PDA

View Full Version : For Ipod Touch users : what do you use/recommemd ?

dominique
May 30th, 2009, 03:50
Until today, I was using my Ipod Touch only as a music, photo and video player (great when you have to fly !). I decided to download a book (Bram Stoker 's Dracula) et a game (Flight control of course). And of course, version 2 of the OS (8 eurobucks !).

I'm wondering what applets/games you've downloaded and you recommend guys ?

BTW the Ipod a wonderful toy but, heavens !, the guys who designed the Itunes OS learnt the tricks of the trade in the early 80's and have not read much since. To pick a book you can only sort them out by name, date of release or most often sold. Meaning that to reach the book you want you have to click tens of times ! No bookmark either if you want to get back to it the following day ! No sorting between languages or categories...

Chacha
May 30th, 2009, 06:05
Hey Dominique,

This is what I have.... The Holy Bible, Translator, Google Earth, The Weather Channel, Yahoo Messenger, Flight Control (my high score is only 90, my daughter is 300+), Xplane, Pandora Radio, Dictionaire, Urbanspoon, Flixter, iBowl, Toy Bot Free, Sol Free, Taptap revenge (daughters game), Checkers (her game again), TicTocTouch (her game still), FssHockey (we play this together, Bubble Wrap(crazy game) Checkers (kids game), Night stand, Zippo Lighter, Big Oven... among others!

Dont be scared to DL a few apps, (the free ones) if you dont like it you can delete it...

ELi :running:

Lionheart
May 30th, 2009, 10:59
Programs;

IM Lite; (for chatting with most all Instant Messengers online through WiFi)
FreeSaurus; (thesaurus, for writing, etc)
Star Trek; (they now have a game out for iPod, as well as 4 comic books for iPod style reading
UrbanSpoon is awesome, freeware, but I do not know if it extends to Europe yet
NightStand; is a cool digital radio with several formats. Stays on all night and has also the old fashion flip style digital, several colors of electronic digital, and changes to wide format when you put ipod on its side. I think it has an alarm as well.
CSon; great sounds of nature program for when you cannot fall alseep, need background sounds..
Weather Channel (BRILLIANT) has a linked movie report as well, Eli mentions this
Flashlight; (converts screen to solid colors, very bright at night, great for looking for keys, etc)
Momo; (cool memo system, uploads through your Mac cloud system, I havent used it too much so I dont know much about it.. )

Games.............

Star Trek (sorry, mentioned above)
Jelly Car (stupid, but some people like it)
BMW Z4 (another car game, very well done, but based on making art via a BMW, so that part gets boring quick)
Toy Bot (fun and I think version 1 and 2 are now freeware)
Flight Control (awesome awesome)
Sheepish (hilarious goofy game of making sheep go through trails and tubes)
Catcha Mouse (havent played it that much, its ok, but not great for me)
Wings (flight sim, based on a successful online game, fly through valleys, no plane or VC visible, changeable sounds)
SolFree (freeware Solitair game, brilliant and a must)
Sudoku (Freeware for basic version, awesome and a must for people that like mind puzzles).
Cannon game (MUST HAVE, fun, blow things up, works great)

I still use Notes the most, the one that comes with iPod. I found that if you hold down your finger, and magnifying glass appears. You can then put the cursor right into words that need one letter fixed in spelling. Brilliant program. Chatting online is also pretty cool. Yahoo now has their own stand alone iPod App. I think IM Lite has it beat though in appearence and runnability, at least for now.

I found a cool German book and program that accompanies it, called Hundle. Its all in German. I got it to help keep up my German grammer, but I havent finished the book yet. Not very far into it. Translater is a brilliant program also for international translations.. Even has Japanese.

If you touch the Holy Scripture, that Bible that Eli points out is awesome awesome. It has perhaps 20 versions in it, including the new living bible, and also international languages. But, its an online bible. So if you are not in WiFi range, then it is also out of range..

Bill

dominique
May 30th, 2009, 20:00
thank you guys interesting choices I gotta look into !

I love my ipod but the flight control game or being on the wifi eats up the battery big time... How do you do do ? Link to the wall socket when using these apps ?

Panther_99FS
May 30th, 2009, 20:08
I don't have many games on my iPhone dominique save 2....

iShoot (Scorched Earth) & Flick Fishing...

Cratermaker
May 30th, 2009, 20:27
thank you guys interesting choices I gotta look into !

I love my ipod but the flight control game or being on the wifi eats up the battery big time... How do you do do ? Link to the wall socket when using these apps ?
It's kind of strange, but some games do and some games don't. I got the wolfenstein 3D retro app and it is surprisingly miserly on the battery power.

dominique
May 30th, 2009, 23:40
Thanks again

What fascinates me is that these games have a distinct 1980's flavor (I feel younger :mixedsmi:), when computing power was very little.

Meaning that in 15/20 years (or less) we may 've on our iPod the sophisticated games that we've today on our desk/laptops:isadizzy:...

tigisfatdied
May 30th, 2009, 23:59
Flight Control (my high score is only 90, my daughter is 300+),

SSSSKKKKRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT!!!!

Are you serious? I don't even know what to say, that's insane. She might be the world's champion.

Chacha
May 31st, 2009, 09:48
If you touch the Holy Scripture, that Bible that Eli points out is awesome awesome. It has perhaps 20 versions in it, including the new living bible, and also international languages. But, its an online bible. So if you are not in WiFi range, then it is also out of range..

Bill
There is an offline version Bill, If you go to MORE and go to Settings, you can download your Offline Translations

Eli

PS

tigisfatdie,

My daughter is with my ex, She has her iPod, This is my score on Flight Control....

:running:

Lionheart
May 31st, 2009, 10:26
Thanks ChaCha,

I didnt know you could do that.

:engel016:

Bill

dominique
May 31st, 2009, 19:11
I'm half the man you're Chacha, my highest score is 45 :icon_lol: !

Chacha
May 31st, 2009, 19:35
Uhhh Dominique,

I am a wo-man! :icon_lol:

Eli

tigisfat
May 31st, 2009, 19:51
I'm half the man you're Chacha, my highest score is 45 :icon_lol: !

I would reccomend finding paths that don't conflict with each other and have minimal crossings, then I'd stick with them. That's how I got 100+. It took me a while to break out and get more than 40, but now I do it from time to time. Flight control is frequently my restroom entertainment at work.

Lionheart
May 31st, 2009, 20:03
My record is 75.

I try to lay out flights that follow each other, like helos and planes below, fast jets along the top, 737s will loop or quick circle near the runway opening.. Feeding a 737 through the planes can be a bit tight. My most accidents happen right at the runway, unfortunately.

Bill

dominique
June 1st, 2009, 09:46
Uhhh Dominique,

I am a wo-man! :icon_lol:

Eli

An even better explanation ;) !