PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Firm set to buy Hummer

Odie
June 2nd, 2009, 10:51
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-phillydeals/China_firm_to_buy_GMs_Hummer_for_500M_report.html

6297J
June 2nd, 2009, 11:06
This should please a certain ex Marine :icon_lol:

Rami
June 2nd, 2009, 11:13
Not the right thing to say...I'm :censored: myself.

wombat666
June 2nd, 2009, 11:44
This should please a certain ex Marine :icon_lol:

:173go1:

cheezyflier
June 2nd, 2009, 12:02
hey, why not? they already hold huge loans that post chunks of america as collateral. if they were to call in their markers, some of you would be living in a communist country.

OBIO
June 2nd, 2009, 12:10
Hummer is the line of super expensive SUVs that GM sells to very rich people who will never get their vehicles dirty....could care less who owns the right to produce them.

The HUMVEE is a totally different vehicle and not produced by Hummer or any part of GM. The HUMVEE is produced by AM General, which is not part of GM.

AM General is owned by LTV Aerospace and Defense Company. AM General sold GM the right to use the Hummer name on their SUVs and builds the Hummer and Hummer 2 for GM (the Hummer 3 is built on GM truck production lines).

Under federal law, no defense contractor can be owned by a foreign company. Thus the Humvee will never be built by the Chinese, Canadians, French, Umpalumpas or anyone other than Americans in an American owned plant.

OBIO

stiz
June 2nd, 2009, 12:26
Thus the Humvee will never be built by the ... Umpalumpas

Anyone else smileing at the image of bright orange little men in a humvee? :icon_lol:

6297J
June 2nd, 2009, 12:48
Oompa, Loompa, doom-pa-dee-do
I have another puzzle for you
Oompa, Loompa, doom-pa-da-dee
If you are wise, you'll listen to me

What do you get when you drive a Humvee?
A pain in the neck and an IQ of three
Why don't you try simply driving a Ford?
Or one of those nice new Honda Accords?

stiz
June 2nd, 2009, 13:10
:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Henry
June 2nd, 2009, 13:39
Sadly the hummers are made here in Shreveport
or at least some
i have some good friends who are about to join me
in the ranks of the unemployed
even if they keep the factory open
the management will not be employed
H

fliger747
June 2nd, 2009, 13:58
There are many quite capable off road vehicles that are not gotten dirty by their owners. One of my past persuits on vacation time was to explore back "roads" and trails of the US Desert Southwest. Usually via land crusher or sometimes seeing if I could get a camper van through axle deep mud (it does rain in the desert) without getting stuck.

My understanding is that the real deal HUMVEE is a very capable off road vehicle, if sometimes a bit large for manuvering in the tight locations that these trails contain. The "Hummer" is acording to the "word" a reasonably good vehicle at such things despite it's more frequent employment as an "Urban Assualt Vehicle". An employment shared by the majority of it's style mates. These vehicles keep some of their alure because some people do use them at the edge of the design envelope. Without the folks wanting this association the number of machines would not be produced for the real users to have one!

Good luck to you henry, and your friends! Tom

Cazzie
June 2nd, 2009, 17:19
Yeah, perhaps the Taliban and Al Queda will be able to get Hummers in lieu of Nissans now.

I can't get political here. But I shall offer you a profound revelation from an eleven year old.

On the way back from a fifth grade field trip last May, my youngest son was asked by his friend Brianna what he was going to be when he grew up. Without hesitation, Arden answered, "I'm going to be Chinese!"

Caz

GT182
June 2nd, 2009, 17:39
Ouch. :kilroy:

Henry
June 2nd, 2009, 17:43
Yeah, perhaps the Taliban and Al Queda will be able to get Hummers in lieu of Nissans now.

I can't get political here. But I shall offer you a profound revelation from an eleven year old.

On the way back from a fifth grade field trip last May, my youngest son was asked by his friend Brianna what he was going to be when he grew up. Without hesitation, Arden answered, "I'm going to be Chinese!"

