PDA

View Full Version : Something that has always bothered me...

Rezabrya
May 25th, 2009, 10:44
I am going to try to explain this quirk using the Aerosoft F-16. I think all can agree that this plane is fairly tough on framerates. I have my fps locked at 35 and a normal flight will start on the ground at about 22 fps. Once I get higher up that increses to 35 in the VC which is absolutely perfect for me. I have always wondered about on the ground though. Obviously it is tougher on frames and the fps will suffer but I am wondering why it is that if I set my fps to lock at 40, rather than 22 it will be about 28-30 on the ground. Why is it that with a higher fps lock I can get higher fps on the ground? You would think if I set the lock to 35 I would still be at 28 on the ground right? Why is it that the ground fps is always about 10 lower than the lock? If I can achieve 30 on the ground with 40 lock, why cant I achieve 30 on the ground with 35 lock? What function in FSX keeps it from doing what would seem logical?

Roger
May 25th, 2009, 11:13
If I knew the answer to that I'd be a happy man??? (same issue here)

Krazy
May 25th, 2009, 11:32
Maybe because on the ground much more detail is generated and higher its less..just my guess...

Rezabrya
May 25th, 2009, 11:35
Thats not my question. My question is why is it that if I have my fps locked at 40 I can get 30 on the ground, yet if I have my fps locked at 35, I can only get about 22 fps on the ground. If I can get 30 with it locked at 40 why cant i get 30 with it locked at 35?

deimos256
May 25th, 2009, 19:35
the limiter "thinks" more at lower set levels?? I keep forgetting to mess around with mine

X_eidos2
May 25th, 2009, 19:46
If you set the frame rate limiter all the way to the right it will say "unlimited" and you should get a nice boost in frame rates all around. I've not learned why, but I enjoy the results.

Rezabrya
May 26th, 2009, 03:54
meh I have tried that. Although it says I am getting higher frames it doesnt feel like it. It is much more smooth on my pc with it locked at 35.

lucas81
May 26th, 2009, 06:18
I agree. When unlocked, it is not smooth and there may be problems with texture sharpness. The FSX "concentrates" on providing more fps rather than crisp graphics. I have mine locked to 26 which is fine for me and the texture loading is better than when I had my fsx set to 30-35.

Lucas

Dimus
May 26th, 2009, 06:25
My setup runs much smoother with the FPS set at unlimited in game but regulated by the external FPS limiter suggested by Nick Needham and others here:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29685

That annoying phenomenon is gone with the external limiter and you get the FPS boost offered by the unlimited setting ingame while at the same time minimizing stutters by setting the max fps externally according to what your rig can handle.

Of course, as always in FSX, your milage may vary. Worth a try though I think.