PDA

View Full Version : Success, finally!

mariereid
June 10th, 2009, 10:18
I would like to announce, after about a year of messing around with everything set to easy, and using "x", instead of landing like a man, I have made my 1st carrier landing, with "overall realism" set to 100%. Thank you, Thank you. When that cable brought me to a fairly gentle stop, it was better than...well, many of life`s great feelings!

Dirtman
June 10th, 2009, 10:58
Congratulations!

Now start landing without using that "sissy" tail hook!

PomBee
June 10th, 2009, 11:01
It does give you a great sense of achievement, doesn't it? The one carrier landing that I still haven't achieved at anywhere near 100% realism is "doing a 46 Sqn" and landing an un-hooked Hurricane MkI on a carrier!!
I don't think that I'll be managing it anytime soon.

Cheers,

PomBee.:ernae:

Bill Kestell
June 10th, 2009, 11:38
:ernae: THAT'S:ernae: THE :ernae:TICKET! :ernae:

mariereid
June 10th, 2009, 13:36
And another one. Jeez, I`m surprised the tail didn`t rip off. It took me 1/2 hour of flying around, before everything was right. So far I have mastered level flight, but when your all trimed up, you can go to the can, and your trusty steed will still be going strong. The boss says enough flying for 1 day. Thanks for all the tips, boys!

Shadow Wolf 07
June 10th, 2009, 15:19
Congrats M8!!

bearcat241
June 10th, 2009, 15:43
:icon29:

But just out of curiosity mariereid, have you ever tried using the carrier landing training in the Training Mode? Its so easy, a caveman....:icon_lol:

Collin
June 10th, 2009, 15:53
It does give you a great sense of achievement, doesn't it? The one carrier landing that I still haven't achieved at anywhere near 100% realism is "doing a 46 Sqn" and landing an un-hooked Hurricane MkI on a carrier!!
I don't think that I'll be managing it anytime soon.

Cheers,

PomBee.:ernae:

Dats cos the silly bu*%*$ had 50lb's of sandbags in the tail so they could get back onboard.

regards Collin:ernae:

mariereid
June 11th, 2009, 06:28
Bearcat 241, I just recently started to "fly". I was playing a shoot `em up game in the easiest mode. I just "x " waypoint to waypoint, until I found something to shoot or bomb, then press x to land. I had no intention of landing on a carrier. Even in easy mode in traing mission. Of course, this got old. 1 day I thought I`d try to fly in a more realistic manner. Well, sir, got me some pedals and throttle quad, set everything to 100%,printed off F4F procedures, and entered flight school. It`s much more enjoyable now. I use the single mission carrier take off and landing. I am not adding scenery, missions, or looking for the enemy, until I can pull off all the fancy moves. Man, the war may be over by then! Thanks SOH members, because without your kind help, and info, I might still be X-ing my way around. Even without the downloads, this is a great place to spend time.

Shadow Wolf 07
June 11th, 2009, 10:07
If you want extra challenge, open the cfg file in your carrier's ship folder. Scroll down to the bottom and change the entry:

[Dynamics]
pitch_wave_moment_scale = 1
bank_wave_moment_scale = 1
pitch_damp_moment_scale = 1
bank_damp_moment_scale = 1

to...

[Dynamics]
pitch_wave_moment_scale = -2
bank_wave_moment_scale = 4
pitch_damp_moment_scale = 1
bank_damp_moment_scale = 1

That will give you more pitch and roll to deal with. Also, if you have CFO Weather, when the game starts hit alt and in the menu above go to CFO/Time and weather and change yo dusk or dawn to get a landing in minimal light conditions.

mariereid
June 11th, 2009, 10:31
I was just messing about with the winds in the time and weather section. I was back at land bases. More problems to deal with! I`ll give your pitch & roll a try. Can I do this to the carrier(Essex), and have it work in the single mission? I have ActiveSky wxre, not installed, still trying to figure it out, I got enough to keep me busy as it is. thanks

Shadow Wolf 07
June 11th, 2009, 10:45
...I`ll give your pitch & roll a try. Can I do this to the carrier(Essex), and have it work in the single mission? I have ActiveSky wxre, not installed, still trying to figure it out, I got enough to keep me busy as it is. thanks

Yes, you can add that mod to any ship. Try it with Collin's jeep carrier - see video: http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j220/Pechora07/?action=view&current=PitchnRoll2.flv

:ernae:

mariereid
June 11th, 2009, 13:39
Everything about that video is amazing! I don`t know if I could walk across the deck, forget gettin` in the plane! Reminds me of my 1st day at sea, everyone was sick. Can`t you guys let a fella enjoy what he thought was a major event? I`ll try messing with the ships file, first. It may be a lot of fun TRYING to take off and land on that little fart of a carrier. I have so much to learn!