Cazyou better start saving for chopsticks
LOL
H

cheezyflier
June 2nd, 2009, 20:25

Caz

apparently, he understood what i was talking about in post # 5 :icon_lol:

GT182
June 3rd, 2009, 05:56
Does that mean all of China will now Hummmmm? :bump:

I know... :173go1: I couldn't help it. If it wasn't me someone else would have said it sooner or later. ;)

Odie
June 3rd, 2009, 06:13
Yesterday afternoon on the news, I heard that the Chinese firm that will buy Hummer will retain GM as a sub-contractor to build them as well as retaining 3,000 employees and management.

Henry, so maybe your friend might not be out on the street and S'port will keep the plant running.

Henry
June 3rd, 2009, 06:56
Yesterday afternoon on the news, I heard that the Chinese firm that will buy Hummer will retain GM as a sub-contractor to build them as well as retaining 3,000 employees and management.

Henry, so maybe your friend might not be out on the street and S'port will keep the plant running.
I heard that also
at least until 2010
H

wombat666
June 3rd, 2009, 07:50
I know... :173go1: I couldn't help it. If it wasn't me someone else would have said it sooner or later. ;)

I kid you not GT, a very large part really does!!!!
Especially where the use of 'night soil' in agriculture is normal ......:pop4:

Cazzie
June 3rd, 2009, 08:16
Well, I heard the Chinese thought it was some sort of sexual simulator when they purchased the company! :icon_lol:

Actually, the Hummer brand vehicles that GM is selling off are based on the Chevy Silverado and Colorado trucks. The military Humvee is build by AM General which is owned by The Renco Group, Inc.

AM General built the Hummer H1 (no longer in production) and builds the Hummer H2 which was designed by GM (it is based on the Silverado). GM has exclusive rights to the brand, but they do not own AM General.

Interestingly, the Hummer H3 (based on the Colorado) is built by GM.

Although the H2 (and H3) could be used as military vehicles, they're basically the same as the Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Sierra, Yukon, Avalanche, and Escalade under the skin. The H3 is the same as the Colorado and Canyon.

The only thing the Chinese would get is the manufacturing technology, if they move that over to China. It'll be interesting to see what they decide to do for engines and drive trains as the existing vehicles are all existing GM products. It would seem to be a logistical nightmare for parts supply if they decided to build them in China. All the tooling and manufacturing are in existing GM plants or suppliers and I think that GM will keep that as they build more Chevys, GMCs and Cadillacs than they do Hummers.

Caz

Cazzie
June 3rd, 2009, 08:21
apparently, he understood what i was talking about in post # 5 :icon_lol:

Well, he'll tell you every toy he's ever owned was made there! :icon_lol:

I'm afraid they own the gun; lock, stock, and barrel!

Caz

Lionheart
June 3rd, 2009, 11:17
That would be nice if they can keep our people imployed at least for a while.

I hope your friends make it through this ordeal Henry.

I remember working for Range Rover (Land Rover) and hearing one Monday morning that BMW had officially taken us over. What an odd feeling that was. Taken over by a competitor. Its like your ship being boarded and a new flag is hoisted up. It might be gentlemanly and all, official and proper, but its a new captain, a new country, a new flag, and new ways of doing things....

I hope the people at Hummer endure.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, are they still building Range Rovers at Sullihul?

Bill

gera
June 3rd, 2009, 12:37
I am humble to see, how many do not see, the penetration of China in America!...not only North America. To those like me who like to study history, specially, Political History of the 19th and 20th Century, I find Chinese movement into America a case study in "Strategic long range" plans developing rather well. They have now entered probably a phase before the last......check it out, Americans both from upstairs and downstairs might be talking Mandarin by the end of this Century and eating Roast Duck on a regular basis (the last part is OK).:sleep::sleep:

cheezyflier
June 3rd, 2009, 15:34
well, this is one american that sees it. many turn a blind eye. it's why i said earlier that things are already in the toilet. the fat lady is practicing her scales. she 's about to sing.

Cazzie
June 3rd, 2009, 16:32
As I have jokingly said the past five years, we should make Mandarin Chinese our compulsory second language taught in schools. It seems my prophesy will come back to haunt me.

Oh well, they say the Chinese do like a good beer and though I do not smoke, they at least give their people a choice. And friends, choice is freedom. When a government starts making your choices for you, you are no longer free.

