009, 12:50
Was hoping to down load as I watched the LSU baseball game. Guess not?
thats the problem:mixedsmi:
LOL
H

Carvalho
June 19th, 2009, 12:56
Installing now:jump::jump::jump:

Kiwikat
June 19th, 2009, 13:02
Is there an approximate coverage map somewhere?

IanP
June 19th, 2009, 13:09
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=18104

There you go kat.

Kiwikat
June 19th, 2009, 13:21
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=18104

There you go kat.

Thanks! I'll probably be picking this one up later this summer after I recover from my DSLR purchase.

EgoR64
June 19th, 2009, 13:24
:ernae: I have been waiting for this !! It looks amazing !!

:ernae::icon29::icon29::ernae:

SolarEagle
June 19th, 2009, 14:47
Here's the Sitka area!

http://sio.midco.net/FTP3/sitka_2.jpg

http://sio.midco.net/FTP3/sitka_1.jpg

Kiwikat
June 19th, 2009, 15:15
Here's the Sitka area!

WOW That is impressive! I wish I could get it now :(

I can't even run my computer atm. It's too hot in the house. :sleep:

BananaBob
June 19th, 2009, 16:45
Downloading now at almost 500kbs , there was an almost 6 dollar drop in price while I purchased it, I'll take it, LOL Looking forward to this! :ernae: :applause:

Reddog
June 19th, 2009, 17:19
got it thru simmarket,took about 2 hours. Installed it and had a problem of no water showing up in the coverage area outside of it was okay so did a repair and now everything is okay. Very very nice from what I saw so far:jump:

BananaBob
June 19th, 2009, 20:08
Gorgeous, longest I've flown in a while now, almost ran out of fuel in the Bell exploring and still didn't see near close to all of it, huge area. Congrats Holger and Bill on some remarkable scenery!

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/5255/tf8.jpg

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/7669/tf2miu.jpg

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/5358/tf3r.jpg

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/3530/tf4y.jpg

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/9409/tf5.jpg

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/9669/tf6.jpg

pbearsailor
June 19th, 2009, 22:02
We were lucky enough to cruise Southeast Alaska in 1996 on our sailboat. The most special day of that trip was the one when we went up Tracy Arm to the Sawyer Glaciers. The only anchorage was at the mouth of the arm, 20 miles from the glaciers. No place elsewhere to anchor, so you have to make it up and back in daylight (that part's easy in Alaska summers). We had fog that morning and were about to give up when it cleared around 11 AM and we decided to go for it on our slow sailboat.

Thanks so much to Holger and Bill and everyone involved in this. :medals: :ernae: It's a whole lot easier heading up there in the Albatross. You've really captured the look. The bergy bits are really cool--we had to push them away from the boat with a boathook (but we did collect some for our drinks that night). The detail you've gotten on the cliff faces is way better than I've seen before in FSX.

Going to be checking out all the places we went in the boat and it's going to keep me busy for quite awhile. :applause:

cheers,
steve :wavey:

Francois
June 19th, 2009, 23:49
I see some wonderful screenshots posted here and in other threads already.

All three of us are real glad you folks are enjoying our landscape so much ! That's the icing on the cake!

Keep them screenshots coming, we love 'em !! :wiggle:

JayKae
June 20th, 2009, 00:01
Ok, I have to chime in again here, this package is absolutely fabulous and seriously I would have paid $200 for it, quality is just something that is far fetched in a lot of products nowadays but this pacakge just drools quality... Yes, I know we are friends/know eachother from around the traps but that has nothing to do with it, this is something special... very special.

bushpilot
June 20th, 2009, 00:03
Cannot believe this sh*t... my most awaited addon this year comes out and what do you know, I get HDD failure on my FSX installation HDD. I mean what are the odds for that http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon9.gif. The good news is that I managed to download this beauty last night despite my crappy ISP. Hopefully will get my HDD replaced by tomorrow and will eventually be able to install this....:isadizzy:

But the screenies you guys are taking are unreal!:jump:

grunau_baby
June 20th, 2009, 00:32
How can you tempt me like that!!! My payware-budget is ZERO!!! Aaarghh this burns so hot...:redfire:

Great screenshots!!!
Alex

PS: How are framerates? I recently "rediscovered" Van+ on my system and it´s still a challenge for my rig though playable on high settings. Is this simmilar or improved on frames? Just curious!

6297J
June 20th, 2009, 00:35
Just a note for those buying from the UK - the Flight1 version is currently 7 pounds cheaper than the SimMarket version!!

Flight1 - $35 = £21.16
SimMarket - 33.26 euros = £28.15

In fact even if you are in the US the Simmarket version works out at $39.12

(xe.com)

That means I can buy it and go out and have a very nice breakfast while I wait for it to download!

Thank you Flight1 :ernae:

Oli-TUB
June 20th, 2009, 01:00
Indeed, but that's mainly because Simmarket is a european based company and has to sell with VAT. That makes a few bucks. And then the purchase in USD is slightly cheaper than the EURO-one from Simmarket on top.

