PDA

View Full Version : Tell me this isn't scary

Dangerousdave26
June 15th, 2009, 05:01
A plane goes off the runway in Indonesia watch the right hand propeller after it stops.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8100209.stm

Brian_Gladden
June 15th, 2009, 06:31
A plane goes off the runway in Indonesia watch the right hand propeller after it stops.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8100209.stm

It didn't stop.. Looks like it's still chopping the underbrush as it departed the country....

Sorry ... Anyway. Looks like a messed up landing. The shouldn't have had anything to do with it. Probably didn't get on the brakes evenly or perhaps a brake failure on one side. However a 328 should have gone to reverse well before getting on the brakes.

Brian

OBIO
June 15th, 2009, 08:25
They are blaming this accident on the dog running across the strip....that dog was almost off the strip by the time the plane/pilot reacted. And, if they hit the dog, I doubt it would have caused as much damage as the plane sliding off the runway did. I would have kept on keeping on...just land the plane and bring it to a normal stop. Making an attempt to keep from hitting the dog put that plane and all its passengers in danger of being lost.

Its sort of like the advice they give for when a deer runs out in front of your car. Brake and hit the deer...do not swerve trying to avoid the deer as that is more likely to cause you to lose control of the vehicle and the resulting accident could be far worse than hitting the deer. Deer weighs a couple hundred pounds or so, and move when you hit them....a tree weighs a ton or more and is firmly anchored to the ground and does not move when you hit it. Hitting the deer is less dangerous than hitting a tree.

Hitting a dog in a plane is less dangerous than skidding your plane into a ditch and a hillside.

OBIO

Lionheart
June 15th, 2009, 09:34
That was odd.. The dog looked pretty far away to me. There was a moment or space in time where the plane suddenly had a twitch in direction, like they jammed on the breaks on one side, like Brian said. Might have started doing a back and fourth motion because of the wet runway.

Man, that was one rough looking runway.

But... They all lived. :d yayyyy! Slid off the runway, no explosions.

Bill

TARPSBird
June 15th, 2009, 10:01
Bad Dog! No biscuit! :d
One of them prop blades would leave a nasty mark if it hit ya. Looked to me more like crew technique (or lack of) rather than Rover that caused the accident.

kilo delta
June 15th, 2009, 10:38
Dornier's new patented Ruff landing technique!! :icon_lol:

I'll get me coat ! :monkies:

srgalahad
June 15th, 2009, 15:16
From the Real Life Adventures:
Report of 737 taking off, encountering a fox on the runway:
CP20 reports possibly hitting fox during takeoff roll.
Mtce Foreman sent to investigate.
Foreman reports fox was hit, remains consisted of a head and a tail.

The Doorknocker outweighs a dog by a large factor, but the PIC MAY have puckered and touched down with brakes on.. that will initiate a skid.

WND
June 15th, 2009, 16:34
I watched that video twice - and I don't think the dog was a factor at all!!!

I tend to lean more in the direction that the PIC just lost control of it due to several factors happening at once (wet pavement / uneven braking / uneven reversing etc)...

What really concerned me was the fact of the people bailing out of it with that left prop still spinning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good thing no one tripped / fell on the stairs before it stopped....

Bill

Navy Chief
June 15th, 2009, 17:11
Sort of an expensive weed trimmer, isn't it?

NC