Caz

Lionheart
June 3rd, 2009, 18:52
As I have jokingly said the past five years, we should make Mandarin Chinese our compulsory second language taught in schools. It seems my prophesy will come back to haunt me.

Oh well, they say the Chinese do like a good beer and though I do not smoke, they at least give their people a choice. And friends, choice is freedom. When a government starts making your choices for you, you are no longer free.

Caz

Amen

MyassisDragon
June 3rd, 2009, 22:54
At the rate we are going, I'm afraid history may prove ol' Lenin correct when he said: Capitalists will gladly sell us the very rope used to hang them."

FengZ
June 4th, 2009, 00:19
I started a game-development company in China for the same reason. The cost of doing things in the States is so high. It's not just in salary, but also because lot of employees tend to be slow due to the fact that they are so used to their jobs - they slow down and get jaded. As a result, high paid employees are costing you even more. In Asia, everyone is so hungry for a high-paid job, that they work super hard (and trust me, my studio is NOT a sweat-shop...it's run just like a US studio in an awesome location and office, but we are way more efficient). I hope i'm offending anyone, but this is just my personal observation. I employee over 60 artists, programmers, etc in Beijing, and they are some of the best i've worked with in the industry.

The downside is that they are not super experienced. However, this can be solved by hiring experienced US staff as leads and shifting them to China (most of my leads are US or "western" people).

You can do the exact same thing (game dev) in China for 1/3 the cost (it's not 1/10th as some think). For a founder who has to write huge checks, this totally makes sense to me. Why risk your own money in the States, when i can place the same bet at 1/3 cost?

For me, it's really about survival. The US is very powerful and i love it (born and raised out of Los Angeles), but countries like China are catching up quick. In fact, i love Asia so much now that i started another company in Singapore. My wife has moved to Singapore as well, and loves it here.

ps. And the thing about learning to speak chinese...it's dead on! Right now, i will hire a western manager on the spot if they can speak chinese and english. I'm always trying to tell my friends in the States to come to Asia. There are so many jobs here, and they pay the same or even higher than the States. The downside is that you need to speak the language...

-feng

FengZ
June 4th, 2009, 00:49
A followup to my own post. Asia in general is actually an awesome place to work. It's not the bicycle riding, villages, etc. typically portrayed by the media. It is far-far-far more advanced than any city in the States. This is why i keep telling my friends to come to Asia.

The quality of life/office is so good in Asia. For example, here's my Beijing studio (designed the whole place myself). Beautiful construction and execution by the contractors:

http://www.fengzhudesign.com/fs2004/ps_office_moved_in_02.JPG

http://www.fengzhudesign.com/fs2004/ps_office_moved_in_03.JPG

http://www.fengzhudesign.com/fs2004/ps_office_moved_in_04.JPG

A 60-seat movie theater...great for XBOX games! hehe

http://www.fengzhudesign.com/fs2004/ps_office_moved_in_07.JPG

our location...smack in the middle of the CBD (central business district)...best location in Beijing.

http://www.fengzhudesign.com/fs2004/ps_office2_09.JPG

and my new Singapore studio (also custom built)

http://www.fengzhudesign.com/fs2004/img_0019.jpg

http://www.fengzhudesign.com/fs2004/img_0017.jpg

-feng

Cazzie
June 4th, 2009, 01:45
Ah, the joys of living in a homogeneous society FengZ. America is much too fractured, especially her cities. There are even castes within the so many various racial undertones. To be free in America these days, you have to be an independent with enough money to just move away from it all. And thanks be to whatever Cosmic Muffin for that, I did!

Caz

FengZ
June 4th, 2009, 02:48
Ah, the joys of living in a homogeneous society FengZ. America is much too fractured, especially her cities. There are even castes within the so many various racial undertones. To be free in America these days, you have to be an independent with enough money to just move away from it all. And thanks be to whatever Cosmic Muffin for that, I did!

Caz

Yup, everytime i go to the States, i feel like it's no longer a free country, but a police state. It's so scary to do anything there now. Big brother is watching everything...maybe cuz it's LA? haha...

Just look at the experience they put you through at airports. I love seeing millionairs in first class stripped down to their socks and body-searched....what kind of service is that when they are paying 15k tickets?! They treat everyone like criminals.

I still love the States, but most expats who has spent a great amount of time recently in Asia will all say the same thing: The US is behind the times and moving away from a democratic state. No wonder a lot of businesses are dying or moving to Asia.

The US has been too comforable for a long time, and when you get comfotable, you relax and forget to move forward. It's the classic Turtle vs Hare race...

-feng

Panther_99FS
June 4th, 2009, 05:40
:wavey::wavey::wavey:

Lewis-A2A
June 4th, 2009, 06:19

I dont know but the legend is that if all chinamen jumped at the same time the resulting wave would destory the US.

Lionheart
June 4th, 2009, 06:28
Thanks Feng for sharing. Awesome offices!

I thought you were one artist, not an army of talent.

I have heard many great things about the orient in their levels of technology. One thing was how they have integrated the cell phone into all bills and purchasing. All of your power, water, etc, are paid via your cell phone, and this was several years ago. I wonder what they are into now.

Speaking of police states.. Phoenix Arizona is hurrendous. Its horrible and bad enough that I want to move, but to where? There are these police speeding cameras every several miles, four cameras and sensors. Instant $200.00. (If you are behind a gravel truck and wish to pass, think again. $200.00 penalty for that). They also have mobile units that go out and do the same thing, to catch people off guard. Sure they put up a sign, about 20 feet from their truck. Saw one 2 nights ago like that. They are making millions upon millions on that, and off of people that can barely make that a week in salary, which means 2 tickets in a month and they might as well file bankruptcy.

And DUI's.. It seems that they do everything that they can to incriminate ANYONE on this. Medications? gone.... You get three tickets in one stop.

Total police state. (Now you know why Janet Laponitanno is in charge of homeland security.. She ran Arizona.. Land of pink underwear, prisons, photo cop troll vending machines...)

steps down from soap box. I hope that is not political. Just tired of photo radar.

Bill

FengZ
June 4th, 2009, 06:55
Thanks Feng for sharing. Awesome offices!

I thought you were one artist, not an army of talent.

I have heard many great things about the orient in their levels of technology. One thing was how they have integrated the cell phone into all bills and purchasing. All of your power, water, etc, are paid via your cell phone, and this was several years ago. I wonder what they are into now.

Bill

hehe, i still do a lot of the major design work myself, but i'm moving away from "one person" design to "our studio can handle all your pre-production needs."

yup, the level of automation is pretty cool in Asia. Everything is digital through either cell-phones or pre-paid cards. You never get bills in the mail (in fact, i only check my mail box maybe once a month...there are just no paper-bills). You pay as you go in Asia...so if u missed a payment, then the phone will stop working...etc. This prevents people from living on credit, and you never had to worry about late fees. I love this business model. The US is ALL about living on borrowed money, and look what has happend; people buy stuff they can't afford.

Asia isn't perfect; there are still a lot of dumb stuff and problems. But right now, at my current career path, it is far superior than the US.

-feng

gera
June 4th, 2009, 07:54
FengZ...Congratulations Man, great job you doing with your company...you said:

"Just look at the experience they put you through at airports. I love seeing millionairs in first class stripped down to their socks and body-searched....what kind of service is that when they are paying 15k tickets?! They treat everyone like criminals."

Due to this fact in Miami, Houston, Newark and other airports which are entry and "transit points" for many Latin Americans traveling to Europe and Asia--You get searched as a common criminal Even if you are going to catch another flight going to Timbaktu or wherever, without even leaving the transfer saloon!!!!!!!---are now Flying direct!!!!...I go to Italy every year and for many I had to suffer this totally criminal search....But gladly for the last two years I fly either Iberia or KLM which have flights direct from here to Europe. Airlines realized that they had to do this for they were loosing tickets going through these airports...Oh yea, and you have to have a US VIsa even for Transit only....US Visa at "discount" (joke) costs US $ 200.00 now!!!!!!!......The US Goverment is killing the chicken of the golden eggs slowly but surely!!!!.............Change???, what change, the one in your pockets for the bus???:kilroy::kilroy::kilroy::kilroy:

FengZ
June 4th, 2009, 09:17
FengZ...Congratulations Man, great job you doing with your company...you said:

"Just look at the experience they put you through at airports. I love seeing millionairs in first class stripped down to their socks and body-searched....what kind of service is that when they are paying 15k tickets?! They treat everyone like criminals."

Due to this fact in Miami, Houston, Newark and other airports which are entry and "transit points" for many Latin Americans traveling to Europe and Asia--You get searched as a common criminal Even if you are going to catch another flight going to Timbaktu or wherever, without even leaving the transfer saloon!!!!!!!---are now Flying direct!!!!...I go to Italy every year and for many I had to suffer this totally criminal search....But gladly for the last two years I fly either Iberia or KLM which have flights direct from here to Europe. Airlines realized that they had to do this for they were loosing tickets going through these airports...Oh yea, and you have to have a US VIsa even for Transit only....US Visa at "discount" (joke) costs US $ 200.00 now!!!!!!!......The US Goverment is killing the chicken of the golden eggs slowly but surely!!!!.............Change???, what change, the one in your pockets for the bus???:kilroy::kilroy::kilroy::kilroy:

man, that really sucks!! ....don't even get me started on airports and airlines in the US...hehe. I fly A LOT from Asia to the States...and have seen it all.

I try to avoid American carriers at all cost, even if i have to pay double for a non-American carrier.

Carriers such as Singapore Airlines, Emirates, and Asiana have got it right. Their service (especially in business class) is excellent. They treat you with respect the minute you step into the airport. For example, Singapore Airlines have completely different terminals for Business/First Class passengers (not just a differnet line; but a differnet section in the airport). It's top service all the way. It's hard to describe in words how good their services are...

In contrast, sometimes i get stuck flying UAL from Beijing to LA...oh man...the pain!!! The cabin crew up in the old 747 b-class are on the verge of retiring, cranky, and doesn't want to help you with anything. They are mean to the customers and treat everyone like a terroist. UAL really needs to hire some younger/prettier/handsome cabin crews....learn from Singapore Airlines...hehe (look up "watch?v=P5sGKR6NJBw" on youtube)....

-feng

cheezyflier
June 4th, 2009, 10:07
they definitely have cool uniforms.

on a barely related note (the asian tech thing) my wife and her family are all from osaka and they are always telling us about cool stuff they have there but somehow, we don't have over here.

Piglet
June 4th, 2009, 18:56
I Always HATED the H2's H3's and Escalades, and other so called high-end SUV types!:pop4: Why would anyone be dumb enough to pay twice as much for a thinly pimped up Suburban/Tahoe/Silverado??!
To me, there all SPV's (Small Penis Vehicle's)!
Twenty years ago, I worked in Tokyo for a awhile. Loved it!! Well, except for the no guns part, but the replica gun market held me thru! Really loved how they seemed to have model shops all over town like we have 7-11's.
Saw one the nicest SB2C Helldiver model on display there, along with F4F's, F4U's P-38's etc. So much for them "hating us" Thought Helldiver would like to know!:wavey:

Panther_99FS
June 4th, 2009, 19:16
Sadly the hummers are made here in Shreveport
or at least some

H

I was talking about this with someone in another unit today - sad about the job loss....:frown:

Willy
June 4th, 2009, 19:32
Last I heard they were making mid-sized pickups (S-10s) in Shreveport.

Snuffy
June 5th, 2009, 03:06

That's the frame that the colorado and the H3 use.

<edit> This just in on FOX ... Rest assured the Humvee is not part of the deal ... </edit>
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/06/04/army-military-versions-hummer-exlcuded-gm-sale/

Lionus
June 5th, 2009, 05:26
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8705/hummercrashsmalln.jpg

2010 Hummer safety demonstration.

"Soon these cars will be Chinese, so don't sneeze if you're in one of these."

Yes, I know that it rhymes. :icon_lol:

Henry
June 5th, 2009, 05:27
They make both here
i should get more info this weekend
about whats actually happening
H

redriver6
June 5th, 2009, 06:51
Originally Posted by Willy http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/soh/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?p=185988#post185988)

They make both here
i should get more info this weekend
about whats actually happening
H

they make Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon pickups and the Hummer H3 SUV at the GM plant in Shreveport. The Colorado and Canyon are a totally new vehicle (2004) and have nothing in common with the S-10..(i should also add that they used to make the S-10 here until they started the Colorado/Canyon.)