There was a healthy discusstion about that over at Simflight - to the point where all posts ... "vanished". Guess Simflight and Simmarket are very close and don't like outspoken people. :monkies:

bushpilot
June 20th, 2009, 01:18
Indeed, but that's mainly because Simmarket is a european based company and has to sell with VAT.

That's the reason I like to buy through F1 system and with US dollars. Plus on my experience, F1 system has been always very reliable, so no need to go the other way.

6297J
June 20th, 2009, 01:22
There was a healthy discusstion about that over at Simflight - to the point where all posts ... "vanished". Guess Simflight and Simmarket are very close and don't like outspoken people. :monkies:

I noticed that :icon_lol:

But they do make a point of mentioning that they are '... giving a discount to all customers and have lowered the price to a very 'crisis-friendly' price ...' so I am just helping with their apparent public service remit by pointing out that you can get an even more 'crisis-freindly' price by buying it via Flight1 and bypassing Simmarket altogether.

jmig
June 20th, 2009, 05:18
I tried to buy it from FSAddon's "slow" server and it down loaded from the F1 wrapper? I am glad however, I much preferred buying it from F1 than Simmarket for reasons stated earlier.

Francois
June 20th, 2009, 05:23
Indeed, but that's mainly because Simmarket is a european based company and has to sell with VAT. That makes a few bucks. And then the purchase in USD is slightly cheaper than the EURO-one from Simmarket on top.

SimMarket and simFlight are basically one and the same ;-)

FSAddon is not. But then again, I am the managing editor of simFlight.

I did NOT think that the discussion between simMarket's owner and myself at THAT particular place in the internet was one to have. As simFlight managing editor.

As owner of FSAddon.com I am more than happy to discuss our pricing decisions on our forums, if the need is felt for that.

Also needless to say that Miguel and I have some different views on the current pricing.

And in the end, if people here had rather paid 34 Euros instead of our 'low' price, then please send me a note and we'll happily comply !

Somehow it is never appreciated when you try do do people a favor. Go figure :kilroy:

Oli-TUB
June 20th, 2009, 05:28
I wouldn't say that. For me it looks like a few folks around here waited for the F1-wrapper-version and bought TFX this way. It's not only even more affordable but also very easy to buy that way. I really like the F1-wrapper-system.

By the way, could anyone comment on how well TFX blends into UTX? Are the borders very visible? I had no time to testfly yet as house work has to be done first...

Francois
June 20th, 2009, 06:38
Well, thanks to the lively discussions here and on simFlight, we now had to raise the price on our own website so it matches the simMarket price.

In all honesty we didn't think much of it when we set the prices, but Miguel over at simMarket DOES have a point that it seems unfair to let his customers pay more than those serviced through Flight1's wrapper.

So we've adapted the US$ price to reflect actual exchange rates.

The CD price remains the same because we make and ship those ourselves.

Oli-TUB
June 20th, 2009, 06:45
And those that have paid already? And might I ask if you intend to update your wrappers on a weekly basis to reflect currency changes from now on and to please Simmarket? I bet Miguel will not be so interested in an update when Simmarket looks better when the exchange rate changes. Bah...

Point or not I think it's your product and you put whatever price stamp on it that you see fit. I don't see me purchasing anything from Simmarket anytime soon after that...

But back to my UTX-question. Does TFX fit in nicely or are there visible borders? I also own Plum Island and I've a hard time spotting the edges - very well blended in.

And one last question (if I may). Is there a guide somewhere regarding the optimal settings for TFX - I mean mesh and texture res etc. ORBX had a few nice guides bundled that I could use to get the best visual appearance. What should be the settings for TFX?

Thank you very much in advance. Best regards.

6297J
June 20th, 2009, 07:00
Well, thanks to the lively discussions here and on simFlight, we now had to raise the price on our own website so it matches the simMarket price.

In all honesty we didn't think much of it when we set the prices, but Miguel over at simMarket DOES have a point that it seems unfair to let his customers pay more than those serviced through Flight1's wrapper.

The CD price remains the same because we make and ship those ourselves.

Lively discussions? I'm struggling to find any discussion about Tongass at all anywhere other than in this thread.
Regardless, does this mean that the price will be different again this time next week, depending on the exchange rates?
The pound does seem to be gaining on the dollar at the moment (http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/fds/hi/business/market_data/currency/default.stm) maybe we should all wait a bit longer.
Makes me wonder who is in charge here, FSAddon or Miguel?

Surely as boss of FSAddon and managing editor of Simflight/SimMarket you have a conflict of interests Francois?

jmig
June 20th, 2009, 07:08
Glad I got in under the wire! :jump:

I love the scenery BTW....back to flying.

BananaBob
June 20th, 2009, 07:10
Glad I got in under the wire! :jump:

I love the scenery BTW....back to flying.

Same here John, flying more now, LOL! :ernae:

bushpilot
June 20th, 2009, 07:13

I downloaded the F1 installer last night (haven't purchased yet), so do I now need to download the updated installer?

spotlope
June 20th, 2009, 07:14
And those that have paid already? And might I ask if you intend to update your wrappers on a weekly basis to reflect currency changes from now on and to please Simmarket? I bet Miguel will not be so interested in an update when Simmarket looks better when the exchange rate changes. Bah...

