PDA

View Full Version : Things to enhance CFS2 Experience...

jackedwardmorris95
June 1st, 2009, 07:47
Some stuff that I would like to have, just incase there is some of this out there somwhere:

USAF Bomber Radio chatter.
10 Parachutes come out of your A/C as opposed to 1.
Flak Textures.
Moving Turrets or turrets on your bomber are AI for Donationware B-17.
Damage modelling for Donationware B-17.

Just stuff I have been thinking about over the past few weeks.

Jack

erufle
June 3rd, 2009, 08:28
The bomber chatter is a very interesting idea. To one extent it may be easy to another extent it could be very difficult. The easy part is recording the chatter and getting it into the gvr files. The hard part is triggering the chatter when you want. You see, I have been working on an Italian radio chatter file with Dandolo 513 so I know a little about it. I have no idea how CFS2 triggers the radio chatter. If someone out there does know how this is done I wish they would enlighten us both. I suspect it is hard wired into the game and cannot be easily changed. However, I have found that CFS2 is not sensitive to deletions of the radio chatter gvr files. If you want to make this happen, here are my recommendations:

1. Go to: http://www.fly.to/mwgfx and download Martin Wright's SplitGVR utility. It is free.

2. It is simple to use but please read the @#*$ing manual (****, as we say at the outhouse).

3. Download a wave file editor such as Audacity. I do not have a link but it is easily found by searching the word audacity. It is also free.

4. Backup any radio soundfiles you chose to change. The radio chatter is in: Combat Flight Simulator 2/SOUND/radio.

5. Using SplitGVR, open up a gvr file and identify a chatter recording you wish to change. Pay attention to the size of the recording, the recording you decide to replace it with must be slightly smaller.

6. Make your new recording and add radio static which can be found in one of Franz von Baron's radio chatter packs at http://www.simviation.com/cfs2misc13.htm.

7. Edit the file for size by either cutting it down or reducing the quality of the recording (change the rate in Hz). Reducing the quality of the recording only adds realism. I do all of this with Audacity.

8. Use SplitGVR to insert the new recording and thats about it.

jackedwardmorris95
June 3rd, 2009, 12:27
The bomber chatter is a very interesting idea. To one extent it may be easy to another extent it could be very difficult. The easy part is recording the chatter and getting it into the gvr files. The hard part is triggering the chatter when you want. You see, I have been working on an Italian radio chatter file with Dandolo 513 so I know a little about it. I have no idea how CFS2 triggers the radio chatter. If someone out there does know how this is done I wish they would enlighten us both. I suspect it is hard wired into the game and cannot be easily changed. However, I have found that CFS2 is not sensitive to deletions of the radio chatter gvr files. If you want to make this happen, here are my recommendations:

Thanks I'll have a go, and update you on my progress,the trick is when you are my age and your voice has only just broken, speak into audacity, quite fast then slow it down. Another possibility is recording some sound files, going into mission builder, and triggering a sound clip when you complete a task, reach a waypoint etc...

Jack

p14u2nv
June 3rd, 2009, 14:07
I believe if you go in to the dp file of each aircraft and look under [MISC_DATA] change the crew number to how many crew members are in the aircraft and that should allow more chutes from each aircraft if the inevitable occurs.

It's been many many years but I believe that is correct for bombers ...anyone know another or correct way?

oldwheat
June 3rd, 2009, 18:13
I believe that the chutes are controlled by the "Exits" entry in the "aircraft".cfg file..

p14u2nv
June 4th, 2009, 09:05
Yes you are correct OW. I knew there was an entry but got it wrong so thanks for the correction.

Blondi
June 4th, 2009, 11:35
Yes Jack, Waypoints will work for sound clips made pretty much like Erufle suggest.I added radio chatter 4 or 5 years ago in one of my Coral sea mission packs . I also added Gunfire and artillary salvo's in the Aerocrate 1916 British campaign just like this also.

BLONDI:cost1:

Cody Coyote
June 4th, 2009, 14:07
I like using sound clips in missions as well.

Some of my favorite tricks are to using period Big Band music on long return flights in a bomber simulating homing in on a radio station; having a claxon blaring and the command "General Quarters, man your battle stations" playing over and over in the background as you start a carrier mission; and adding the sounds of anti-aircraft fire and bomb explosions to the beginning of a scramble mission where your base is under fire as the mission starts.

Interior bomber radio chatter would be a nice touch. I have simulated fighter chatter during a dogfight by plugging in a long sequence of the various canned radio clips, separating the individual sounds by varing times. It gives the impression of a hectic air battle where guys are calling out hits, etc.

The stock gvr sounds are nice of course since they require no effort on your part with the game inserting them as appropriate. But then you can't control when they play.

Using Martin Wright's wonderful Splitgvr tool you can extract a specific canned radio sound, save a copy and insert it in missions as described above. You can also add new tracks to the gvr files, but I don't know that anyone has figured out the exact mechanism for how CFS2 inserts the sounds. As I recall, it's the gvi file that appears to do that but the "how" is the question.

Jean Bomber
June 4th, 2009, 16:11
Hi all

In the cfs france http://cfsfrance.altajeux.com/
in "fichier / cfs2/ utillitaire" section there a list
sons de priorité cfs2 - utilisation (http://cfsfrance.altajeux.com/cgi/cgi_nuke/index.cgi?action=see_file&block=download&lang=fra&theme=fusion&id=616) made by missflight
,in french ,of the priority sound used in cfs2 each sound is listed with his reference and a traduction like this (extrait) :
"
USA
TO 37----OK, les gars! Abattez ces avions: nous devons lancer un autre raid.
TO 38----Bel essai. Second raid prêt au lancement.
TO 39----Home Plate à Leader: attendez vos nouveaux ordres de mission.
TO 40----Home plate à Leader: rentrez à la base immédiatement.
TO 41----Second objectif. Je répète: passez au second objectif.
TO 42----Base à Leader: des garde-côtes signalent un appareil ennemi approchant par le nord, à haute altitude.
etc.....

even the school training sound are listed .....
TR 027---Vous piquez!
TR 038---Votre train n'est pas sorti.
TR 039---Les volets ne sont pas sortis.
TR 041---Amenez l'appareil à cinq cents pieds et visez le milieu de la piste.
TR 044---Vous êtes trop haut
TR 045---Vous êtes trop bas.

JAPAN
JW 636----Ouah! Beau feu d'artifice!
JW 637----On dirait que notre porte-avions a écopé.
JW 638----Notre porte-avions a pris des coups.
JW 639----Nous sommes attaqués! Revenez le plus vite possible!
JW 640----J'ai eu un porte-avions!
JW 641----Suivons-le jusqu'à son navire.
JW 642----Alerte! Alerte! Des chasseurs ennemis approchent!
JW 643----Qu'attendez-vous? Allez! Bougez-vous!
.......etc .....

this list help to use them in the MB to make the mission with a traffic radio more real and intense and that sound could be associate with all the way points, events and diverse parameters speed altitude failure etc... of the mission .ex WP 2 or speed up to 100kps ...(event /action/ read sound JW 643 )
Does a List in english exist some where ? this could help to add more life for future missions

JP

Cody Coyote
June 4th, 2009, 17:43
Jean Bomber - I did an English translation of all of the stock sounds a few years ago. It allowed you to look up a sound file number (the one that displays in the Mission Builder) and see what it said without having to play the sound, a real time saver. The link is still here at the Outhouse but appears to be broken since the big crash.

If that is what you want let me know and I'll PM you (unless there is sufficient interest to upload it again).