PDA

View Full Version : portable AC unit?

Wulf190
May 31st, 2009, 21:12
Well its the first of June and summer's here (YAY!). My room mate is leaving the place for the summer and I have it all to my self, not a bad thing. But the thing that bites is that I have no AC. And the HOA does NOT allow a window AC unit. So I'm wondering, any good ideas on a portable AV unit? I have fans, but when there is only hot air out side and hot air inside; all that I'm blow is hot air.....

Lionheart
May 31st, 2009, 22:37
eeeeks!!

I know what its like and feel your pain. I live in Phoenix and the heat can literally be dangerous.

There was a new technology of AC unit that was quite inexpensive, selling for about $200.00+ american dollars. I cannot remember what its called, but will try to find out. Supposedly it does pretty good, but at such a cheap price, I am thinking its just a water cooler in a nice package.

I hope you find a way to keep cool. Horrible in the heat of the summer..

Bill

tigisfat
June 1st, 2009, 00:07
What's HOA?

edit: homeowners association?

cheezyflier
June 1st, 2009, 06:02
there are portable units, but they are big, expensive, and you have to regularly empty the small condensation tray or it will over flow.

FengZ
June 1st, 2009, 06:08
i heard the portable A/Cs at Costco are pretty good (tho i'm not sure if there's a Costco by where you live). A friend of mine has one installed in his studio, and it's suppose to work pretty well.

http://www.costco.com/Common/Search.aspx?whse=BC&topnav=&search=air%20condition&N=0&Ntt=air%20condition&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US

however, all "real" A/Cs require a vent hose out, and sometimes water drain as well. But you can keep the unit inside the house, and only have the hose run outside. The HOA might never know ;P

-feng

Brian_Gladden
June 1st, 2009, 06:45
Designed for airplanes but with a power pack from radio shack... It might work.

http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&did=19&product_id=10785

Brian

Terry
June 1st, 2009, 08:21
It may remove moisture but unless the hot air coming off condenser is vented outside I don't see how it can cool at all. It would be like scooping water from one end of your bathtub and dumping in the other end.

Wulf190
June 1st, 2009, 10:06
HOA= Home owners Association :bump:

AckAck
June 1st, 2009, 20:04
Got a room you can seal off (nearly) from the rest of the apartment? Like your roommate's? Open his window to get the most circulation, and keep a fan running in the window for circulation. Cover most of his door opening with something, and mount a window A/C in the door covering. Then, you can use his room as the heat exchanger for the A/C.

That way you have A/C, but no externally visible window A/C. Sure, his room will be hot, but he's not going to be there! (Move his crayons into the other part of the apartment so they don't melt.)

(actually, with an HOA, is it a condo? Pretty sure it isn't an apartment)

Brian