Point or not I think it's your product and you put whatever price stamp on it that you see fit. I don't see me purchasing anything from Simmarket anytime soon after that...

But back to my UTX-question. Does TFX fit in nicely or are there visible borders? I also own Plum Island and I've a hard time spotting the edges - very well blended in.

And one last question (if I may). Is there a guide somewhere regarding the optimal settings for TFX - I mean mesh and texture res etc. ORBX had a few nice guides bundled that I could use to get the best visual appearance. What should be the settings for TFX?

There is no UTX for Alaska as of this release, so no worries about compatibility. Holger was also working with Allen Kriesmann on UTX/Alaska, so you can be sure that whenever it is released, Tongass will be taken into consideration.

The user manual here (http://online.simmarket.com/fsaddon/TongassX-User-Guide.pdf) has a short section on suggested FS settings. There are only a couple that are crucial (mesh resolution and texture resolution), so we've noted them.

spotlope
June 20th, 2009, 07:17
I downloaded the F1 installer last night (haven't purchased yet), so do I now need to download the updated installer?

No, you should be good to go.

Francois
June 20th, 2009, 07:23

No, I am not following exchange rate fluctuations. The issue in this case was that we did not look AT ALL at that. Add to that the VAT issue simMarket (and officially all EU customers have) and there is ample room for discussions.

Yes, I am running FSAddon. At the same time this is also a very small industry and it doesn't work to be at war with everybody.

I realize there will always be people who thrive on conflict. Especially in forums. I don't. ;-)

As for UTX:
there IS no UTX Alaska yet. So I can't tell you anything about the borders. But since Holger Sandmann was heavily involved with the development of it, I think I can safely say that it will not be a problem, IF UTX Alaska get released.

As for the settings of TFX: On Page 24 of the manual there's information to that extent, under the chapter Technical notes and Tips.
As you will see there is not so much to 'tune' on TFX since much of the product is 'just' an improved replacement of existing files.

Francois
June 20th, 2009, 07:25

Pekka, I am not F1 expert... so should you run into a problem anyway, then please email me at francois@fsaddon.eu and we'll solve things together.
If you already paid, then there is no problem.

Oli-TUB
June 20th, 2009, 07:30
Thanks, I must have overlooked the settings in the manual. Guess I need to look again. For an 'improved replacement' it looks mighty fine though ;-) Just flew around Sitka for a few minutes and it's really a nice place to be - and an fps-friendly one too. Too bad I wrecked all kind of havok trying to land my Cat in the harbor though. All those damaged boats will cost a bit. And I've prolly lost my virtual license for that stunt... :kilroy:

http://www.imagesave.net/upload/792261Sitka_1.jpg

http://www.imagesave.net/upload/636336Sitka_2.jpg

Part of TFX is in Canada isn't it? And there should be a border to UTX-Canada. Or am I mistaking here?

But may I ask how those purchases from yesterday will be handled? It's not on my cc-statement yet but I guess they'll stay at 35USD? Or will those be charged 39USD now too (in reverse so to speak)?

Edit: Whoops, Francois already answered in the meantime. Thanks again. A bit of a pity for those who waited but I guess that makes us early birds even happier...

Edit2: Ok, just found the suggested settings. That already helped. I had mesh set to 10m and had seem some odd things but with 5m it looks fine. Gues I better **** next time. My apologies.

Francois
June 20th, 2009, 07:54
No worries, it's all good.

Nice pictures ! :wavey:

Oli-TUB
June 20th, 2009, 07:59
Nice scenery! :applause: Guess there's alot to explore in the next months. Only need something smaller with skies for the glaciers... A2A, are you reading?

Holger Sandmann
June 20th, 2009, 08:14
Hi guys,

the boundary between UT-X Canada is pretty much seamless as far as roads and lakes and rivers go, few as they are. However, you'll definitely notice when you leave Tongass X as the default ground textures will take over again (or whatever replacement package you may have installed). I've extended our texture coverage a bit so that the transition doesn't happen right at the outer edge of Tongass X but it has to happen somewhere ;-)

For UT-X Alaska Allen and I will make sure that all landscape elements remain compatible. For example, Allen is integrating all the water files I've already completed for Tongass, Misty, and Glacier Bay.

Cheers, Holger

Headwind
June 20th, 2009, 09:53
I have a question that made me think about this while reading this topic. Of all the places to buy the addon's from what percentage to the places like simmarket take off each sale from the Devs? I ask due to making a choice of where to buy it from.

spotlope
June 20th, 2009, 09:56
The only ones who can answer that with any authority are the devs, and since we've got relationships with each of the sellers, it behooves us not to discuss internal matters like that on a public forum. Let's just say we're happy to have you buy it from whatever vendor you like. The percentages are so close to one another that it doesn't make that much difference in the overall scheme of things.

How's that for an evasive answer? :kilroy:

brevoort
June 20th, 2009, 10:06
I admit to having experienced some dismay this morning when I saw the earlier posts about the FSAddon price increase.

I had specifically downloaded from FSAddon yesterday in the hopes that Francois and friends would get more of my money than they would through a larger distributor, and because it was cheaper than the alternative.

But I put off installing until this morning and I feared that I was going to have to pay more.

I shouldn't have worried; I got Tongass for the cheaper price.

But I will have to be honest here and say that my first reaction on flying for less than 5 minutes was that I would have happily paid much much more.

This is am amazing piece of work and deeply immersive.

I spent a couple of years flying Beavers up and down both of the real world equivalents of "Tongass" and "Misty" and all I can say is that Mr Sandmann and Mr Womack have nailed it perfectly.

Well done and thanks to Francois for publishing it.

Rick Grant
Calgary

hobofat
June 20th, 2009, 10:46
Congratulations on the fantastic release guys! This just made bush flying that much better.

While as a U.S. resident I feel the pain of the price increase, it does indeed bring us in line with our European brothers/sisters--which I'm sure they appreciate! And as an added point...it's only a $3.95 increase, I'm really sure I'll manage! Heck...a latte where I live goes for like $6.

jmig
June 20th, 2009, 10:54
Nice scenery! :applause: Guess there's alot to explore in the next months. Only need something smaller with skies for the glaciers... A2A, are you reading?

I managed to land on a glacier on wheels with the Kodiak. :)

Anneke
June 20th, 2009, 11:03
I paid the high price and I don't care because I hope FDAddon continues to exist to shell out more of those great scenery's. Heck I even donated some dough to FSGenesis because he's also on the brink of bankruptcy :kilroy:

BTW Francois, Holger and Bill: great stuff!

WF442
June 20th, 2009, 12:47
hmmm... since i sort of contributed to the package, (read: repaints for the original Tongass FS9) I really think i should get a small discount on this one. :173go1: j/k of course. Will buy it as soon as the budget allows. Congrats on the release!

regards
Bjørn Erik Henriksen

Francois
June 20th, 2009, 13:07
Thanks everybody for your business and your nice and enthusiastic comments. Being simmers ourselves it helps knowing that what we make brings some fun in other's peoples lives and not only some dollars in our pockets. :ernae:

wallyboard
June 20th, 2009, 13:43
Francois,

Have you made any headway fixing the log-in problems for the TongassX forums?
Cheers
Larry

jdhaenens
June 20th, 2009, 14:16
Just a screenshot from Sitka. Bill's Kodiak and Tongass.

SolarEagle
June 20th, 2009, 18:57
http://sio.midco.net/FTP3/winter_1.jpg

Francois
June 20th, 2009, 20:14
Francois,

Have you made any headway fixing the log-in problems for the TongassX forums?
Cheers
Larry

As fa as I can tell nw there are only TWO people who can't seem to log in. Everybody else has no problems.
I have not been able to determine yet what they have done to the system as to be considered 'bad users' by the security system.. sorry :-(

The new forum will take some more time to install, since I don't have a lot of time currently and don't want to lose the existing data.

wallyboard
June 21st, 2009, 05:13
Thanks anyway Francois (re:forum log-in). I can browse anyway, and if necessary post on the regular board.
Larry

Oli-TUB
June 21st, 2009, 07:53
Just been to Petersburg for the first time, also a nicely done place!!!

http://www.imagesave.net/upload/614671Pertersburg.jpg

What is most impressive is, if you change to top-down view and zoom out. You have to zoom out and zoom out and .. and zoom out before you can see the borders of the "treatment area" and get an impressive idea of the scale of things.

SolarEagle
June 21st, 2009, 15:47
I recut my original winter shot to include it in this winter wonder land series. Enjoy.

http://sio.midco.net/FTP3/winter_9.jpg

http://sio.midco.net/FTP3/winter_5.jpg

http://sio.midco.net/FTP3/winter_7.jpg

http://sio.midco.net/FTP3/winter_8.jpg

http://sio.midco.net/FTP3/winter_10.jpg

heywooood
June 21st, 2009, 15:55
post them again in Black and White and they could pass for the work of Ansel Adams :ernae:

SolarEagle
June 21st, 2009, 16:02
Can anybody tell me why I have different trees than what are showed in this preview image? The trees I saw here were one of the most striking parts of this image, and I was waiting to see them first hand, however mine are not the same. :(

http://sio.midco.net/FTP3/tf_fsx_trees.jpg

Preview image
http://forums.fsaddon.eu/files/tf_fsx_beta1__port_alexander_2_129.jpg

My sim
http://sio.midco.net/FTP3/tfxtrees.jpg

spotlope
June 21st, 2009, 16:06
I might be wrong, but I think Holger just used the default tree textures for Tongass. Maybe Nick Churchill, who took most of our preview screenshots, had a third-party autogen replacement set in his pics. I'll ask him. By the way, what you're seeing in your sim is what I have, too. Might have to look into that replacement set if that's it, because they really are an improvement.

SolarEagle
June 21st, 2009, 17:32
I've got the Natural World Trees if those are the ones. The other one I've heard about is a freeware pack.

MCDesigns
June 21st, 2009, 17:34
Didn't Holger mention something about using these addon tree textures in the beta forum Bill? I might have to check them out.

http://secure.simmarket.com/samoshin-natural-world-trees-v2.phtml

spotlope
June 21st, 2009, 17:45
I don't recall, Michael. I just did a cursory search of the beta forum and didn't come up with anything.

tigisfat
June 21st, 2009, 23:29
No offense guys, but that's pretty lame if the preview shots were generated on a machine with undisclosed mods......I'm just saying.

SolarEagle
June 22nd, 2009, 00:10
No offense guys, but that's pretty lame if the preview shots were generated on a machine with undisclosed mods......I'm just saying.

I can see your point if the package in question is scenery, since one has no way of knowing that the package only uses default trees.

On the other hand its not uncommon for preview shots to have other add ons like REX or FEX, which can even repalce airport textures. Orbx airport previews often have non default airport textures due to REX being in use.

BananaBob
June 22nd, 2009, 01:08

If I had to point every little or big addon in my shots, well, I probably wouldn't post them, LOL

MCDesigns
June 22nd, 2009, 04:24

Why, it's no different from a machine that can run at full autogen or one that can't, they will look different. I look at Nick's shots and know mine aren't going to look like that.

BananaBob
June 22nd, 2009, 05:22
:ernae:

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/8991/20096228394312.jpg

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9837/200962284147859.jpg

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/3826/200962285812687.jpg

spotlope
June 22nd, 2009, 05:55
You've got a way with the virtual camera, Bob. :icon29:

BananaBob
June 22nd, 2009, 06:08
Thanks Bill, you guys made it so easy though, LOL :ernae:

Francois
June 22nd, 2009, 06:30
FWIW 'my' Tongass Fjords doesn't look like the one in Nick's or Bob's shots either, no matter what bushes or clouds I load into it. You guys are master photographers .... not fair !!! :kilroy::jump:

Roger
June 22nd, 2009, 06:58
This is definately on my "To get " list, once I have some gainful employment again.:applause:

BananaBob
June 22nd, 2009, 07:10
FWIW 'my' Tongass Fjords doesn't look like the one in Nick's or Bob's shots either, no matter what bushes or clouds I load into it. You guys are master photographers .... not fair !!! :kilroy::jump:

Only thing missing is fishing rod and the Steelhead Salmon, LOL! :ernae:

Francois
June 22nd, 2009, 07:13
Dang! Bill must've forgotten those.. I'll tell him ! :icon_lol:

Oli-TUB
June 22nd, 2009, 07:28
Oh goodness, some places are just magical...

http://www.imagesave.net/upload/893720Untitled-1.jpg

MCDesigns
June 22nd, 2009, 07:55
Only thing missing is fishing rod and the Steelhead Salmon, LOL! :ernae:

Got ya covered Bob in a soon to be released addon I did for the TongassX landscape, LOL.

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/3500/attdock.jpg

spotlope
June 22nd, 2009, 07:59
I like it! The fishing doesn't go well, you can just get a back of chips and a soda.

BananaBob
June 22nd, 2009, 08:03
Got ya covered Bob in a soon to be released addon I did for the TongassX landscape, LOL.

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/3500/attdock.jpg

Now that's a winner! Sweeeet! :applause:

MCDesigns
June 22nd, 2009, 08:04
I like it! The fishing doesn't go well, you can just get a back of chips and a soda.

Trail mix and gatoraide for the tourists Bill, LOL.

BananaBob
June 22nd, 2009, 08:08
That's a Beautiful shot too Oli!:applause::applause::applause:

Nick C
June 22nd, 2009, 11:17
I'd just like to point out that non of my shots used 3rd party trees. The image on the previous page which was used to highlight a difference from default, was not one of mine. :engel016:

All mine are in this thread if you need a comparison:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=16984

spotlope
June 22nd, 2009, 12:30
The plot thickens! I wonder whose shot that is? Whomever took it, I'd like to know where to get those trees, too. Samoshin, maybe? Whoever made them, they're nice.

Oli-TUB
June 22nd, 2009, 13:08
That's a Beautiful shot too Oli!:applause::applause::applause:

Thanks. May I ask what sky and clouds you're using in your three shots? Besides the shots looking great the clouds are really impressive.

BananaBob
June 22nd, 2009, 16:44
Thanks. May I ask what sky and clouds you're using in your three shots? Besides the shots looking great the clouds are really impressive.

It's REX bro and my theme is Thunderstorm Cells or something like that, just makes the skies look ominous! Cheers mate.:ernae:

SolarEagle
June 22nd, 2009, 16:54
The plot thickens! I wonder whose shot that is? Whomever took it, I'd like to know where to get those trees, too. Samoshin, maybe? Whoever made them, they're nice.

I'm pretty sure it's Holgers shot, but doesn't look like the Samoshin trees to me. The shot's from Holger post over here...

http://forums.fsaddon.eu/viewtopic.php?t=1608

BananaBob
June 22nd, 2009, 17:17
The trees just look a darker green to me, if I knew what textures they were I could change them to that color but it would be world wide.... but that wouldn't bother me, now off to find which textures. :running:

spotlope
June 22nd, 2009, 17:21
I'm pretty sure it's Holgers shot, but doesn't look like the Samoshin trees to me. The shot's from Holger post over here...

http://forums.fsaddon.eu/viewtopic.php?t=1608

The interesting thing is that only some of the trees look different - the smaller evergreens. To my eye at least, the larger ones appear to be stock vegetation. Perhaps he had a replacement for only a couple of the tree textures. If only he weren't off in wilds of Africa right now... literally.

Francois
June 22nd, 2009, 23:49
Whatever the case may be... those are BETA shots, and labeled as such, and in no way claiming to be what the ultimate product would look like. So some of the comments in this thread are clearly mute ..... AND I haven't found the final product to be anything less than advertised, trees or no trees: fabulous ! :ernae:

bushpilot
June 23rd, 2009, 00:01
Ok, I finally got my FSX up and running again and Tongass installed, so....

It's fantastic!!:applause: I have a new virtual home. This is an instant classic. Thank you guys for this! With Tongass and Plum Island FSAddon has showed to be the leading edge in scenery development.:applause:

It just does not get any better than this
http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m465/bush_p/tongass1.jpg

SolarEagle
June 23rd, 2009, 01:48
http://sio.midco.net/FTP3/tfx_1.jpg

Francois
June 23rd, 2009, 02:03
Thanks Pekka !!! And your repaints go very well with it ! :wavey:

I think it is getting time to design an FSAddon livery.... I'll get to the drawing board now that I have a little more time.......

Hey, nice shot there SolarEagle :-)

SolarEagle
June 23rd, 2009, 02:57
Thanks. :)

http://sio.midco.net/FTP3/winter_12.jpg

http://sio.midco.net/FTP3/winter_11.jpg

bushpilot
June 23rd, 2009, 06:48
Thanks Pekka !!! And your repaints go very well with it ! :wavey:

Kodiak and Tongass Fjords is a killer combination. Just did a crazy dive-bombing approach to Bronson Creek with ithttp://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon10.gif.

And if someone finds out what those good looking trees are, please post here. I have freeware TreeX, which is good, but those trees in the preview shots just look better.

GaryGB
June 23rd, 2009, 07:17
Magnificent work by the FSAddon team! :ernae:

I posted some links to "TFX" screenshots by others over at Emma Field Forum (which likely has some pix not posted here yet):

http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=76668

Very nice screenies being posted by the folks here at SOH too BTW! :applause:

Happy Flying! :cool:

GaryGB

big-mike
June 23rd, 2009, 07:33
Kodiak and Tongass Fjords is a killer combination. Just did a crazy dive-bombing approach to Bronson Creek with ithttp://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon10.gif.

And if someone finds out what those good looking trees are, please post here. I have freeware TreeX, which is good, but those trees in the preview shots just look better.

I`m too very interested in these trees.
I have the trees by Samoshin,but they are different and don`t look so good.
BTW, love this scenery,many thanks to the developers!
Michael

SolarEagle
June 24th, 2009, 03:06
http://sio.midco.net/FTP3/tfx_11b.jpg

bushpilot
June 25th, 2009, 01:34
You don't need a bushplane to enjoy Tongass:kilroy:

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m465/bush_p/md_tongass1.jpg

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m465/bush_p/md_tongass3.jpg

SolarEagle
June 25th, 2009, 02:12
http://sio.midco.net/FTP4/tfx_10.jpg

sidler
June 26th, 2009, 08:25
I tried loading 3 times and I keep getting this.....cannot find registry setuppath for HKLM\software\microsoft\microsoft games\flight simulator\10.0. Any ideas?

Dick

spotlope
June 26th, 2009, 08:34
Dick, post this over at our support forum (http://forums.fsaddon.eu/viewforum.php?f=30) and I'm sure Scot, our installer maker, can help.

Mithrin
June 26th, 2009, 10:50
So many good pictures already but I just wanted to share this awesome multiplayer moment we had when we flew over this drop off and had our jaws drop when we saw what beauty lay ahead of us!

http://www.mithrin.net/FS/multiplayer/TongassFjordsX01-2.jpg (http://www.mithrin.net/FS/multiplayer/TongassFjordsX01.jpg)

http://www.mithrin.net/FS/multiplayer/TongassFjordsX02-2.jpg (http://www.mithrin.net/FS/multiplayer/TongassFjordsX02.jpg)

Francois
June 26th, 2009, 11:04
I tried loading 3 times and I keep getting this.....cannot find registry setuppath for HKLM\software\microsoft\microsoft games\flight simulator\10.0. Any ideas?

Dick

No idea, personally.

And for information, our forum system tried to send you your confirmation and the email gets refused too... strange. Something may be fishy with your computer's setup somehow ???

I have confirmed your registration manually, but cannot send you an email to confirm it.

bushpilot
June 26th, 2009, 11:23

Dick

Try FSX registry repair tool: http://www.flight1software.com/files/FS_Registry_Repair.exe

If your FSX registry entries have become corrupted...

Navy Chief
June 26th, 2009, 11:52
You don't need a bushplane to enjoy Tongass:kilroy:

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m465/bush_p/md_tongass1.jpg

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m465/bush_p/md_tongass3.jpg

Is that a DC-9 or MD-80? Either way, those are great screenshots, and I love to fly the DC-9.

NC

bushpilot
June 26th, 2009, 12:00
Is that a DC-9 or MD-80? Either way, those are great screenshots, and I love to fly the DC-9.

NC

Thanks!

It's CoolSky Super80. Can be found with two different renditions; classic analog cockpit and newer EFIS. My favorite tubeliner ever :medals:

http://www.coolsky.no/super80/super80.htm

I'm currently waiting for someone to make good DC-9.:jump:

Navy Chief
June 26th, 2009, 12:22
Thanks!

It's CoolSky Super80. Can be found with two different renditions; classic analog cockpit and newer EFIS. My favorite tubeliner ever :medals:

http://www.coolsky.no/super80/super80.htm

I'm currently waiting for someone to make good DC-9.:jump:

Thanks for the information. I too, wish for a good DC-9 for FSX, and especially a USN C-9 repaint! Available for FS9...but not FSX, that I know of.

NC

rohan
June 26th, 2009, 23:10
BananaBob,
your screen shots on page 2 of this thread show the most realistic water I've ever seen in FSX, especially the shots of the Beaver and the Bell immediately after it. I also noticed a comment somewhere in this thread about "Holger's water texture". Please could you tell me whether the water shown by your system results from the Tongass scenery and / or some other addon you've installed (possibly REX which you mentioned). Note that I do not yet have FSX installed, and one reason is the weird look to water that I've seen in many screen shots, so I have no idea how FSX handles this side of texturing,
regards
Ro

BananaBob
June 27th, 2009, 00:11
BananaBob,
your screen shots on page 2 of this thread show the most realistic water I've ever seen in FSX, especially the shots of the Beaver and the Bell immediately after it. I also noticed a comment somewhere in this thread about "Holger's water texture". Please could you tell me whether the water shown by your system results from the Tongass scenery and / or some other addon you've installed (possibly REX which you mentioned). Note that I do not yet have FSX installed, and one reason is the weird look to water that I've seen in many screen shots, so I have no idea how FSX handles this side of texturing,
regards
Ro

I think they did their own waterclass for this addon but not sure, I do have REX installed and you can change the bump mapping of the water and I have it set on "sparkle" I think, you can also mess with the colors too and I've tried many but am happy now at the moment. I do love the way the water looks there and if it is a waterclass or something like that, I wish it looked like that everywhere. :ernae:

rohan
June 27th, 2009, 21:05
BananaBob,
thank you muchly for that, and I couldn't agree more about wishing it could look like that everywhere ...
regards,
Ro

sidler
June 28th, 2009, 05:51
Bill, Francois & Bushpilot....thanks for the repply, I tried Registry Fix, no luck. I cannot reinstall FSX or FS9. It's either my CDROM or WinXP is corrupt.

Dick

LTCSZ
June 28th, 2009, 08:29
I wonder if the developers would consider a "demo" download of, say, a few square miles of the scenery so those of us with medium level computers could evaluate it and decide if it is right for us...It could be time limited or whatever...I would just like to be sure I can run the scenery before I lay out almost $40...Thanks,

Steve in Kansas

spotlope
June 28th, 2009, 09:58
I doubt we could swing that, Steve. Due to how the files are structured and arranged, it would be an enormous task to split out a small area. If you're concerned about how it'll run on your rig, my best advice is to buy the Flight1 wrapper version (http://www.fsaddon.eu/fsaddon-products/tongassx/FSAD-TFX-F1.exe), which allows for refunds if it doesn't work for you.

Francois
June 28th, 2009, 10:20
Yes, we use the Flight1 wrapper (and financial handling) on our own website.

But even so... if FSX runs well on your current PC, then Tongass will not be a real problem either.
If FSX does NOT run well on your setup, then maybe you should reconsider.

Kind regards,
Francois

LTCSZ
June 28th, 2009, 18:02
Bill and Francois: Thanks for the replies...I hate to buy something and then take it back (!)...FSX runs well on my machine with what I would call medium/medium high settings, so I just might give Tongass a try! Thanks again,

Steve

bushpilot
June 29th, 2009, 08:55
Juts gotta love all these little details scattered along the area:mixedsmi:
http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m465/bush_p/t_axe.jpg

Oli-TUB
June 30th, 2009, 11:09
Holy crap, I just had my first flight north of Peterburg in my new Scout (bought it together with the Duke last weekend). This must be the perfect plane for the region. Insanely fps-friendly and superfluid gauges. I was able to crank the scenery up another noth and still enjoy 25fps with 4xS AA and 8x AF - and I'm flying on a subnotebook here...

http://imagesave.net/upload/7965Tongass_02.jpg

Just bloody brilliant - scenery as well as plane. I can't say when I was this impressed by the combination of scenery and plane in FSX the last time.

bkeske
June 30th, 2009, 18:12
Heck yea, the Scout is my favorite aircraft for flying around this area, always has been.

Just downloaded Tongass this evening, and have been slewing around and looking at a few areas. Simply outstanding work. Sitka is especially well done. Incredible.

Now, as I always fly in 'trips', (taking off from were I last landed...yes, I'm obsessive :mixedsmi:), and just came back to Ohio from out west, including the WA/BC area....I've gotta decide my quickest way back. Perhaps my Aerosoft F16 will do the trick to Victoria, then climb in the Scout and start heading north....or perhaps the B377 would be more fun....mmmm....

EDIT: Anyone figure out that tree texture question?

Francois
July 1st, 2009, 22:25
As for the trees, nope.
Holger is on leave for 6 weeks so we can't ask him....

Since it is no biggie, we haven't put out a search warrant with the Namibian police for him and will let him enjoy his well-earned vacation quietly.

Lionheart
July 2nd, 2009, 00:26
This is one of the most amazing scenery addons I have ever encountered. I just got this today and I cannot believe its this massive of a scenery addon.

Its going to take me weeks to check it all out...

Amazing work you guys.

Really impressive how you provide the very well done pro maps of the regions. Same with the setup program that sets your AI and all.

:ernae: :applause: :ernae:

Bill

BananaBob
July 2nd, 2009, 00:37
I agree Bill, taking a low and slow aircraft through this is pretty darn cool and when you run into something you weren't expecting, happened to me a couple times flying around that huge area, it just becomes even more magical. Worth every penny. :applause::applause::applause:

jankees
July 2nd, 2009, 01:24
I bought it yesterday, and though so far I've only had time for one flight, I have to agree with you Bob, really worth it.
Now I've got to paint a few Alaskan PBY's...suggestions anybody?

BananaBob
July 2nd, 2009, 01:27
I bought it yesterday, and though so far I've only had time for one flight, I have to agree with you Bob, really worth it.
Now I've got to paint a few Alaskan PBY's...suggestions anybody?

That navy blue and gold scheme of Alaska Coastal looks like it would be brilliant. http://www.geocities.com/alaskangoose/ACA-Fleet.html

jankees
July 3rd, 2009, 09:52
That navy blue and gold scheme of Alaska Coastal looks like it would be brilliant. http://www.geocities.com/alaskangoose/ACA-Fleet.html

not quite the blue one, that's for later, but how's this (still very much WiP!!everything has to be aligned...)?

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/jk959a.jpg

spotlope
July 3rd, 2009, 11:01
Oh yeah! Weather that sucker up and post it, Jan. I'm ready to download!

BananaBob
July 3rd, 2009, 11:39
Oh yeah! Weather that sucker up and post it, Jan. I'm ready to download!

Oh yeah, that's a great paint! :medals::medals:

rgerdes
July 3rd, 2009, 12:34
That's the repaint that will get me to buy the PBY - I actually flew with Coastal Ellis back int he 60's. Got some amazing weather related story's to tell :applause:
Bob

jankees
July 3rd, 2009, 12:55
That's the repaint that will get me to buy the PBY - I actually flew with Coastal Ellis back int he 60's. Got some amazing weather related story's to tell :applause:
Bob

Bob, do tell!
In the meantime, I'll be polishing the repaint (weathering, pfff, do you know what a nightmare it is just to paint this monster??) and enjoying Tongass. I thought nothing would get me out of (FTX-) Oz, but it seems I was wrong...

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/jk1001.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/jk1006.jpg

as for the paintjob, a bit more patience please, 11 textures to paint, with little bits and pieces all over the place.....

spotlope
July 3rd, 2009, 14:16
I've thought about giving the old Kitty a paint job myself, but you're talking me out of it. ;)

jankees
July 4th, 2009, 00:25
OK, maybe a bit of dirt...

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/jk1030.jpg

RudiJG1
July 4th, 2009, 03:55
looks terrific, Jan!

BananaBob
July 5th, 2009, 09:02
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/7153/newprggoose1.jpg

MM
July 9th, 2009, 16:16
:bump:

Just bumping this along to remind late Summer vacationers that Tongass Fjords X is simply outstanding. Our regulars Holger and Bill have done a marvelous job.

And would like to keep the "Tree Question" on the agenda ... :P

Lionheart
July 9th, 2009, 19:57
I second that MM.. Awesome scenery pack! Tons of airfields and water airports and awesome scenery. Even the little towns with all the cool, unique houses and buildings and fishing boats..

:ernae: :applause: :ernae:

Bill

Francois
July 10th, 2009, 02:32
For the tree question you'll have to continue bumping this for another 5 weeks or so, until Holger is back at his PC. I haven't found anybody swapping trees, so no definitive answer yet.

There are various gorgeous looking screenshots on our own forums too.... personally, I don't see a 'tree issue', but YMMV :icon_lol: