PDA

View Full Version : "ReadyBoost" and FSX?

LTCSZ
June 17th, 2009, 17:23
Has anyone tried the "Ready Boost" feature of Vista with FSX?...Would it, in fact, add the equivalent amount of RAM to the system? i.e., if you use a 4gb thumbdrive, would that add 4gb of RAM available to FSX in addition to the built-in RAM? Thanks,

Steve

Meshman
June 17th, 2009, 17:40
Old article, don't know if it still applies; http://www.pcworld.com/article/131742/readyboost_flash_drives_lack_significant_boost.htm l

LTCSZ
June 17th, 2009, 18:25
I read the above article...I am not so concerned with using the Ready Boost to smooth out my system's performance...It runs FSX fine...I am wondering if Ready Boost will help prevent out of memory errors...I have 4gb of RAM, but occasionally I still have a CTD for running out of memory...But, it is strange; when it occurs, my RAM meter says I am only at 70% of usage...I have tested my RAM using MemTest86 and all is well...I have noticed that when using a 4gb thumbdrive that is supposed to be "readyboosting" the access light on the drive flashes from time to time, so it must be doing something! Thanks for the advice and keep it coming!

Steve

SolarEagle
June 17th, 2009, 18:25
Ready boost only acts as virtual memory, and virtual memeory is only used when you run out of physical RAM. You would be far off better in adding more RAM than attempting to use a thumb drive as RAM. The OS already uses the hard drive for virtual memory if it runs out physical RAM, so all you would be doing is moving any potential virtual memory usage from HDD to thumb drive. They call it ready BOOST only because a thumb drive is faster than a hard drive.

The simple fact of the matter is that if your system is using virtual memory to begin with you need more RAM, so ready boost is only beneficial for those who can't add more RAM for one reason or another.

abrussell
June 18th, 2009, 09:03
I tried Ready Boost when it first came out but learned that it would only work on systems with 2GB of ram or less.
Bruce