PDA

View Full Version : burning question

cheezyflier
May 28th, 2009, 09:05
what guy hasn't wondered what a 2-stage rocket pushing a huge piece of reinforced 1" thick steel into a tiny import car against a 50,000lb concrete barrier at the speed of sound looks like? well, wonder no more:
aSVfYwdGSsQ

cheezyflier
May 28th, 2009, 09:06
and also, if you always knew orcas were smart, i wonder if you knew they were this smart?

p3xmqbNsRSk

emorris
May 28th, 2009, 09:38
I recently saw a video of an orca in captivity that liked to look at pictures of other orcas but was uninterested in pictures of other animals. I also got to go on a whale watching boat as part of my Kenmore Air Seattle to San Juan Island trip last weekend.

OBIO
May 28th, 2009, 09:44
I saw that episode of MythBusters....they used Korean War era "surplus" 5-inch HVAR rockets (without the warheads of course) to power the sleds. I think they had 8, or was it 16, of them in each of the sled segments. The first stage got the contraption up to about Mach .5 then the second stage kicked it and got the sled to just about Mach 1.

You have to love a job where you get paid to do stupid things with high explosives, shoot guns, destroy buses and cars and houses, turn a hot water heater into a steam-powered master of hayhem, and basically do all the things your mother told you not to do because you could put your eye out.

OBIO

cheezyflier
May 28th, 2009, 13:43
You have to love a job where you get paid to do stupid things with high explosives, shoot guns, destroy buses and cars and houses, turn a hot water heater into a steam-powered master of hayhem, and basically do all the things your mother told you not to do because you could put your eye out.

OBIO

i think the exact same thing every time i see those guys

JSpal
May 28th, 2009, 14:03
The thing that amazes me about the first video, is the way that in the slow motion shot, the red paint, either on the sled or on the front of the car turns into a cloud of red dust on impact. Like the impact is so intense and the force so strong, it just vaporizes it. It's almost like something from a cartoon.

Willy
May 28th, 2009, 15:44

OBIO

Sounds like being in the military :d

Snuffy
May 28th, 2009, 16:47
based on the title of this thread I thought it was going to be some kind of personal hygene/medical problem ...

:banghead:

cheezyflier
May 28th, 2009, 19:24
Sounds like being in the military :d

when i attempted to join the army, my recruiter was an ex demolition guy, missing a few fingers. he was a really fun guy:applause:

Wing_Z
May 28th, 2009, 19:33
I'd very much like to try this at home.
I have a caravan, and a sled.
Can anyone help out with some surplus rocket power?
No wildlife will be injured during the experiment...:pop4: