PDA

View Full Version : Middle and second name???

gera
June 18th, 2009, 07:05
Does anyone know what was "Jesusīs" middle and second name????:kilroy:

Snuffy
June 18th, 2009, 07:26
You referring to the one and only ... or someone else?

If its the one and only, I've heard so many variants of that name that I couldn't choose the right one I'm sure.

:sleep:

gera
June 18th, 2009, 08:34
that One!!!!.....really its interesting that there is no mention of this most anywhere......not even NatGO has told us!!!!!!!:kilroy::kilroy:

Mick
June 18th, 2009, 08:51
Some people seem to think his middle initial was H...

I'm not sure if they used middle names in that place in those days.

I don't think they used surnames, at least not for he ordinary class of people, and if not, then there would be no such thing as a middle name or a last name.

If identification beyond a given name was needed, many folks seem to have used their home town, as in "Jesus of Nazareth."

Occupations might also be used, like "Joseph the Carpenter" or "John the Baptist."

They also tacked on other identifiers, like "The Greater" or "The Less" or "The Fair."

It sort of reminds me of the present day Sherpa people, who don't use surnames. If they're doing something Western that requires it, like opening a bank account, they just use "Sherpa" as a last name, but they don't consider it a name; it's just something to fill a space on a form.

Names are only one of the ways we can get confused by trying to think in modern terms about ancient times. Not just customs but ways of looking at the world have changed. That makes the translation of ancient languages especially challenging.

One of the reasons Christianity has split into so many sects is that some people read the scriptures as if the were written in modern English, and they try to understand them accordingly; some are familiar with the languages they were written in, the concepts of the time, and the associated literary and speech conventions of the day; most folks stand somewhere between those extremes. You can see where different people with different degrees of knowledge and understanding might read the same passage and come up with wildly different interpretations of what it says and means.

My guess is that he didn't have a middle or last name in the sense that we do.

n4gix
June 18th, 2009, 09:25
Mick is absolutely correct. No surnames (family names), and certainly no "middle names."

Depending on the precise circumstances, He would have been introduced as:

Jesus of Nazareth
Jesus son of Joseph (Yeshua bar Yousef)
Jesus the Carpenter

6297J
June 18th, 2009, 10:02
Jesus son of Mary 'yeah, right' the Virgin

Snuffy
June 18th, 2009, 10:04
Jesus son of Mary 'yeah, right' the Virgin

Actually, the Hebrew/Israeli family system was patriarchial not matriarchial, therefore Jesus would be identified more properly with his "father" (presumed and in this case "step father").

Isra
June 18th, 2009, 10:28
Actually, the Hebrew/Israeli family system was patriarchial not matriarchial, there fore Jesus would be identified more properly with his "father" (presumed and in this case "step father").

Thats right! I lived for many Years in Israel and the West Bank! The thing is, and it is still in these Days that you relate your Name mostly with your Fathers Name. Something like Jesus, Son of ......!
Almost the same we used for Arafat ! Noone said Jassir Arafat, we said Abu Khalil, what means Father of Hebron. I have tonns of Friends and i never said a familiy name, even they have on. It's always relatet to the Father ;)
Example: Shlomo Aba David
His Name: Shlomo
Father (Aba): David

But back to the question!
There are a few names used for jesus:
-Jesus of Nazareth
-Jesus Son of David (King David)
-Jesus Abu Josef

For me, the begining and the end, the one and only, King of Kings, my Dady!

Henry
June 18th, 2009, 11:38

You can see where different people with different degrees of knowledge and understanding might read the same passage and come up with wildly different interpretations of what it says and means.

you are correct in both sentences
love the first:icon_lol:
and the second could be
true of what could happen in this thread
religion is like politics
many have strong views
with respect to all
do not let this go astray please
H

Toastmaker
June 18th, 2009, 11:45
I agree that at the time, he would have been identified or presented as "Jesus of Nazareth".

Francois
June 18th, 2009, 13:19
many have strong views
with respect to all
H

Correct. That's why there are wars in this world of ours..... :kilroy:

lifejogger
June 18th, 2009, 13:36
Actually, the Hebrew/Israeli family system was patriarchial not matriarchial, there fore Jesus would be identified more properly with his "father" (presumed and in this case "step father").

It would be, Jesus Son God.

or

Joshua bar Yahweh.

viking3
June 18th, 2009, 14:07
His family name was Murphy,:icon_lol: at least according to the Newfies I know:kilroy:. Newfies are Newfoundlanders for those who don't know, and they have a language all their own. So there ya go, Jesus Murphy by.

Regards, Rob:ernae:

Lionheart
June 18th, 2009, 21:12
If I am correct, in the old days, say about 100 years ago and more, (perhaps 200 or more), your middle name was actually called your 'Christian' name. This was from your Baptism.

When you are baptised, you are reborn, born into the Holy Spirit. Jesus would often rename his followers (Desciples). For instance, Sol became Paul. So ones middle name was his 'Christian' name.

Jesus in Hebrew is acutally Joshua. It has changed (for the English speakers) over the years, but basically, you would actually say 'Jesus' as Yi-shoo-ah' which is the Hebrew pronounciation of Jesus or Joshua.

But, remember, when He, the King of Kings was born as a human, was also called Immanuel which in a single name or word or meaning which is 'God With Us'.

So, I if this were a test, and the question was what His middle name was, I would say Immanuel.

Now, His title became Messiah, which was prewritten hundreds of years before in prophetic scripture, the coming of a great Messiah (pronounced Mi-Schich-ah in Hebrew). But that is a title, and was hidden from the people until after the Lamb was saccrificed.

NOTE: On some British applications and forms, they request your 'Christian' name which is your middle name.

Bill

Henry
June 19th, 2009, 05:27
NOTE: On some British applications and forms, they request your 'Christian' name which is your middle name.

Bill
my Christian name is Michael but my Middle name is Henry
where did you get that info from?
and i am British

<table id="wn"><tbody><tr><td valign="top">Noun</td><td valign="top">1.</td><td>Christian name - the first name given to Christians at birth or christeningbaptismal name (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/baptismal+name)
first name (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/first+name), forename (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/forename), given name (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/given+name) - the name that precedes the surname
</td></tr></tbody></table>
H

Lionheart
June 19th, 2009, 08:32
my Christian name is Michael but my Middle name is Henry
where did you get that info from?
and i am British

<table id="wn"><tbody><tr><td valign="top">Noun</td><td valign="top">1.</td><td>Christian name - the first name given to Christians at birth or christeningbaptismal name (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/baptismal+name)
first name (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/first+name), forename (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/forename), given name (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/given+name) - the name that precedes the surname
</td></tr></tbody></table>
H

Henry,

I had thought the Christian name was the middle name.. My oops. :redf:

Bill

Henry
June 19th, 2009, 09:07
Henry,

I had thought the Christian name was the middle name.. My oops. :redf:

Bill
LOL
looking at my post
i look a little rude
i did not mean it that way
H:guinness:

6297J
June 19th, 2009, 09:39
I have a first, middle and last name. There is nothing at all Christian about me :engel016:

Tako_Kichi
June 19th, 2009, 11:48
I have a first, middle and last name. There is nothing at all Christian about me :engel016:

I am in the same boat!

gera
June 19th, 2009, 12:59
you are correct in both sentences
love the first:icon_lol:
and the second could be
true of what could happen in this thread
many have strong views
with respect to all
H

Whoīs talking religion??? this is about a manīs name!!!!! do not confuse things here.......:pop4:

gera
June 19th, 2009, 13:00

I'm not sure if they used middle names in that place in those days.

I don't think they used surnames, at least not for he ordinary class of people, and if not, then there would be no such thing as a middle name or a last name.

If identification beyond a given name was needed, many folks seem to have used their home town, as in "Jesus of Nazareth."

Occupations might also be used, like "Joseph the Carpenter" or "John the Baptist."

They also tacked on other identifiers, like "The Greater" or "The Less" or "The Fair."

It sort of reminds me of the present day Sherpa people, who don't use surnames. If they're doing something Western that requires it, like opening a bank account, they just use "Sherpa" as a last name, but they don't consider it a name; it's just something to fill a space on a form.

Names are only one of the ways we can get confused by trying to think in modern terms about ancient times. Not just customs but ways of looking at the world have changed. That makes the translation of ancient languages especially challenging.

One of the reasons Christianity has split into so many sects is that some people read the scriptures as if the were written in modern English, and they try to understand them accordingly; some are familiar with the languages they were written in, the concepts of the time, and the associated literary and speech conventions of the day; most folks stand somewhere between those extremes. You can see where different people with different degrees of knowledge and understanding might read the same passage and come up with wildly different interpretations of what it says and means.

My guess is that he didn't have a middle or last name in the sense that we do.

I think you are right.....

Henry
June 19th, 2009, 13:03
Whoīs talking religion??? this is about a manīs name!!!!! do not confuse things here.......:pop4:
Im not confused at all
im just watching an waiting
before things turn
when you have been around here as long as I
you would know the warning signs before they happen
nothing has happened but be assured
its being watched:icon_lol:
H

gera
June 19th, 2009, 13:18
Im not confused at all
im just watching an waiting
before things turn
when you have been around here as long as I
you would know the warning signs before they happen
nothing has happened but be assured
its being watched:icon_lol:
H

Enjoy yourself man....you worry too much and usually tangle things up...be cool, have some wine, enjoy a movie, see your girlfriend, ride a bike, take the dog out, eat some Tabasco sauce but mainly be cool.....happy weekend....:gameoff:

Henry
June 19th, 2009, 19:42
Enjoy yourself man....you worry too much and usually tangle things up...be cool, have some wine, enjoy a movie, see your girlfriend, ride a bike, take the dog out, eat some Tabasco sauce but mainly be cool.....happy weekend....:gameoff:be extremely
careful my friend
if you do not want to be here
im just doing what i should be doing
if you do not like that
Tough
H

Pauke! Pauke!
June 19th, 2009, 20:17
Could it be Yeshuah (Jesus) Ben Joseph? Traditionally speaking? This would be Jesus of Joseph or Jesus son of Joseph.

Kiwikat
June 20th, 2009, 00:39

:ernae:

wombat666
June 20th, 2009, 03:13
I am in the same boat!

Must be enough of us to crew an Olympic 8!
:kilroy:

Moparmike
June 20th, 2009, 04:57
Enjoy yourself man....you worry too much and usually tangle things up...be cool, have some wine, enjoy a movie, see your girlfriend, ride a bike, take the dog out, eat some Tabasco sauce but mainly be cool.....happy weekend....:gameoff:

Gera,
Warning from another admin...
You're treading on very thin ice with that statement.

As for the "is this thread religious or just about a man's name" question...
Either way that you intended when you started the thread, you can just about bet on the fact that some folks somewhere will interpret it as being religious given the person in question in your initial post. While that may not be your intention, given the diversity of people that visit this site, it could easily be interpreted that way by some.

Willy
June 20th, 2009, 12:10
From another Admin. Very thin ice here indeed. Watch your step.

6297J
June 20th, 2009, 12:28
Must be enough of us to crew an Olympic 8!
:kilroy:

We might need a boat with all this thinning ice around here!

Moparmike
June 20th, 2009, 13:40
We might need a boat with all this thinning ice around here!

Flames do have a tendency to do melt frozen water! :d