PDA

View Full Version : Question for you TV aces

hey_moe
June 12th, 2009, 02:58
While walking on the treadmill I get the dreaded motor inference while watching TV. This is a DC motor on the treadmill, plugged into a 110 outlet. I get it has a step down transformer. Anyway, even when I ran an extension cord to another part of the house ( different circuit ) I still had some inference. I did a Google search for some type of filter to stop this, but couldn't find one that would really stop this.....any of you guys got any expertize or suggestions to prevent this.

Ickie
June 12th, 2009, 03:14
does it (the tredmill) have an external transformer??
In my studio I use to get this damm noise and finally did away with all things with an external transformer. Now all my recordings are noise free. I have always noticed them transformers voltages are never correct. 12 volts should be 12 volts not 17.5 volts, or worse 8.3 volts. lol.
And if you see made in China, you'd been had.

Terry
June 12th, 2009, 04:04
You need an isolation transformer to block the noise.

http://www.elect-spec.com/iso.htm

hey_moe
June 12th, 2009, 14:11
A 5 amp one cost over a grand...chet before I do that I will run a seperate line to the pole and install a step down transformer. Ickie...now this is just a standard treadmill...I like the ones with the DC motors because they are made to last and are quite.

TARPSBird
June 12th, 2009, 15:17
Moe, I posted the details of your problem over at my model RR forum. There are a lot of electrical gurus there so I should have some suggestions for ya. :)

hey_moe
June 12th, 2009, 16:35
Thanks TB....I know is sounds stupid but it really bugs me while I am running to see the interference. I brought a nice HD TV to watch the News and stuff while I am working out and now this...Mike
Moe, I posted the details of your problem over at my model RR forum. There are a lot of electrical gurus there so I should have some suggestions for ya. :)

TARPSBird
June 13th, 2009, 06:01
Moe,
This might help you. One guy on my RR forum is into home automation using the X10 remote control system. X10 uses house wiring as a signal carrier for RC commands to lamps, appliances, etc. He suggested this "noise" filter (see link below). Noise in this context refers to the treadmill motor interference that's going back out on the house wiring which I think is the source of your problem. 15 amps is the normal current rating on a wall outlet circuit.
http://www.smarthome.com/4845ACF/15-Amp-Plug-In-Noise-Filter-AF120/p.aspx
$30 ain't bad if it gets ya good to go. :) Ickie may want to make some input here, I defer to him on the tech stuff.

hey_moe
June 13th, 2009, 11:48
Thanks TB, I'll order one and get back to ya. I had already emailed them a couple of days ago asking about this but they never responded.

hey_moe
June 17th, 2009, 15:33
TB...I got it in today and plugged it up...works like a champ....picture is crystal clear now...me a happy camper :jump:

TARPSBird
June 17th, 2009, 15:44
My work here is done. :)
Thanks for the feedback Moe, I'll pass it on to my RR forum guy who made the original suggestion.