PDA

View Full Version : Dino's F-14D Tomcat BETA WIP

wilycoyote4
May 25th, 2009, 06:19
Beta 1 testing screenshots of Dino's F-14D Tomcat. All are WIP ---Work in Progress. Many changes have been made and these screenshots are only the BETA 1 build. This is not the final build.

Quicksand
May 25th, 2009, 06:24
Good shots! I'll be waiting in line for this one!:ernae::medals::icon29::guinness:

wilycoyote4
May 25th, 2009, 06:32
Dino's F-14D Tomcat BETA WIP part 2

gajit
May 25th, 2009, 06:33
Excellent :applause:

BananaBob
May 25th, 2009, 07:02
Oh jeeze, I wet myself, LOL, can't wait to do a paint for this baby, looks freaking awesome! :medals::medals:

Daube
May 25th, 2009, 07:12
Amazing work Dino !!
And thanks for the screenshots Wilycoyote4 :ernae:

Bone
May 25th, 2009, 07:28
How are the frame rates? Dino had said it was going to be an fps hog in one of his previous posts, so I'm curious as to what you're getting.

empeck
May 25th, 2009, 08:13
Excellent!

Now two questions: native? free or payware? ;)

wilycoyote4
May 25th, 2009, 08:42
Excellent!

Now two questions: native? free or payware? ;)

empeck--
freeware, native FSX, meant for FSX Acceleration ----since it is a carrier bird.
MDLXMDLH :applause::medals:

bone---
FPS---depends on pc power, my specs in my signature, depends on settings of traffic, weather, autogen, display, where you are flying, etc ---ok for me and my pc is no power house. When it is available, download and see how it goes---it's free. That's the best way to judge. I'm happy enough. :guinness::icon29::ernae:

This is beta 1. The next release is being built. I guess it will be beta 2 but I don't know. Anyway, tis a hint of the future public release.

swimeye
May 25th, 2009, 08:53
What a beauty. It looks totally stunning, the flightsim world is so fortunate to have people like you Dino. The payware companies must stand in line to have you to work for them :jump:

Mithrin
May 25th, 2009, 09:41
Framerates, compared to the latest Iris F-14 are most excellent. The model may be less smooth because of that but to me it looks pretty awesome!

empeck
May 25th, 2009, 10:06
empeck--
freeware, native FSX, meant for FSX Acceleration ----since it is a carrier bird.
MDLXMDLH

:medals::medals::medals:

:ernae:

Daube
May 25th, 2009, 12:38
Empeck has raised a good question: Freeware or Payware... of course, as Wilycoyote already stated, the Tomcat will be freeware. But the interesting informations from Dino's page are:
- the next model he will build will be a F-35
- this F-35 will "most likely" be payware.
Anyway, I can't wait to fly this Tomcat :jump:

Dino Cattaneo
May 25th, 2009, 13:37
All, thanks a lot for your appreciation and support...and special thanks to wilycoyote4 (both for the testing activities and the "advertising").

As for the Tomcat - it will be 100% freeware. The cockpit needs some debigging, but at present it is 100% flyable and most of the issues of the exterior visuals and flight model have been solved.

Yes, I've already started an F-35 and I am still undecided if it will be payware or freeware. I've been desiging FSX add-ons for years and they have always been freeware....and the reason why I design for FSx is that I like doing it. Still, as the average quality level and detail keeps on getting better and better, the amount of time, dedication and resources needed for a decent FSX plane is enourmous. But freeware vs payware is a tedious question.... So, for tonight, I'll stop writing and I will continue debugging the Tomcat. Mission: de-bug the virtual decks :-)

VFR Reviews
May 25th, 2009, 14:27
Looks awesome!!!

I can't wait :)

Dino.... awesome news about the F-35! Thanks a ton, you're work is always worth paying for, whether it's payware or freeware :)

BananaBob
May 25th, 2009, 18:22
If you need a painter Dino, I sure would like to do a couple paints for it, the last Tomcat especially. You're love for your work shows and I really respect that. :ernae:

jeansy
May 26th, 2009, 02:30
and free! looks like ive made a huge saving on this tomcat, ok what to buy now?

sterling effort, from what ive seen around the traps it looks like your tomcat will be the tomcat to get

EgoR64
May 26th, 2009, 04:42
:wavey:

Hi Dino,

Wow Fantastic, Looking forward to some F-14 Carrier Ops in her !!

Great Shots Wily !!

:ernae::ernae:

Stickshaker
May 26th, 2009, 08:45
Lovely bird, Dino! Why should you not earn some well-deserved revenues from your work, even if you do it for fun? If all people whom I hear saying that they enjoy their work wouldn't get paid for it, then hardly anyone would have the mony to buy payware.

Dino Cattaneo
May 26th, 2009, 11:55
@Stickshaker

well, I do not think there is anything wrong in payware per se.... but freeware gives the developer much more freedom to develop whatever he/she wants at any quality level.

For example there are a lot of potentially interesting planes and sceneries that have little or no commercial value, or in any case they are so peculiar that will not appeal to many customers.

But, apart from that, in my case the thing is that I have a (relatively) well paid and (relatively) interesting job, and FSX is just an hobby between others. For incredible that it may sound, I do not think I need more money than what I get. So money is not a good reason to spend my spare time doing things I do not want. For example there is clearly a businness opportunity for a top-notch FSX native Phantom II - but it is a plane I do not like (Blasphemy! :-) ).

Anyway F-35 could be a good opportunity to give a try to the payware world....but this post is already too long and the Turkey needs some more work...

Odie
May 26th, 2009, 13:00
Dino, it's a keeper ! :ernae:

Got the crew clearing primo space in the hangar for the Big Cat !

BananaBob....might I suggest a VF-213 paint to adorn this feline??:jump:

BananaBob
May 27th, 2009, 07:53
Just a little tease shot of what I worked on today, this is the Beta 1 of Dino's F-14 version too, so certain parts will be waiting for paint down the road. Gonna be a keeper for sure. Thanks Dino. :ernae:

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/9158/grimrprwip1.jpg

Mithrin
May 27th, 2009, 08:11
Oooh can't wait to see that finished!

wilycoyote4
May 27th, 2009, 08:35
Just a little tease shot of what I worked on today, this is the Beta 1 of Dino's F-14 version too, so certain parts will be waiting for paint down the road. Gonna be a keeper for sure. Thanks Dino. :ernae:
That was quick, well done. Only beta 1, yes, correct, beta 2 will be out soon with many corrections and additions. Sundowners? Long list is likely, eh?
:guinness::icon29::ernae::guinness::icon29:

BananaBob
May 27th, 2009, 08:47
That was quick, well done. Only beta 1, yes, correct, beta 2 will be out soon with many corrections and additions. Sundowners? Long list is likely, eh?
:guinness::icon29::ernae::guinness::icon29:

Yeah, just got to get one done then the others shouldn't be too bad at all.
:ernae:

RyanJames170
May 27th, 2009, 09:16
is this thing released yet or is it just Beta testers only? looks cool btw
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Marlin
May 27th, 2009, 12:17
MDLXMDLH :applause::medals:

Is this some kind of a sick joke? :kilroy:

That is awsome looking.
Will this work without Acceleration?

wilycoyote4
May 27th, 2009, 12:32
is this thing released yet or is it just Beta testers only? looks cool btw
<!--Session data-->
It is not released to the public, not yet, not as I write these words. Beta testers will start testing beta 2 soon, as far as I know.

deimos256
May 27th, 2009, 12:39
Holy poop!

BananaBob
May 27th, 2009, 12:39
I'm just doing paints and Wily is correct, this is just Beta 1 and Beta 2 will come along at a later time for more testing. :ernae:

wilycoyote4
May 27th, 2009, 13:05
Is this some kind of a sick joke? :kilroy:

That is awsome looking.
Will this work without Acceleration?

Yes, I think so, but Acceleration has moving carriers with catapaults and arresting wires for traps. The F-14D has 2 MFDs which are from Acceleration so you need Acceration for these MFDs. I think you can fly it without Acceleration.

Correct me if I'm wrong, of course. Hope this helps a little.

RyanJames170
May 27th, 2009, 13:12
it like the other aircraft from this person will not work with out Acceration hence my getting of it last night.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Dino Cattaneo
May 27th, 2009, 16:15
Bob - I think you've started from the same picture I did :-) ! It is a very promising repaint anyway BTW don't get mad looking for the texture that creates the white rim below the windshield. Mapping for those polys is different in Beta 2. The only thing I would suggest is desaturating the fuselage color as it appears more blue than it should be in many digital pictures (due to camera filters).

As for SP2 compatibility - I'm not sure it works. MFDs and sound will not work for sure (as aliased from the Hornet - I know, I know I'm a blasphemer...). Still the flight model should be using accelleration only parameters for supersonic jets - hence may not load in SP2. But I've never tested it so I'm not sure.

Beta 2 is almost ready - but will not be distributed to the public. The official 1.0 public release should be two weeks from now, more or less... I can't wait to fly it from Javier Fernandez's new Nimitz...they are looking awesome!

Navy Chief
May 27th, 2009, 16:36
This just keeps getting better and better, Dino. I thank you so much for your work!!

Go NAVAIR

Navy Chief

Marlin
May 27th, 2009, 19:08
Thanks for the answers, not what I wanted to hear, but thanks anyways.

I guess I've waited long enough, time to go and get the Acc package.:running:

jeansy
May 27th, 2009, 20:47
@Stickshaker

well, I do not think there is anything wrong in payware per se.... but freeware gives the developer much more freedom to develop whatever he/she wants at any quality level.

For example there are a lot of potentially interesting planes and sceneries that have little or no commercial value, or in any case they are so peculiar that will not appeal to many customers.

But, apart from that, in my case the thing is that I have a (relatively) well paid and (relatively) interesting job, and FSX is just an hobby between others. For incredible that it may sound, I do not think I need more money than what I get. So money is not a good reason to spend my spare time doing things I do not want. For example there is clearly a businness opportunity for a top-notch FSX native Phantom II - but it is a plane I do not like (Blasphemy! :-) ).

words of a true artist, its not for the money its for the love of it :icon29:

BananaBob
May 27th, 2009, 23:31
Bob - I think you've started from the same picture I did :-) ! It is a very promising repaint anyway BTW don't get mad looking for the texture that creates the white rim below the windshield. Mapping for those polys is different in Beta 2. The only thing I would suggest is desaturating the fuselage color as it appears more blue than it should be in many digital pictures (due to camera filters).

As for SP2 compatibility - I'm not sure it works. MFDs and sound will not work for sure (as aliased from the Hornet - I know, I know I'm a blasphemer...). Still the flight model should be using accelleration only parameters for supersonic jets - hence may not load in SP2. But I've never tested it so I'm not sure.

Beta 2 is almost ready - but will not be distributed to the public. The official 1.0 public release should be two weeks from now, more or less... I can't wait to fly it from Javier Fernandez's new Nimitz...they are looking awesome!

LOL, I was wondering about that (same photograph) and you're right, there is too much cyan in the photograph for FSX lighting, I toned down the saturation of cyan in the shot, this is probably closer to the color? Cheers.:ernae:

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/9158/grimrprwip1.jpg

peter12213
May 28th, 2009, 03:15
wow looks amaising the crew look a little big to me tho could just be me that tho!

Stickshaker
May 31st, 2009, 02:53
Thanks for your answer on the payware issue Dino. Whatever you decide will be a fair decision to me. I really like your T-45 and am looking forward to your Tomcat and F-35.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

hey_moe
May 31st, 2009, 04:33
Dino, outstanding job:jawdrop::jawdrop:...you have to excuse some of these old prop farts in here....they still stuck on the put-put stuff,,,can't wait for you to release her...Bob....that repaint is something...count me in for the downloads...Mike

BananaBob
May 31st, 2009, 05:15
wow looks amaising the crew look a little big to me tho could just be me that tho!

The pilots have been reduced in size, that was Beta 1, Dino is on Beta 2 now.:ernae:

Skywolf
May 31st, 2009, 20:06
Man...I have got to add this to my collection! Amazin!!:jawdrop::jawdrop:

peter12213
June 1st, 2009, 14:31
thakns for the info Bob

GT182
June 1st, 2009, 15:31
Gorgeous Cat Dino. Great paint too Bob.... for what you could do. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/GT182/Thumbup.gif to you both.

BTW Dino... if you need another tester for FSX/SP2/Acceleration I volunteer. ;)