PDA

View Full Version : new scenery

Terry
June 12th, 2009, 08:57
quite nice at Flightsim.

FS2004 (ACOF) - FS2004 Scenery FS2004 Scenery--42VA - Virginia Beach
[ Download (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=136132) | View (http://www.flightsim.com/zview.php?cm=list&fid=136132) ]
Name: 42va_v10.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=136132) Size: 23,662,861 Date: 06-12-2009
http://www.flightsim.com/o/42VA_V10.GIF FS2004 Scenery--42VA - Virginia Beach Airport and Museum v1.0. Virginia Beach Airport and Museum, located in Virginia Beach, VA, USA. This facility is a private airport used by the Fighter Factory to maintain, display and fly vintage and replica aircraft, mainly from the World War 2 era. The art deco building, grass landing strip, checkered water tower and hangars are home to one of the world's largest private collection of vintage aircraft. Most objects using custom photoreal 32 bit textures designed in Gmax. Optional DTX textures included. Also includes new AFCAD file, more accurate airport grounds perimeter, area roads, animated hangar doors, and area landclass. No AI traffic included with this release. By EdGeneer Cox.

Sarge
June 12th, 2009, 11:06
It's funny you mentioned this. I'm currently adding dynamic AI to it now. These folks did an awesome job on this scenery! :applause:

Terry
June 12th, 2009, 13:56
It's funny you mentioned this. I'm currently adding dynamic AI to it now. These folks did an awesome job on this scenery! :applause:

Same here, just a few more tweeks.

planejunky
June 12th, 2009, 16:06
Now that looks nice! :applause:

Sarge
June 12th, 2009, 21:04
Same here, just a few more tweeks.

That's not what I had in mind. I just want to add dynamic AI's of vintage aircrafts to this awesome airport/museum. Not make a municiple airport of it. Adding fictional hangers doesn't do any justice for it at all, nor is it keeping it real (SEE SCREENSHOTS (http://cid-5767b5043a940b22.skydrive.live.com/play.aspx/42VA?ref=1)).

TARPSBird
June 12th, 2009, 22:04
This is a very nice airport, just an hour's drive or so from where I live. Looks great for GW or modern day (see pic). Just download and install, you'll like it. I'm using the default 32-bit textures and it works OK on my old pooter. :)

Terry
June 13th, 2009, 03:04
That's not what I had in mind. I just want to add dynamic AI's of vintage aircrafts to this awesome airport/museum. Not make a municiple airport of it. Adding fictional hangers doesn't do any justice for it at all, nor is it keeping it real (SEE SCREENSHOTS (http://cid-5767b5043a940b22.skydrive.live.com/play.aspx/42VA?ref=1)).

Being as I have never been there and never will be I don't care if it's accurate. I tweeked it to please myself, it won't harm you in any way.
This is just a hobby!

TARPSBird
June 13th, 2009, 05:19
Terry,
I liked the people and vehicles in the parking lot. Where did you get them?

Terry
June 13th, 2009, 06:49
Terry,
I liked the people and vehicles in the parking lot. Where did you get them?

From the scenery object libraries. You can get them all in one file at Flightsim. EZOLIV33.ZIP

Adding to scenery to suit your taste is just as much fun as flying and just as addictive. Have fun.

Tom Clayton
June 13th, 2009, 09:19
Looks like nice scenery - tweaked or not! I think I'll stick this one so it's not missed!

middle
June 13th, 2009, 12:23
I just now added it myself...all I gotta do now is fire up the sim and see how it looks!!!

stansdds
June 13th, 2009, 14:51
Looks great! I wish this was available for FSX.

Flyboy208
June 13th, 2009, 15:07
A great new roost for my warbirds, had alot of fun flying here this afternoon.

Fantastic scenery, just awesome!

Some shots to share ....

Cheers! Mike :wavey:

Flyboy208
June 13th, 2009, 15:10
10 more images ...

WND
June 14th, 2009, 05:46
Nice scenery!!!!!!!!!!!
Might as well have one of their "pride and joys" sitting there!!!

Bill

Wing_Z
June 14th, 2009, 11:36
... I just want to add dynamic AI's of vintage aircrafts to this awesome airport/museum. ...(SEE SCREENSHOTS (http://cid-5767b5043a940b22.skydrive.live.com/play.aspx/42VA?ref=1)).
I have a mate who is not satisfied unless there is wall to wall AI occupying every parking space allowed by the AFCAD :) Each to his own...
Did you know your helo can easily play tag with all those oldies flying TNG?
Good way to hone your flingwing skills - and see the scenery!

TARPSBird
June 14th, 2009, 21:09
Flyboy,
Is that the ABC Corsair in your screenshots, and where can I get that VC-3 paint job?

Bomber_12th
June 14th, 2009, 23:03
EdGeneer Cox, if you are reading this, you are amongst my most favorite people at this moment. :)

Thank you for the heads up, Terry, otherwise I would have missed it. This is an aiport that I have desired for years, ever since the Military Aviation Museum set up shop at Virginia Beach. I have admired the architecture of the museum buildings, and the fact that it has a grass runway which can support B-25's and Catalina's. I'm definitely going to have to move my residence of warbird flying from Duxford to Virginia Beach, now.

For those that don't know that much about the museum, besides the modern museum buildings designed in an art deco manner, it also owns an original German hangar from WWII, and an original RAF control tower. Both in pieces right now, eventually they will be reconstructed to their former glory, on the airport grounds. Not currently flying at the museum, it has many unique and very rare restorations on-going throughout the world, including a Mig-3, a Kingfisher, a Japanese Tony, a Bf-109, an Fw-190, multiple P-38 wrecks, and more. They also have what will be the first, or one of the first airworthy Mosquitoes once complete.

Flyboy208
June 15th, 2009, 08:04
Flyboy,
Is that the ABC Corsair in your screenshots, and where can I get that VC-3 paint job?

You are correct, the Alpha Bleu Ciel Corsair, repaint is part of a photoreal pack by Yago 9 available here at the SOH ...

vought_corsair_f4u__pk.zip

Dangerousdave26
June 15th, 2009, 08:31
You are correct, the Alpha Bleu Ciel Corsair, repaint is part of a photoreal pack by Yago 9 available here at the SOH ...

vought_corsair_f4u__pk.zip

If I remeber correctly they modified the mdl for Yago so he could do those paint jobs. Great Paint Jobs and a Great model...

Now back on topic

Thanks Terry this is a nice scenery and Thanks EdGeneer Cox for some excellant work.

middle
June 15th, 2009, 11:01
Willy, how'd ya get the hanger doors open?

Flyboy208
June 15th, 2009, 12:36

I think you have to tune a specific radio frequency?

Mike :isadizzy:

Sarge
June 15th, 2009, 13:09

It's right there in the Readme.txt file... :isadizzy:

Dangerousdave26
June 15th, 2009, 13:11

Tune nav1 to 110.05 to open door one

Tune nav2 to 110.05 to open door two

Tune your ADF to 425.0 for the surprise :icon_lol:

Wait all three take some time to work. In the beginning I thought the doors would never open but they must have just been looking for the Keys.

Dave

Sarge
June 15th, 2009, 14:02
Tune your ADF to 425.0 for the surprise

With the exception of Christmas looking lights, on the bushes in front of the building, I don't see any other surprises.:monkies: Is that the surprise? :isadizzy:

Sarge
June 15th, 2009, 15:45
Did you know your helo can easily play tag with all those oldies flying TNG? Good way to hone your flingwing skills - and see the scenery!

You and Flyboy208 just gave me an idea. I added one of Lt. Finney's helipad's & a Corsair to this scenery...SEE SLIDESHOW (http://cid-5767b5043a940b22.skydrive.live.com/play.aspx/42VA-II?ref=1) :pop4:

Flyboy208
June 15th, 2009, 16:04
Can't get enough of this little airport!

More shots to share ...

Mike :wavey:

Sarge
June 15th, 2009, 16:07
Can't get enough of this little airport!

Me neither! :gameon: Awesome screenies...Thanks! :ernae:

Flyboy208
June 15th, 2009, 16:07
10 more ...

Sarge
June 15th, 2009, 18:07
Okay Flyboy208...This means WAR! :gameon: I'm sending in my heavy hitters! :bump: Big "E" (CVN65) 15.4 NM's off the Virginia Beach Airport/Museum (42VA) coastline...How ya like them apples!? :USA-flag:

SCREENSHOTS (http://cid-5767b5043a940b22.skydrive.live.com/play.aspx/CVN65-42VA?ref=1) :pop4:

middle
June 16th, 2009, 01:42
Thanks, Dave.....I don't know why I asked Willy....I :isadizzy:must be haloosinatin'......

PhantomP
June 16th, 2009, 02:12
Sarge where dya get that heli that'a a nice one.:ernae:

Terry
June 16th, 2009, 03:46
This a Google Earth photo of 42VA taken Feb. 2007. Appears to have been construction going on judging from what is probably concrete dust across the parking lot and out the driveway. The scenery certainly looks accurate.

Sarge
June 16th, 2009, 05:43
Sarge where dya get that heli that'a a nice one.:ernae:
Which one are you referring too?

Bomber_12th
June 16th, 2009, 08:49
If you have the IRIS P-40, I did a repaint of the Fighter Factory/Military Aviation Museum P-40E, which is actually painted in accurate AVG markings as compared to many other flying P-40's, as part of a larger pack of repaints I did a few years ago:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=7524

falcon409
June 17th, 2009, 09:09
Here are a few shots from ground level. . .blurry, but you can see the hangars and in one shot, even the fountain out by the entrance. Nice job I'd say.

stansdds
June 18th, 2009, 02:09
I tried it in FSX and sure enough, the "read me" didn't lie. Transparency doesn't work correctly and the field and nearby road don't line up perfectly with those in the FSX world. I'd sure like to see this made for FSX.:bump:

salt_air
June 18th, 2009, 16:40
Looks great! I wish this was available for FSX.

Ed did a fantastic job on this scenery and he has some other files uploaded at FlightSim as well. Just type his name in the search box. All first class work.

Should be a FSX version out soon, just need to convert some of the files to what FSX will read and display.

Anyone of ya that has the chance should go and see the "working" collection of warbirds and military equipment that is on display.

The museum there houses the only known working "Buzz Bomb" left on the planet. The model at the Smithsonian is plywood. The whole collection is huge and this facility can only house a part of it at a time. Currently trying to salvage two working P-38's from seven that have been recovered.

Also there will be construction starting next month that will more than triple the facility with hangers for specific types of aircraft. The Fighter Factory will relocate here. They also have on site a disassembled WW II RAF tower to set up for use at shows. Ed says that there will be an update when they get done.

Should be an on-line event with the MPA group at FlightSim in September. Of course everyone is invited. I'll make a post in the Multiplayer forum here to confirm time and date.

http://www.fighterfactory.com/airport/index.php

Click all the links, this place is a real treasure if you like warbirds,,,,,not just US either.

Bomber_12th
June 18th, 2009, 17:07
Thanks for the information, Salt_Air, it will be awesome to have it in FSX, as that is what I most commonly use out of necessity these days.

The museum had its first ever air show at the new facility last month, and you can view multiple videos on Youtube of the event and of regular operations there. I can't wait to see the many different warbirds, flying state-side, that the museum currently has under restoration - the Mosquito will of course be a huge attraction once completed.

stansdds
June 19th, 2009, 02:28
Ed did a fantastic job on this scenery and he has some other files uploaded at FlightSim as well. Just type his name in the search box. All first class work.

Should be a FSX version out soon, just need to convert some of the files to what FSX will read and display.

Woohoo! http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/stansdds/Smilies/dancinguy.gif

EdGeneer
June 19th, 2009, 19:17
Greetings all, I must say, I am quite flattered by the response to the scenery... I do appreciate you all downloading it, and I hope you all enjoy it. Austin, (salt_air) is the brainchild behind the scenery. He lives close by and felt we should do some justice to it. He did the ground work and runnin' to get the images for the photoreal textures. The folks at the museum there were more than gracious to let us take ppictures and do their scnenery in fs2004, so, we should thank them as well....

As for the scenery getting into fsx, its coming.... there are some snaggs to work out, mainly the action of getting the runway edge buttons into fsx without using a high polygon count to achive this... im working on this... the trees are the other thing, and i think it will come into fsx without alot of the autogen rebuild etc, so the main snag is the buttons...

Terry gave me a fix to get the afcad to accept ai, i didnt put one in because the default afcad made polys out of grass that were unsightly, but he had a fix, so that is addressed, but the main thing i see is folks want to see it for fsx, so its comin'

again, i do appreciate you alls downloading it, i am suprised at the response to it, and am glad people are enjoying it.

as for salt_air saying my other scenery is top_notch and you all should download it, he exaggerates.... it sux.... KGFL, btw, IS in rework in gmax (because it desperately needs it) to hopefully come up with something that is respectable.... that is coming and should be usefull for fs9 and fsx.... (5B2 after that)

Like salt_air also said, they are making constant builds to the airport at 42VA, so we will be making updates accdordingly to keep up with the additions... you all should see what they are planning to do to this field... we hope to keep the updates respectively...

Thanks again for all the wonderfull things you all said about this scenery, i do appreciate you all downlading it, and hope you enjoy it.... you all are making my head big, i just hope it has an equal effect on making my stomach and *ss smaller (grin)

Take Care, and Happy flying....

Dangerousdave26
June 19th, 2009, 19:21
Welcome to the Outhouse Ed :icon29:

EdGeneer
June 21st, 2009, 17:46
Thanks Dave :)

Cazzie
June 21st, 2009, 17:51
It's a super place gang. The Fighter Factory now operates out of that airfield. Their shops are still at Suffolk Municipal, but the completed hardware are at VB. Super job. A must have.

I tried it in FSX, all was great but the trees, had to remove it. I have a personal friend that works for The Fighter Factory, I have to drop in every time I go to VB.

Caz

EdGeneer
June 22nd, 2009, 11:34
ok, thats it.... i got the next two days off... gunna try to work with salt_air on a version for fsx :)

it seems there is a demand for it to 'fly' in x....

my computer isnt fast enough to enjoy fsx, so i have it but barely use it and i am not familiar enough with fsx to use it much at all... the fps just are terrible and to get them respectable i have to make everything look terrible....

so... my plan is to make a fsx version, the only thing going to suffer is the trees, the tree lines may not look the same... most other 'bad' showing objects 'should' have a working counterpart for fsx, its the 'rotate to user' function that doesnt work in fsx, so, ill find a way around it...

so, ill get something working so the folks with fsx can enjoy it. Im suprised at its response, so lemme get soemthing jammin for you fsx folks :)

:running:

Terry
June 22nd, 2009, 12:36
I like the pond, decided to put it to some use.

EdGeneer
June 22nd, 2009, 17:28
Looks fun Terry :)

Well, all, scratch the fsx version.... i am going to make the scenery minus all that doesnt work in fsx... appologies, but i spent the entire afternoon finding out that ms as usual, punched developers in the face once more and changed everything...

i have run into roadblock after roadblock trying to figure out how to do this, and short of completely redoing it over again, i am finding out that adjusting this for fsx is a daunting task....

so, i am deleting all that doesnt show propperly in fsx, whixh is all trees and bushes and some of the bushes were done in gmax, and they STILL dont show propperly, so... im delelting all that doesnt show propperly and making a version with objects only...

appologies, but its too muh work to make a version for fsx that doesnt look like crap... and i have my doubts that even the objects arent going to x-fer without problems....

ill let you fellas know if there is something worth downloading for ya :)

EdGeneer
June 22nd, 2009, 18:16
Well, I appologize.... No fsx version.... nothing looks good at all... everything needs a complete remake for fsx.... and since i cant get fsx to work well at all on my computer, i have to backdoor it to get sp2 to even run, i cant do it...

Im sorry, thanks for those that downloaded it for fs9, appologies for those that fly fsx. It must be redone from the ground up to look good in fsx.

Im sorry....