PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with Fighters..????

gera
May 27th, 2009, 09:03
I love WW2 fighters and when I want to get in a dogfight I fire up my fighter programs.........so I ask-----what do you do with them in FSX??????...I guess you take off and land, fly a historical route, make beliveve you are in your Fighter Flight School and practice, practice and practice.....then, maybe do mock up battles with an invisible Kraut or if you fly online with some of your buddies you fly formations or maybe scort a bomber to target.........but, is it not the Job of a fighter plane and its pilot after much schooling-- to shoot enemy planes, bomb enemy instalations, sink subs and ships, straff enemy roads ???....really, what do you do with a beautiful P-47, or the venerable Mustang or a Beaufighter or..or..or..or.....??????????:isadizzy::isadizzy:

RyanJames170
May 27th, 2009, 09:11
i do what all the other bloaks do who own then in real life i guess just fly them for fun push them to there max and see who is the better pilot.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Barvan40
May 27th, 2009, 09:12
All of the above, plus I have become a great cloud fighter. <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype>:mixedsmi:<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

I also use fsrecorder and fly as prey, flying all types of air combat maneuvers. Then replay the recorded flight and try to keep the prey lined up in my sights. I can’t shoot it down but this practice combat keeps me happy and is very similar to what WW-II pilots did to keep sharp.

CG_1976
May 27th, 2009, 09:14
I hook up bombs on my jug. There are bombs some were that make a heck of a explosion. Ah nothing like bombing narcotic areas in S America. Now if only i can figure out were to get AA fire so I have a challenge.

gera
May 27th, 2009, 09:16
All of the above, plus I have become a great cloud fighter. <v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype>:mixedsmi:<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

I also use fsrecorder and fly as prey, flying all types of air combat maneuvers. Then replay the recorded flight and try to keep the prey lined up in my sights. I can’t shoot it down but this practice combat keeps me happy and is very similar to what WW-II pilots did to keep sharp.

Question...You can fly with a pre-recorded flight???? don´t understand???

MudMarine
May 27th, 2009, 09:18
I fly fighters simply because I love them. Why would I want to drive a bus (multi-engine or small GA planes) in a simulator rather than a corvette (P51, Fw190, P47, P38, F4U, F6F, Me109)????????

PS If I want a combat sim I fly IL-2 or some such game.

gera
May 27th, 2009, 09:19
I hook up bombs on my jug. There are bombs some were that make a heck of a explosion. Ah nothing like bombing narcotic areas in S America. Now if only i can figure out were to get AA fire so I have a challenge.

I downloaded the bombs, and need something like this for a Mission but so far they have not worked as the author says....ummm, ummm!!!

gera
May 27th, 2009, 09:20
I fly fighters simply because I love them. Why would I want to drive a bus (multi-engine or small GA planes) in a simulator rather than a corvette (P51, Fw190, P47, P38, F4U, F6F, Me190)????????

Good Show!!!!:jump::jump:

MudMarine
May 27th, 2009, 09:22
How about this........why would you rather look at the legs in you advatar vs. Hillary Clintions Ckankle's (huge ankles)??? Apply that idea to fighter planes vs. skypigs. hehe:engel016::icon_lol:

Lewis-A2A
May 27th, 2009, 09:30
Gera there's only one combat sim that models an aircraft in as much detail as our P47 AND lets you fight with it and that's a helicopter sim.

Try our P47,.. and you will see how simplified the actual flying part in combat sims is :kilroy:. One of the first things I did in our P47 is try to recreate a typical 8th AF day, take off get up to alt, meet with bombers and fly for eight hours in freezing temps above occupied Europe and then get home all in one piece, on time, with feul to spare + a good running engine... The boys in real did this on a daily basis I havent managed it once.

6297J
May 27th, 2009, 09:35
How about this........why would you rather look at the legs in you advatar vs. Hillary Clintions Ckankle's (huge ankles)??? Apply that idea to fighter planes vs. skypigs. hehe:engel016::icon_lol:

Actually I think the legs in Gera's avatar look more like Bill Clinton's. I don't like to see well defined muscles in a womans leg like that, I prefer dainty. But each to his own :mixedsmi:

I must confess though, I do like to fly my Spit over the channel and try to imagine I'm outrunning and evading the Hun on the way back :kilroy:

If I'm flying a yank crate then I'm an RAF instructor teaching them how to fly it :engel016:

IanP
May 27th, 2009, 09:50
I treat them the same as I do any other powerful aircraft. I fly them from place to place, I do aerobatics badly, I buzz towers, I just generally enjoy flying.

If I wanted to do combat I'd use a combat flight sim. If I'm using FSX I want to "fly". Simple as that.

Bomber_12th
May 27th, 2009, 09:57
I do what a lot of current warbird pilots do, especially in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">UK</st1:place></st1:country-region> - conduct 'air tests'. Some like to call it "wringing-out" the aircraft, though what you do is fly the aircraft through a choreographed layout of chandelles, Cuban-eights, quarter rolls, 8-point rolls, loops, vertical reversals, etc, while still maintaining proper engine limitations, which is usually somewhere close but beneath climb settings. I almost never fly point-to-point or do anything else these days with FSX except for flying such displays, typically over Duxford, Old Warden, and <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Chino</st1:place></st1:City>. Most of my 'flying' time thus is spent translating actual methods of flying a warbird-fighter routine into what I'm doing. It is a great learning experience in being able to manage your speed and energy, and each time try and perfect the display a bit more. It fits perfectly in with being a developer who is limited by time, and personally I can't see myself 'pretending' to travel back in time. I'm definitely 'in it' for the best, most accurate experience possible, flying warbirds in modern times, and combat sims have never really intrigued me because of this.

italoc
May 27th, 2009, 10:00
I fly fighters simply because I love them. Why would I want to drive a bus (multi-engine or small GA planes) in a simulator rather than a corvette (P51, Fw190, P47, P38, F4U, F6F, Me109)????????

I love them too :wiggle::wiggle:

But I dont do much more then takeoff and land (mmmh .... crash most of the time :icon_lol:)
Italo

MudMarine
May 27th, 2009, 10:05
Actually I think the legs in Gera's avatar look more like Bill Clinton's. I don't like to see well defined muscles in a womans leg like that, I prefer dainty. But each to his own :mixedsmi:

I must confess though, I do like to fly my Spit over the channel and try to imagine I'm outrunning and evading the Hun on the way back :kilroy:

If I'm flying a yank crate then I'm an RAF instructor teaching them how to fly it :engel016:

I think you need to look at some of Panthers advatar's to understand what "well defined" really means!

6297J
May 27th, 2009, 10:09
I think you need to look at some of Panthers advatar's to understand what "well defined" really means!

I can't bring myself to look at them! All those steroids and testosterone injections - god knows what else they've grown apart from well defined thighs and hairy backs :isadizzy:

MudMarine
May 27th, 2009, 10:10
I do what a lot of current warbird pilots do, especially in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">UK</st1:place></st1:country-region> - conduct 'air tests'. Some like to call it "wringing-out" the aircraft, though what you do is fly the aircraft through a choreographed layout of chandelles, Cuban-eights, quarter rolls, 8-point rolls, loops, vertical reversals, etc, while still maintaining proper engine limitations, which is usually somewhere close but beneath climb settings. I almost never fly point-to-point or do anything else these days with FSX except for flying such displays, typically over Duxford, Old Warden, and <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Chino</st1:place></st1:City>. Most of my 'flying' time thus is spent translating actual methods of flying a warbird-fighter routine into what I'm doing. It is a great learning experience in being able to manage your speed and energy, and each time try and perfect the display a bit more. It fits perfectly in with being a developer who is limited by time, and personally I can't see myself 'pretending' to travel back in time. I'm definitely 'in it' for the best, most accurate experience possible, flying warbirds in modern times, and combat sims have never really intrigued me because of this.

Your 100% correct B12! Ask any fighter pilot.......their experience is hundreds hours of endless boredom punctuated by a few seconds of terror. It's about perfecting the routine, and becoming part of the machine. That's what a pilot is to me, fighter or not.

gajit
May 27th, 2009, 10:19
I like flying and getting lost near Bermuda :mixedsmi:

hews500d
May 27th, 2009, 10:20

That sounds like what I do Bomber. I've flown countless displays at "airshows" all over the country. :ernae:

Darrell

war.ace
May 27th, 2009, 11:37
I push em to the limt fly high, try to do some evasive manuevers, fly straight down max speed and pull up when I get as low as I can without crashing, go downtown N.Y and T.O and try flying between the buildings on full speed, fly under bridges in San Fransico and go as high as possible and turn off the engine.

Boomer
May 27th, 2009, 12:17
I make mock attacks on AI, practice time on target drills, make bombing runs & just fly from point A to point B via pilotage & dead reckoning.

Bjoern
May 27th, 2009, 12:28
I only fly fighters whenever I need a break from hauling butt, but never for more than an hour.

And sometimes, I'd really like to have a paintball and "real wingman AI" add-on for some mock dogfights.

The former should even be doable via FSX and SimConnect. As for the latter, prerecorded FSRecorder tracks should do for the start.

gera
May 27th, 2009, 12:36
Great answers guys!!!.......but how the hell did my Avatar get involved?????

I do fly the great fighters of WW2 something like some of you have said you do. I almost never buy them since I use them so little, so most are freeware, except for the Venerable and Admired P-51 Mustang which I saw flying in formation over my house many many times, I can still hear that RR engine and the P-47 Jug, saw one drop a bomb on top of the "Policia Nacional" headquaters back in 1954. (It was flown by the CIA ).......for combat I switch to IL-2 or CFS which are not that hot either..............Lewis A2A, I´ll surely check your P-47 in a few minutes........

------------------strange!!! no one has mentioned Hellcats or Corsairs pilots doing their difficult "Carrier Landing" instruction----Hummmm, ummmm:kilroy:

SolarEagle
May 27th, 2009, 13:24
This is a series of images to show how I commonly like to fly, which is at 1.0 ata/30 inches from spot view, down low in the trees.

I grabbed these shots right while I was flying, so I'm using my usual .60 zoom level, though I did try to crop the images in a way that conveys the same sense of speed.

In general I treat warbirds like my personal hotrod, and just fly around enjoying the sounds, scenery, flight physics and engine management.

I also enjoy mountain flying since there is so much for visual spatial reference.

http://sio.midco.net/ftp6/fly1.jpg

http://sio.midco.net/ftp6/fly5.jpg

http://sio.midco.net/ftp6/fly4.jpg

http://sio.midco.net/ftp6/fly6.jpg

VFR Reviews
May 27th, 2009, 14:10
I just enjoy flying the old gels... no need for me to pretend I'm up against enemies when my engine sounds angry at me anyway :icon_lol:

huub vink
May 27th, 2009, 14:16
I paint them and fly them....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/bridges.jpg

Marvin Carter
May 27th, 2009, 15:10
I like to have fun with Recorder, go after the 111s.
I'm in a 109 going after the Hawk.
Marvin Carter
http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss241/Marvin-56/goinghome.jpg

MudMarine
May 27th, 2009, 15:24
Great answers guys!!!.......but how the hell did my Avatar get involved?????

I do fly the great fighters of WW2 something like some of you have said you do. I almost never buy them since I use them so little, so most are freeware, except for the Venerable and Admired P-51 Mustang which I saw flying in formation over my house many many times, I can still hear that RR engine and the P-47 Jug, saw one drop a bomb on top of the "Policia Nacional" headquaters back in 1954. (It was flown by the CIA ).......for combat I switch to IL-2 or CFS which are not that hot either..............Lewis A2A, I´ll surely check your P-47 in a few minutes........

------------------strange!!! no one has mentioned Hellcats or Corsairs pilots doing their difficult "Carrier Landing" instruction----Hummmm, ummmm:kilroy:

Your advatar got involed by me, only to provide an example I thought others could relate to. And being a Marine and a Naval Aviation fanatic, carrier landings are a major part of my flying time!

Chuck_Jodry-VJPL
May 27th, 2009, 16:02
Flight Tests , the best part of this job !

MudMarine
May 27th, 2009, 16:06
Flight Tests , the best part of this job !

I'm an outstanding test pilot, I must say especialy with twin engine aircraft! hehe That 38 is going to be so SWEET!!

oakfloor
May 27th, 2009, 16:13
I fire up my hot rodded realair griffon powered spitfire racer and chase airliners, push that baby up to 95 inches of mp and let her wind to 3400 rpm, and GLS..yahoo! and BTW leave your speaker volume up high too:applause:

Barvan40
May 27th, 2009, 17:18
Question...You can fly with a pre-recorded flight???? don´t understand???

Yes, here is an example. I recorded the flight of the Ju-W34 over Libya and played it back while flying the P-40. It was just a matter of lining it up, center it in my sights, and down it goes.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u162/Barvan40/WOPIII_P40_001.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u162/Barvan40/WOPIII_P40_002.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u162/Barvan40/WOPIII_P40_003.jpg