PDA

View Full Version : Messed up contrails???

Felixthreeone
June 18th, 2009, 13:39
Sorry for no screenshot, but I noticed recently that all of my 'contrail effects' seem to be displaying as flat white lines with no texture to them; I had a backup on my external drive, but I tried replacing what I thought were the offending files and it didn't fix it. Anyone have a list of the default contrail effects and the associated textures that accompany them? I'm not too sure I have been looking for the correct files :redface:

Desert Rat
June 18th, 2009, 14:17
Dunno, but have you turned down your effects quality?

Tom Clayton
June 18th, 2009, 14:45
Insert CD #1, then exit the installer screen.
Open My Computer.
Right-click CD icon and select "Explore."
Double-click the MSGAME1.cab icon to open it.
In the View menu, sort the files by type or name, then locate the fx_contrail_l.fx and fx_contrail_s.fx effect files.
Open your ...\Flight Simulator 9\Effects folder in a separate window, and drag the two files into your Sim, allowing the files to overwrite the old ones.
Be aware that the stock efect do have a rather flat profile when viewed from altitude. I've see replacements out there, but the ones I tried had a "dirty" color to them - they didn't stay on my system long...

Felixthreeone
June 18th, 2009, 15:05
Thanks guys! Turns out it was a missing effexts/texture: fx_smk! go figure? I have no idea why it would have gone missing, but now all is back to normal!!