PDA

View Full Version : A case for fsuipc ( fsx winds)

mjrhealth
May 27th, 2009, 03:45
Well i finally got it. For those who dont know what it is, it is a utility that can help interface devices to FSx, help with joystick calibration, and even help with some minor bugs. The download version is free, but has limited use and does have a free licence with some planes. To get its full use you need to pay but its worth it, and no this is not advertising. The reason i got it was to smooth out those horrid wind shifts ijn fsx and well it does a reasonable job. im still working on the joystick side of things and am going to ask some questions on that side on there forum. well now i can fly my planes without them twisting all over the place. just need to get a quad core next to make me happy for a while.

Reddog
May 27th, 2009, 08:38
It can also run your Computer out of virtual memory!! Using the free version had that happen to me with all the versions out for FSX, once I deleted it hadn't had the problem since.

fliger747
May 27th, 2009, 08:49
This application tends to have either fans or haters. As a developer it is usefull as it allows direct access to many internal data points regarding aircraft performance. For my purposes the "free" installation works well.

However flying large jet aircraft at altitude can be really frustrating as the insane FS windshifts frequently cause aircraft destruction. In FS a 120 knot 180 degree windshift in the period off a milisecond or so is not uncommon in the jetstream over Japan.

Haven't had a memory leak so far due to FSUPIC... so far.

Cheers: T.

gera
May 27th, 2009, 09:12
If you are making your own cockpit or 737 cabin and panel its a Must for all the hardware which must communicate with the sim.....an absolute, I have had no trouble of any kind with it. The author is a gineuous, he gives it away for the price!!!!!:mixedsmi:

IanP
May 27th, 2009, 09:52
I've used it - free and pay - for years and never had a memory leak.

It is, however, exceptionally good for setting up reverse thrust and dealing with MS's awful weather engine regarding winds!

Reddog
May 27th, 2009, 13:22
I've used it - free and pay - for years and never had a memory leak.

It is, however, exceptionally good for setting up reverse thrust and dealing with MS's awful weather engine regarding winds!

Used it all the time with FS9 and no problems at all, just with FSX the problem occurs.

IanP
May 27th, 2009, 13:27
All I can say is that I used the FSX version from release until I could afford to register it without experiencing a memory leak, and have used it constantly since registering it without experiencing a memory leak.

I suspect that, as with most things, it is actually an interaction with something else that is causing the problem on your machine. However, have you tried talking to Pete Dowson or posting on his forum? He's normally pretty quick at replying when people are having issues (although some people I know find him a little "abrupt" at times - but before or after telling you to ****, he normally repeats what the manual says anyway... ;))

jmig
May 27th, 2009, 13:35
FSX without FSUIPC....well, it isn't the same. I run all my joystick/controllers through it for the axes and buttons.

It is the first addon I install after FSX or FS9. No memory leaks here either.

stansdds
May 28th, 2009, 01:55
I've used the freeware version in both FS9 and FSX without any issues. I have given thought to purchasing the full version for FSX as the winds aloft can turn real nasty, real fast, and in a most unrealistic way. Never had such issues with FS9. Never been on a real flight and seen any evidence of such violent acts, only in FSX.

IanP
May 28th, 2009, 08:51
I licensed FSUIPC in FS9 specifically to take out the unrealistic wind shifts at high altitude (it's a lot worse when you use a real weather app, normally) and unrealistic pressure changes. It's not new, unfortunately. I regularly used to get wiped out half way through flights in FS98 and 2000 by a 120kt headwind instantly becoming a 180kt tailwind and ripping the aircraft past the stress limits. :173go1: