PDA

View Full Version : Court orders Jammie Thomas to pay RIAA $1.92 million

hey_moe
June 19th, 2009, 00:45
>>>>>> http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10268199-93.html?tag=newsLeadStoriesArea.1 <<< What gets me here is a person can create a virus or a worm and destroy millions of computers and they get a slap on the wrist....but when someone copies a record they make head lines and have a huge fine.....almost 2 mill....give me a break.

tigisfat
June 19th, 2009, 01:25
The news is garbage these days. They outlined the charges, but not what she actually did. I'd still like to hear it. Was she packaging bittorrents or something? Was she just downloading music like the rest of the world? Downloading 1,700 copyrighted songs really isn't that significant when compared to a WHOLE mess of folks out there.

cheezyflier
June 19th, 2009, 06:35
it's only a matter of time before the anti-piracy zealots post about how she should face the spanish inquisition and be pulled apart by her thumbs.

Piglet
June 19th, 2009, 19:52
Unless she wins the lottery, how's she gonna pay up? Bet she's no millionare. Or is it one of those "send a message" things.
If I were her, I'll say I will pay a dollar a year for 1.92 million years!

Lionheart
June 19th, 2009, 20:48
So I guess her goofy lawyers figure she can pay for all that was stolen from everyone, lol..

goodness....

Make her pay for the single songs she stold. Which comes to what, 20.00 or 40.00 USD? If you steal a loaf of bread, shall you pay $500.00 for it?

Something is wayyyyy out of balance here. Something is goofy.

Bill

FengZ
June 19th, 2009, 20:58
it's like that case in NY where the dood wanted to sue the dry cleaners for 10million or something because they lost his pants...

the US court system is very retarded...

-feng

TARPSBird
June 19th, 2009, 23:06
This is kinda like taking a person to court for removing the "do not remove" tag from their mattress.
I'm not familiar with the details of this woman's case, but I think that an award of $1.92 million for this type of crime is ridiculous and reflects a sickening level of greed on the part of the RIAA. Also a sickening level of stupidity on the part of the jurors. I can't see that justice is served by destroying a person's life over some tunes that were illegally distributed.

tigisfat
June 19th, 2009, 23:14
This is kinda like taking a person to court for removing the "do not remove" tag from their mattress.
I'm not familiar with the details of this woman's case, but I think that an award of $1.92 million for this type of crime is ridiculous and reflects a sickening level of greed on the part of the RIAA. Also a sickening level of stupidity on the part of the jurors. I can't see that justice is served by destroying a person's life over some tunes that were illegally distributed.

I think you said it the best.

cheezyflier
June 20th, 2009, 07:45
the money she has been ordered to pay is to replace money the record companies could have made had the people on kaza bought the 24 songs instead of downloading from her. it's still rediculous, and if it were me i wouldn't give them 10 cents

Lionheart
June 20th, 2009, 10:56
ahhh.... So she took her stolen songs and began dispersing them to the world..

Well.. Hopefully... (hopefully) she will not do that again...

Bill

Meshman
June 20th, 2009, 13:09
ahhh.... So she took her stolen songs and began dispersing them to the world..

Well.. Hopefully... (hopefully) she will not do that again...

Bill

Ahhh, now Bill starts to see the light. She had the opportunity to seek a monetary resolution before it went to trial. Article I read said the average was around $3,500USD. Instead she denied any culpability, even arguing it might have been her husband or daughter that were sharing the songs through Kazaa. Too bad the dim witted person was using the same username as in many other online social area.

Someone mentioned the penalty amount. Those fines are written into the law, giving certain leeway to implementation. FWIW, the fine could have been even more. To suggest she just be held responsible for the retail cost of the product shared? Let's say, as an example, I get Bill's Kodiak, crack the Flight1 protection and then put it on my hard drive for all to grab. If I'm caught after 1,000 people have downloaded the files, my fine should be $24.95? OK, but doesn't seem like much of a deterent from doing it again and again, nor for anyone else to think about doing it. Just my $.02.

MCDesigns
June 20th, 2009, 14:43
Ahhh, now Bill starts to see the light. She had the opportunity to seek a monetary resolution before it went to trial. Article I read said the average was around $3,500USD. Instead she denied any culpability, even arguing it might have been her husband or daughter that were sharing the songs through Kazaa. Too bad the dim witted person was using the same username as in many other online social area.

Someone mentioned the penalty amount. Those fines are written into the law, giving certain leeway to implementation. FWIW, the fine could have been even more. To suggest she just be held responsible for the retail cost of the product shared? Let's say, as an example, I get Bill's Kodiak, crack the Flight1 protection and then put it on my hard drive for all to grab. If I'm caught after 1,000 people have downloaded the files, my fine should be $24.95? OK, but doesn't seem like much of a deterent from doing it again and again, nor for anyone else to think about doing it. Just my $.02.

Great response!!

One point not mentioned, she was given a cease and desist order and ignored it, so she should pay for just being stupid. I don't really support the RIAA, BUT, I do feel and know it's wrong, no matter if "everyone else" is doing it. If you play and you take the chance, don't start whining when you are then held accountable for your actions.

What is even more sad is this is another example of how unbalanced our judicial system is when it comes to black and white, right and wrong, each judge has their own personal views instead of following the letter of the law, really makes me sick these days.