PDA

View Full Version : Download issues here with IE8/Vista

WuhWuzDat
May 28th, 2009, 07:22
After installing IE8 yesterday, whenever I attempted to download a .zip file from SOH, the file would try to open, rather than saving.
Issue did did not occur at other sites, with the same file type.
Issue did not occur with Firefox.
Issue solved by reverting to IE7.

This is two times that I have installed IE8, and I have uninstalled within 24 hrs each time.

As with any of Microsofts alleged upgrades, approach with caution, there is always the potential for a truly "Craptastic Voyage".

Jeff

sandar
May 28th, 2009, 07:34
I, too, have just uninstalled IE8 (easier said than done) as it was causing compatability issues with my email system. I think I will stick with what I have, why fix what ain't broken?

Agung
May 28th, 2009, 20:50
Being ever compliant I installed IE8 when MS told me so. Haven't had a single problem with IE8 yet... but then I have not used it even once :monkies:

Willy
May 28th, 2009, 21:03
I'm still at IE6, but using Firefox. ;)

Agung
May 28th, 2009, 23:45
Oh, I remember now, to be perfectly honest; I had been getting "..script errors" and other cryptic MS yadda yadda which somehow kept pointing to IE7. After many sleepless nights and yet another divorce it dawned on me: updating to IE8 might eradicate those gremlins... which it did :applause:
I didn't and don't feel indebted to MS to use IE8 as a browser for this miraculous fix.

Antoninus
May 29th, 2009, 00:04
I have the same problems with IE8. Another reason to stick with firefox.

demorier
May 29th, 2009, 01:30
I'm still on IE6 but never use it. Been on Firefox for ages...now on Google Chrome, works just fine for me.

Crusader
May 29th, 2009, 04:15
I'm not trying to come to the defence of IE8 because undoubtedly ,many out there are having problems . I can honestly say I have had none . I am running VISTA 64bit OS along with Windows Live Mail as my emailer and so far have not run into any glitchs and appears to be alittle more secure than its previous versions . I download here at SOH without problems also .

Rich

GT182
May 29th, 2009, 16:44
I'm still using IE6 too. I had too many problems with IE7, so now I won't touch IE8. :d Besides, IE8 is a Vista thing. ;)

Panther_99FS
May 29th, 2009, 17:54
Here's a REALLY COOL browser--->:mixedsmi: (http://www.apple.com/safari/)

Cerberus
May 30th, 2009, 00:34
Whoops I posted my own IE8 thread before I noticed this one

For some reason on the new IE webpages will not load after I have a few tabs open. Say I’ve got 3 pages loaded in different tabs and when I click on a link a new window opens and the link will never load. Other times I will click on a new tab and then type in a link and the page will never load.
When this happens I jump over to firefox and it loads them instantly no matter how many tabs I have open in it. Anyone experiencing this?

exc141ac
May 30th, 2009, 07:20
I am still on IE 6. Lately it has been acting erratic, however, most notably on uploads, and crashing with multiple open windows.

I have Firefox and use it for known sites, but prefer IE because the 3rd party program Cookie Manager still makes it very useful since in combination they offer the very best cookie control.