PDA

View Full Version : CFS2 Netwings project...

Rami
June 14th, 2009, 10:20
To all CFS2 forum members,

Neil has informed us that Netwings is highly likely to remain closed.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?threadid=17883

This is sad news. There are certain files at Netwings that simply do not exist at SOH. So, the challenge for us in the CFS2 forum is to sort through what is and what is not here.

Could someone please take up the challenge of compiling what we have here already, and what might have to be uploaded?

You should feel free to use this thread for that purpose.

Thanks,

aceman0x
June 14th, 2009, 11:22
It is a pity that net wings was disappeared, I began downloading from there but I lost what I had, by a virus
few are the sites that survive now there are only sim-outhouse simnetwork simviation ab squad and avisim, but of the this last one the free library doesn't work

mariereid
June 14th, 2009, 12:10
Netwings was a really great site. For cfs2 fans, it was a place where you just had to visit, often.

Greystone
June 14th, 2009, 12:27
"Sucks" doesn't begin to cover the emotion of this recent abomination. I don't know who the little b**tard was that performed such needless ruination on the sim sites, but I believe castration with dull garden implements might be a suitable payback. Call me. I'm there if you find him.

Rami
June 14th, 2009, 12:51
I uploaded the Bedford Truck with proper permissions, even though Jagdflieger included it with his BoF - Stuka campaign.

Devildog73
June 14th, 2009, 13:18
I have pretty much everything off of Netwings in several CDs and on my HD.
The problem is that I do not know what was Netwings specific.

I have all AF Midway files, 1% aircraft, several others.

Rami
June 14th, 2009, 13:20
Devildog,

1% aircraft are all Netwings.

You can make a file list if you have time, we can sort through it.

safn1949
June 14th, 2009, 13:28
Like I said before,I have these 1% in zip form stored.I would be glad to burn a disc and send them to you Rami,my upload speeds are the pits.

kdriver
June 15th, 2009, 05:30
Gary Burns scenery - Battle of Britain package and British Airfield Buildings (not absolutely sure if the latter was at Netwings)

Rami
June 15th, 2009, 05:34
Kdriver,

The Gary Burns BoB scenery can be found at Simviation (Scenery, page 13)

The Airfield buildings can be found here in the library.

kdriver
June 15th, 2009, 05:36
Also Daniel Hamblin scenery - Holmsley South, Winkton and some other scenery in the Southhampton area.

kdriver
June 15th, 2009, 05:39
Thanks Rami, I wasn't sure whether you wanted downloads which were duplicated at other sites like Simviation.

MaskRider
June 15th, 2009, 05:43
Such a pity. Those were heady times back in the old CFS2 Online days, too.

Neil Washbrook
June 15th, 2009, 07:03
"Sucks" doesn't begin to cover the emotion of this recent abomination. I don't know who the little b**tard was that performed such needless ruination on the sim sites, but I believe castration with dull garden implements might be a suitable payback. Call me. I'm there if you find him.

Lets be clear on this it is NOT a result of hacking, its a victim of multiple take overs and mergers of the company that was giving us free hosting whilst I was un hospital.

To put it simply the hardware itself is missing. :( I have one more lead that I am following up so here is hoping

Neil

Neil Washbrook
June 15th, 2009, 07:08
Ok chaps thanks for the above support and getting the project to identify and locate files up and running.

I have had a very kind offer of hosting which I am considering strongly. It is going to represent a considerable amount of work and learning for me as its going to have to be a ground up design in a scripting language (php) that I have little or no experience in.

Not wanting to get hopes up but I do want to get Netwings up and running again. I would empahise that its not going to be next week or even next month and with my health record it might be some time indeed.

I have always said I will maintain Netwings as long as I possibly can and its a statement I intend to carry out even if its initially a blank forum and no files in the library!

Neil

Tango_Romeo
June 15th, 2009, 11:10
Could someone please take up the challenge of compiling what we have here already, and what might have to be uploaded?

...going to be a completely practical project until our own CFS2 Downloads are fully restored...or I should say as fully restored as possible. :isadizzy:

Hern07
June 15th, 2009, 16:54
Thank you Neil for all your past work, Netwings was my second favorite site (right after the Outhouse.) You never miss something until you lose it. :ernae:

hewman100
June 16th, 2009, 01:46
Can I bring up the Ki-48 Lily that UncleTgt did some new skins for?

I believe Netwings was the only place to get it.

Rami
June 16th, 2009, 03:39
Hewman,

That is precisely what we're looking for here. Things that were at Netwings that aren't found anywhere else. :ernae:

Do you have the original readme, as well?

miamieagle
June 16th, 2009, 06:49
I just hope Neil Washbrook can recover his health soon. God bless you for keeping your friendly Website open for soo long.It will surely be miss.

Thank you!:ernae::medals::icon29:

hewman100
June 18th, 2009, 02:06
I'll dig out the file and have a look. I only picked it up cos of UT skins. Now where did I put it......:running:

Desert Rat
June 18th, 2009, 11:45
maybe you could use this to refresh your memory as to what's been lost, http://web.archive.org/web/20071013045447/netwings.org/library/, heck sometimes even the file downloads are archived.

dunno how much is there, just gonna take a look...

Great project, my first ever flight website back in the good olédays, would love to see it back.
Jamie

gedm
June 18th, 2009, 14:16
it seems a few files can be D/Led from the archived site... :kilroy:

peterpan
June 22nd, 2009, 10:33
Hi Rami

I checked out the link to Netwings Archive listings that JDTinballs gave.

Suprisingly all most everything can be printed out to make checking easier. The only missig file names are 63 of 73 US ac and 54 of 74 Japanese skins.

I printed out the AvH listings and confirmed that I have all these on my HD.

I am willing to print out all the lists and then can search for the authors in the library to see if the dl is here if you think this will help.

peter

Rami
June 22nd, 2009, 10:37
Yeah...I also have about 35 1% aircraft from Netwings that Miamieagle sent me in my inbox.

miamieagle
June 22nd, 2009, 11:14
I will send you the the rest of the Av planes to you soon. I have only one PC and its biegn use by five member of my family. That does not let me to upload them as fast as would like.

dvslats
June 23rd, 2009, 10:53
Thinking that most here have seen this post http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=18316 I have a little question.....I'm no expert on how Domains/ websites operate so, Netwings computer or server is located not at Neil's home but some other location? A website's Administrator works from a home computer, then communicates with it from there? I'm just trying to understand how all of this works, as far as how the files and such are stored. :ques:

dvslats
June 23rd, 2009, 14:36
Thanks for educating me on the process involved for wesites CK. My ignorance on these matters and what is involved now has been greatly improved. :ernae: No...not more ignorance, less....:icon_lol:.

mariereid
June 24th, 2009, 03:09
Boy, i sure am glad you guys are taking care of us. I was lost after the first mention of server (1st word)

Seagull V
June 28th, 2009, 00:21
Is it possible to place the Airfiles for each of the 1% Aircraft into the Downloads Section so at least people could obtain them yo update their own aircraft files with ???? :wavey:

Rami
July 2nd, 2009, 07:09
I now have about 110 Netwings files in my e-mail box. What to do with them?

rhumbaflappy
July 2nd, 2009, 08:40
The sim outhouse was given permission to publish the 1% files. Henry was our contact for this. This was also conformed with me.

You should probably co-ordinate the file uploading here with Henry.. either as a single huge upload of all 1% files, or a new section for the 1% planes to be held in the Library.

But first, wouldn't we need a list of all planes sorted by country? Then the list can be filled by contributors that have the files at home. There also was a gauges pack I believe, and a weapons pack???

Dick

tobob
July 2nd, 2009, 11:42
Excellent news!!! :applause:

miamieagle
July 3rd, 2009, 07:03
First of all you can use them for your own use. The intention is for them to be use in the perservation of this Items Either in Sim-Outhouse with permition or in the future in the Netwing Website again. Its been done for the benefit of the community.

It would be shame if all this items where lost for ever for this community.

I believe you also receive some Items from the AER WW1 Website. Its intention is to be uploaded to Sim-Outhouse with permition for the benefit of the community.

There is lot more to be perserve. Its going to take a long time since the procces is very slow and limited.

Thank you Rami:medals::icon29: