PDA

View Full Version : A little piece of history...

Wittpilot
June 7th, 2009, 18:14
Was at my folks house when I remembered that there was this little article in my old bedroom... It being June 6, I thought I would unfold it once again...

This flag was one of two flags set upon Utah Beach June 6th 1944.... My great uncle was on one of the first landing craft on the beach that day. He raised one flag when they hit, took that down after several hours, and raised another... This is one of them...the other is located in the 390th Memorial Museum in Tucson...

-adam

Althought tattered, burnt, gunshot..... She is a beautiful sight still to this day...

Smashing Time
June 7th, 2009, 18:27
Thanks,
Unfortunately most kids today what would say "I didn't know there were any beaches in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Utah</st1:place></st1:State>?"
:kilroy:

AckAck
June 7th, 2009, 18:47
Oh, you're kidding - ALL of Utah is a beach. There is just no water.

:medals:

Brian

(I thought there was a saluting smilie in here somewhere, but I can't find it) :USA-flag:

Joe P
June 7th, 2009, 19:26
Most kids wouldn't realize there is only 48 stars on the flag at that time either.

Panther_99FS
June 7th, 2009, 19:45
Most kids wouldn't realize there is only 48 stars on the flag at that time either.

:monkies:

And Witt,....:medals:

Snuffy
June 8th, 2009, 03:00
Nice historical marker! Very valuable too I'm sure. :ernae:

GT182
June 8th, 2009, 04:26
Great piece of history Witt. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/GT182/sigpic336_1.gif

I too have a 48 star flag that came out of Air Transport Command here at KILG. I sure wish I knew it's history. I can only dream that it came from either the European or Pacific Theaters of WWII. There was no history of it and the place or places it has been.

OT.....
I'm back from MAAM and will post photos, in another thread, once I get them transferred to my computer later on. I'm beat. I can tell you I touched pieces of history this past weekend. And yes, off in my little out of the way corner, I cried for those who've past on and those still living from that era. Gob bless them all. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/GT182/sigpic336_1.gif

Lionheart
June 8th, 2009, 06:38
Thats one awesome bit of history there Witt. Thanks for sharing.

:applause: :medals: :applause:

Bill