PDA

View Full Version : New CFS2 modeler in the making

OBIO
June 18th, 2009, 08:13
I have finally taken the steps to become a modeler. I am still a long way away from producing anything of usable quality, but I have modeled my first "aircraft"...a V-2 rocket. I am currently working in FSDS v3.5, which will not work for making CFS2 aircraft, but I have plans to get the older version of FSDS to do CFS2 modeling.

I also have learned that Milton Shupe has done up a very good tutorial on Gmax modeling geared for those who have no experience working with Gmax. So, I will also be working toward a working ability in Gmax.

You can check out the thread on my first modeling success in the FS2004 forum.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=18091

OBIO

bismarck13
June 18th, 2009, 09:07
:applause:

Start with something that is single-engined and has fixed landing gear, then you will have less animations to worry about . . .

You can use FSDSV3 to make CFS2 aircraft but it is sort of like reverse engineering to do so . . .
It is much, much easier to just use FSDSV2 . . .

Personally, I think you should make a Brewster Buccaneer . . .
I could tell you where to get the plans . . . .

:wavey:

OBIO
June 18th, 2009, 09:24
I have my first plane picked out...the Ryan PT-22. Looks like it will be an easy(ish) plane to model and animate. But before I tackle that plane, I am going to do the V-1 rocket. It had "wings" and full flight control surfaces...another simple project to help me get my bearings with modeling and animation and all that jazz.

I like the look of the Buccanner, but that canopy structure looks a bit daunting at the moment. The first modeling that I did was with the Republic P-43 Lancer. I have the fuselage cross sectioned sideways and from the top...but hit a brick wall when it comes to shaping the fuselage from front to back and getting the canopy shape done. I set it aside for a while until I get more comfortable working with 3D modeling and working with complex shapes. I did not want to spend hours and hours in frustration as that could dampen my enthusiasm for modeling....which is what happened in Gmax and why I tossed it aside.

OBIO

baldy
June 18th, 2009, 09:45
stick at Obio - you learn something new every time - everyone's first attempts leave a lot to be desired - mine still do - you'll only get better.

baldy

thicko
June 18th, 2009, 15:08
Either program has it's learning time to go through. FSDS is cool to work with, but Gmax can do so much more, hence more complex and longer to learn. Your should go through Milton's Cessna 162 tutorial in Gmax and make it. You won't have problems making and shaping fuselage cross sections or canopy frames then. It takes a lot of planning to do a complicated canopy in FSDS2, but a snap in Gmax.
Cheers Thicko

OBIO
June 18th, 2009, 15:32
I plan on using Milton's tute to give Gmax another try....though I do like the fact that FSDS can output a CFS2 file with out having to jump through a ton of hurdles as I have heard that needs to be done with Gmax.

OBIO

kelticheart
June 20th, 2009, 02:47
Hi Obio,

great decision! Another modeler to keep CFS2 alive 'n kickin'! :icon29:

I can't wait to see your first model. Anytime you'd need a custom prop disc just holler in my direction! :d

Cheers!
KH :ernae: