PDA

View Full Version : My Father's Day Present

OBIO
June 12th, 2009, 12:14
Rocks!

Actually, I'm not a dad in the classical sense of having two legged dependents running around the house breaking things and touching my stuff. But I have "Fur-Kids", "Fin-Kids" and "Feather-Kids"...as in 2 dogs, 2 ferrets, four tanks of fish and 3 Parakeets. Anyhoosits...for Father's Day, my "kids" bought me a really neat 2 DVD package in a Tin Collector's Box: Pan Am: The Golden Age of Aviation. 10 hours of restored Pan Am footage of The great Clipper Ships of Pan Am. Depicted flights include Mexica, Hawaii, Mexico City, South America, Cuba, England, Iceland, Norway, France, Rome.

I haven't watched any of it yet...but an so excited about seeing the likes of the Boeing 314, Martin 130, Sikorsky S-40, 42, and 43, and other flying boats in the air, the crew, the destinations.

Found this set at the local Kroger grocery store. Told my wife about and she made me go back into town and buy it for my Father's Day gift before they were gone...they only had 2 of them left. $10.00 for 10 hours of vintage flying boat footage. Can't beat that as a Father's Day present.

It was released by Timeless Media Group, ISBN# 0-7411-1852-1

OBIO

Henry
June 12th, 2009, 12:29
Where do ya live?
and ya need someone to watch it with ya:applause::applause:
Good one
i guess ill get another neck tie
H:173go1:

OBIO
June 12th, 2009, 12:56
Hopefully you'll get one of those nice neck ties...ya know, the one with the lighted pink flamingo on it.

OBIO

cheezyflier
June 12th, 2009, 13:08
$10.00 for 10 hours of vintage flying boat footage. Can't beat that as a Father's Day present.

man! i can only think of one thing i'd rather have for father's day, and i couldn't type that in here :applause:
nice find!

i guess ill get another neck tie

i remember one year i bought my father a hot wheels car. i was completely caught by surprise when he said "why do you get me things that you want? why not get something you might think that i want?"

in my mind, everybody wanted really cool hotwheels cars. i thought it was a way better gift than the stupid tie my sister got him.:isadizzy::icon_lol:

Gdavis101
June 12th, 2009, 13:35
Good find!

TomSteber
June 12th, 2009, 13:39
I wonder if that's the same one that's available from Historic Aviation?
I think it's sold for more than $10 too.

Maybe for Father's Day (step-fathers day actually) I'll get my wife to sit down and watch a few episodes of "Baa, Baa Black Sheep"!

rpjkw
June 12th, 2009, 15:19
No necktie, but I'll bring the popcorn and cajun koolaid.

Bob

Edit: Since we don't have a Kroger's within 500 miles, I ordered the set from Amazon. Thanks for teh HU and I'll still bring the popcorn and adult beveridges.

Bob

Lionheart
June 12th, 2009, 21:11
Sounds like some awesome footage.

Seeing the old flying boats now these days is like watching pure fiction. Hard to imagine we had such huge planes so elaborately outfitted that flew transatlantic back then..

Bill

OBIO
June 13th, 2009, 08:24
Not only flying boats, but some nice vintage tubeliners as well. I watched maybe 5 minutes yesterday and they showed people climbing aboard a DC-4. Such a lovely aircraft. This coming Tuesday, my wife will be attenting a Girl's Day Out party at her cousins house, so I will have the house to myself. It will be me, the couch, the 42 inch plasma TV, a big bag of chips, a two litre of cold Dr. Pepper and as many hours of Pan Am footage as I can fit into one day.

OBIO