PDA

View Full Version : Saying Goodbye to FS9!!!

MenendezDiego
June 17th, 2009, 01:11
Well I have finally gotten FSX to run how I'd always imagined!

Watch in HD
</EMBED>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n86B6E3tiYE

FS9, you were good in your own speacial way, but I have moved on!

Regards, Diego

Lionheart
June 17th, 2009, 01:19
Bien venue Diego....

:engel016:

Bill

bushpilot
June 17th, 2009, 01:34
Beautiful video there! And congrats on moving on:icon_lol::icon_lol:!

I ditched FS9 the moment I first time installed FSX a couple of years ago. Haven't missed it a bit. Never fully realized the purpose for FS9, as it was almost like FS2002. It was outdated already the day it was released. For a low&slow freak like me, FSX was a dream come true:running:

Mathias
June 17th, 2009, 01:53
Welcome to the dark side, Diego!

I ditched FS9 the moment I first time installed FSX a couple of years ago. Haven't missed it a bit. Never fully realized the purpose for FS9, as it was almost like FS2002. It was outdated already the day it was released. For a low&slow freak like me, FSX was a dream come true:running:

Hehe, I always thought FS9 was really a service pack for FS8.

Naismith
June 17th, 2009, 01:53
Nice video there. Though FS2004 is still very worthy and has lots yet to offer. Just depends on your needs for a sim I guess. I struggled and gave up on FSX until I got the gear to run it well, then I gave up on FS2004 for a while, but there are just so many aircraft that are great in 2004 that do not port well across to FSX. So I split my time probably 70/30 in favour of the new sim.
And I have to add that FS9 on an I7 Intel is stunningly good.

MenendezDiego
June 17th, 2009, 01:54
Thanks guys! Believe it or not, I went from FSX to FS9 for a few months. Was playing around with some planes and scenery that FSX didn't have.

I mainly used FS9 for the VRS F/A-18E and taking screen shots (some of my favorites below)

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm206/MenendezDiego2008/VRSVF-31.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm206/MenendezDiego2008/VRSVF-312-1.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm206/MenendezDiego2008/F-15ITakeOff2.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm206/MenendezDiego2008/f-18land.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm206/MenendezDiego2008/ready.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm206/MenendezDiego2008/EFA4.jpg

No doubt I will still use FS9 for taking screen shots, as many of them turn out really nicely.

As for flying though, FSX all the way!!

Regards, Diego

Z-PurpleBubble
June 17th, 2009, 02:21
Nice video there. Though FS2004 is still very worthy and has lots yet to offer. Just depends on your needs for a sim I guess. I struggled and gave up on FSX until I got the gear to run it well, then I gave up on FS2004 for a while, but there are just so many aircraft that are great in 2004 that do not port well across to FSX. So I split my time probably 70/30 in favour of the new sim.
And I have to add that FS9 on an I7 Intel is stunningly good.

I have to agree with Naismith. As long as there is no F-4 Phantom for FSX with Cloud9 quality available, I'm keeping FS9.

Also, with all the enhancements available for it, you can actually make it look almost as good as FSX, with simply crazy framerates to boot!

Just my two €cents worth.

MudMarine
June 17th, 2009, 02:35
I still find FSX to be a steaming pile of.........eventhough my system runs it very well I continue to have endless crash/bugs etc. I'm glad someone can run it! Me......FS9 will be on my system a while longer!:engel016:

Kiwikat
June 17th, 2009, 02:41
I find that FSX runs better on my machine than FS9 does. It gives me more FPS and looks a million times better. I don't quite know where people go wrong with fsx. :monkies:

Anyways, welcome to the dark side. Once you enter the shadows, you never go back. We have cookies!

Brett_Henderson
June 17th, 2009, 03:35
AMAZING video !!

:ernae:

I had far more mysterious crashes with FS9, than FSX.

If you have the hardware to run it, it runs trouble-free.. if you have the hardware to let it run like it is able to run... FSX is to FS9, as broad-band is to dial-up..

MudMarine
June 17th, 2009, 03:51
:icon_lol: Tell all that to my system that was built for FSX! I have the hardware. You tell me what's wrong? Everything else runs fine on my system. FS9 for me has basically unlimited FPS. I can run the latest games smooth. FSX crashes, bumps, stalls.....I've tweak and re-tweak, loaded and reload so many times I've forgotten. But hey, FSX is flawless it's just me!:icon_lol::engel016:

Cazzie
June 17th, 2009, 04:05
Super video and yes, FSX is super when you once get it to perform.

But leave FS9, not me, too many great airplanes not available for FSX, too much $$$ tied up in add-ons, and frames rates are always consistent, no matter how populated the area is!

Caz

Brett_Henderson
June 17th, 2009, 04:07
I first ran FSX on my FS9 machine .. which, by the way took three upgrades to achieve.. an Athlon 3700 o'clocked to 3.0Ghz / 7800GTS.

From a fresh install, FSX was bug-free.. but performed poorly. I got into trouble when I started tweaking and messing in the FSX.cfg file.. and experimenting with drivers.. etc etc..

A fresh install on my current machine, ( Q9550 at 3.8Ghz .. GTX260-896 ), and it runs pretty darn well.. but I'm still a little short on the hardware

Are you having these troubles on a clean install.. just install and run ?

Brett_Henderson
June 17th, 2009, 04:16

But leave FS9, not me, too many great airplanes not available for FSX, too much $$$ tied up in add-ons, and frames rates are always consistent, no matter how populated the area is!

Caz

I didn't so much leave FS9.. it's just that compared to FSX, it's stale and flat. Moving on was as natural a progression as moving from FS2002 to FS9. I don't collect models. I have a few, select payware, and of course the freeware models that I produced. That's more than enough variety to keep me entertained. When I sit down to sim.. I'm more concerned about realism. More times than not, I'm practicing actual procedures and/or flights I've taken, or plan to take, for real. There's no real point to even have FS9 installed..

flyingip
June 17th, 2009, 04:17
Howly cow! That's amazing :jump:
I can't get my REX looking so good, what do you use as weather engine?

Cheers

pointy31
June 17th, 2009, 04:20

Caz

Same here...I have both installed on my machine, and tho FSX runs really well, I'll not get rid of FS9...In fact, I'm fixing to buy a few more planes for FS9...:icon29:

Navy Chief
June 17th, 2009, 04:25
I am still, for now, keeping FS9. I just can't let it go!

NC

peter12213
June 17th, 2009, 05:14
there is simply no beating fsx acceleration it is imply the best flight sim available!! Anyone just using fs9 cannot know how good it is, just take aircraft like the aerosoft F16, classics hanger fw190 and others that are only acceleration compatable and you'll see the difference bigstyle! Its is a shame about the vrs f18 but we'll have that soon enough for fsx tho!

Dangerous Beans
June 17th, 2009, 05:20
Cool video Diego.
Even caught myself turning my head thinking I had my TrackIR on :icon_lol:

gera
June 17th, 2009, 07:47
Oh well, all is fine in the Sim world....Me? I quit FS9 about 1.5 years ago for good!!! got into FSX with all its growing pains and one day it worked like a charm, oviously after spending a lot of Mula in hardware, but thatīs ok!!!!...NOW!!!!! I am into Train Sims too!!! wow they are great, specially TrainZ!!!! neat--I have an HO sitting in the den full of dust that gave me many years of great enjoyment---X-Plane also take some of my time..Gee Guys I go to bed at 1:30 AM every day!!!!! so many toys!!!!! Mamma Mia!!!!...letīs have some wine...............:ernae:

kilo delta
June 17th, 2009, 08:09
I abandoned fs9 on the same day that FSX was released.

deathfromafar
June 17th, 2009, 10:36
I keep both for now. There are some things that I prefer in both sims with certain aircraft and scenery. They both run about the same overall and look equally good in many aspects. FSX native aircraft detail is no doubt superior to FS9 but many of my FS9 tubeliners with FMS and other systems run far better in FS9. The other issue is that much of my scenery for FS9 is outstanding as is a small number of my FSX scenery areas. Much of the FSX mesh has some glaring omissions or errors that FS9 had fairly correct. It's a tradeoff I suppose in which FSX has plenty of room to grow.

At some point I will make the full transition over to FSX but the key right now is that MY ENJOYMENT is had in both FS9 and FSX.
:icon29: