PDA

View Full Version : Grounded, please help.

Marlin
June 17th, 2009, 17:03
Hello everybody, I hope that you can help me out over here because I am grounded until I figure out how to make my controller work again.

My computer is not detecting anything connected to its’ USB ports (flashcards, camera, controllers…) They have power going to them and the camera connects to mass storage, but the OS fails to recognize them.

The very last thing I did with anything USB related was get some pictures off of my camera. I did something that I usually don’t do, and that is when that little box shows up that say ‘new hardware detected’, I clicked on it. I usually just ignore them, right click on my computer, get my pics and move on.

By me clicking on that box it has somehow turned off or removed the little icon that ALWAYS sits in the tray right next to the clock. When I used to ‘mouse’ over that icon it used to say, ‘safely remove hardware’ or something like that.
That icon was to C: USBToolbox or with the Ctrl Alt Del it is under Res.exe which by the way are running.

We tried the fix at the following link, but still nothing is being detected.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817900 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817900)
We also physically disconnected the external USB ports from the motherboard, booted up to the desktop then shut it down. We reconnected all USB ports again and restarted in hopes that the computer would recognize the “new” hardware. Nothing.
We updated the drivers to the latest goodness, and uninstalled/reinstalled the USB controllers and USB root hubs. Still won’t recognize anything connected to the USB ports (Onboard, or External).
We checked the BIOS settings in case for some strange reason they changed themselves, nope. The PnP settings are good, and the IRQ ports are set to ‘auto’ so we should be good to go, but still nothing. Incidentally the USB 1.1 is set to port 11, and USB 2.0 is set to 10.

I hope somebody helps me so I can do this again,
Thanks a bizillion everybody.:applause:

Motormouse
June 17th, 2009, 17:20
dunno, system restore maybe?

ttfn

Pete

Marlin
June 17th, 2009, 17:50
Ahh, system restore.

I can’t do a system restore because of the latest java update.

Brett_Henderson
June 17th, 2009, 17:53
I'd try a CMOS reset... You know, that deal where you pull the battery, and then move a jumper over and back ?

OR.. along similar lines, maybe even flash the latest BIOS

Marlin
June 17th, 2009, 20:20
I forgot to mention that I’m running XP.

I have never done that Brett, nor do I know how. But I’ll do it if somebody could give some directions.:applause:

Thank you everbody for the words :applause::icon29::applause:

BananaBob
June 17th, 2009, 20:34
I used to have that little icon too in the corner and I get every time I reinstall WinXP because I leave USB devices plugged in while I'm reloading the system, I think that's why it shows up any way, lol, it's gone now, disappeared on it's own somehow. :kilroy::ernae:

gigabyte
June 17th, 2009, 20:38
Hi Marlin,

Not sure if you went quite this far, but have you used Device Manager to delete the USB Hubs and Controllers? I have had simular problems when adding USB Digitizing Tablets to a couple of CAD machines at work, the Tablet driver caused real problems, I tried standard "Uninstall" in the control panel, and Add/Remove Hardware, but neither helped, the only solution was to use device manager to remove all traces of the USB controller and the hubs, then refresh, no reboot required - device manager detected that the device driver was not installed and ran through the install process.

gigabyte
June 17th, 2009, 20:45
I forgot to mention that I’m running XP.

I have never done that Brett, nor do I know how. But I’ll do it if somebody could give some directions.:applause:

Thank you everbody for the words :applause::icon29::applause:

Resetting the CMOS is not the same on every MOBO, most require you to remove a battery then locate and short a pin (dig out the magnifying glass to find the shorting pin it is not easy to find on some boards). You will have to find the exact process for your specific MOBO. There is another thing you could try, reset the BIOS first, that is generally simpler, just get into the BIOS (normally something like F2, F10, or Escape) by touching the right key(s) on start up and when the BIOS screen appear locate the "Reset to Factory Defaults" most often on the last page to the right or very bottom page depending on th BIOS manufacturer.

limjack
June 17th, 2009, 21:47
O-man Marlin, I feel for ya. I hate when the machines fight against us like this. I wish you the best of luck figuring it out with the advice from others who have the knowledge.

Jim

Marlin
June 17th, 2009, 21:52
This sounds like what you are talking about Mike?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817900 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817900)
Yes, I did the whole list.

Edit: Thanks Jim :)

kdl
June 17th, 2009, 22:19
Possibly 2 reasons:

1. inf-cache damaged:
look for infcache.1 (it's in \Windows folder somewhere)
possibly this file is damaged

2. Variable in registry wrong
- look for
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion
in the entry DevicePath you should find %systemroot%\inf

In both cases:

-delete your usb connections in "Hardware device" (not familiar with the enlish expression)
- delete both entries (infcache.1, DevicePath %systemroot%\inf
- reboot system
- plug your usb connections again
- windows will recover the drivers
Greetings
Dieter

abrussell
June 18th, 2009, 09:00
Marlin
Your comment about system restore and java update caught my attention, as I have not been able to do a system restore for some time. Could you explain in a little more detail.
Thanks
Bruce

Marlin
June 18th, 2009, 15:26
Ya know Bruce, I haven't really looked into THAT problem yet.
So I don't know what to tell you about that JAVA deal.

gigabyte
June 18th, 2009, 17:53
Marlin, you might want to check out Fred Langa's column on the Information Week web site, if in fact this is a "Windows System" problem and not a hardware failure, you may need to resort to a Windows XP reinstall. Now as much of a PITA as that sounds Fred has documented a process to reinstall windows XP WITHOUT reformatting and saving all (or most all) of your current installed Apps, settings, and data. Take a look at the following link -

http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=189400897

As always proceed with cauation and BACKUP EVERYTHING you want to be sure to save!

On a personal note, I am a Network Admin for a large company and I have used this procedure numerous times, and I have to say it has been a life saver more than once.

I have found many of Fred Langa's columns very useful - and no I don't get anything for saying that...lol so take a peek around his past columns there is some good stuff there.

gigabyte
June 18th, 2009, 18:00
Marlin
Your comment about system restore and java update caught my attention, as I have not been able to do a system restore for some time. Could you explain in a little more detail.
Thanks
Bruce

Bruce, System restore is fairly painless, just touch F8 during the boot up process and select System Restore from the Boot options menu. Keep in mind you may not have a Restore point saved, it can be shut off. You can check in System Tools (I think that is where it is located in XP - I am on my Vista box right now). One thing I recommend is , if you are going to start messing with Restore points, make sure you create a restore point in the beginning, that way if things do not work out you can get back to where you started and at least be no worse off for the effort.

Marlin
June 18th, 2009, 18:21
Possibly 2 reasons:

1. inf-cache damaged:
look for infcache.1 (it's in \Windows folder somewhere)
possibly this file is damaged

2. Variable in registry wrong
- look for
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion
in the entry DevicePath you should find %systemroot%\inf

In both cases:

-delete your usb connections in "Hardware device" (not familiar with the enlish expression)
- delete both entries (infcache.1, DevicePath %systemroot%\inf
- reboot system
- plug your usb connections again
- windows will recover the drivers
Greetings
Dieter

Bruce, I followed your directions to the tee except for the usb hubs. I removed the whole shooting match, not just the Root Hub. All four.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k320/Marlint/devicemanager.jpg

But still this is what got when I went to the X-52 launch profile editor, of course AFTER I already plugged it in.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k320/Marlint/x52.jpg

The same thing goes for the camera, it connects yet it still is unaccessable from anywhere that I can see. Right click on My Computer and it is usually there big as day, “SONY Cybershot” or whatever it usually said. Nothing

kdl
June 19th, 2009, 01:25
Maybe this helps:
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread7700.html

see:#5
Greetings
Dieter

waco
June 19th, 2009, 08:13
Gigabyte's "Repair" tip is a quite good option. I've used it countless times over the past few years, and it works successfully. I keep the printed instructions on hand, which I found on another site a long time ago. I totally recommend you try it, Marlin.

And I also recommend you slip stream the needed Security Packs onto a new disk with XP for an easier, quicker. repair, like Langa recommends.

Marlin
June 20th, 2009, 02:57
There is a lot of information to digest here, so I have my homework cut out for me.

I sure do want to thank EVERYBODY for helping me out.:applause::icon29::applause:

I still havent' reset the CMOS yet, (pulled the battery) should I do it?

harleyman
June 20th, 2009, 03:52
There is a lot of information to digest here, so I have my homework cut out for me.

I sure do want to thank EVERYBODY for helping me out.:applause::icon29::applause:

I still havent' reset the CMOS yet, (pulled the battery) should I do it?

I think NO..That will not help the fact that you lost your USB's....Unless you lost them due to a bad OC..

Have you tried a Windows repair?