PDA

View Full Version : 'A Pretty Good 500'...

Panther_99FS
May 24th, 2009, 18:40
The stars were aligned for Castroneves...

Fisher stayed out of troubled & finished the race...

Tracy finished the race....

On the down side...

Servia didn't finish...

Still don't know what happened to Target/Ganassi...

Ryan Hunter-Reay wrecked....

EasyEd
May 24th, 2009, 19:39
Hey All,

I saw a lot of the race. A few comments.

1) Marco needs lessons but at least he took himself out early by moving up into the car on the outside.

2) Major bummer for TK.

3) Nice 3rd Danica.

4) No - Graham Rahal - moving up a half a lane on turn four isn't enough maybe you've learned that after taking yourself out of the Indy 500 two years in a row on the same corner.

5) Not much passing - was there any? - upfront.

6) That track just looks so much better and "right" with 43 stock cars on it. But it is Indy.

7) Castroneves was sure worked up there at the end. Wonder if the IRS was in Victory Lane with him. He'll probably become a member of the 4 time winner club before long.

8) Not a particularly exciting race.

-Ed-

Panther_99FS
May 24th, 2009, 20:00
6) That track just looks so much better and "right" with 43 stock cars on it. But it is Indy.
-Ed-

Yikes!
I don't think you truly comprehend what Indy is if you're making this statement - even a lot of NASCAR racers have stated they dreamed of running in Indy (with an IndyCar) when they were in the USAC/Sprint car stages of their careers...

redriver6
May 24th, 2009, 20:00
purty much agree with yall...not particularly a Castroneves fan but i liked the win....that was a crazy wreck with the guy going backwards on his side down the fence...

EasyEd
May 24th, 2009, 20:14
Hey All,

:bump:
Yikes!
I don't think you truly comprehend what Indy is if you're making this statement - even a lot of NASCAR racers have stated they dreamed of running in Indy (with an IndyCar) when they were in the USAC/Sprint car stages of their careers...

I fully know what Indy is about and know that it is only a bit more of a mecca for racing in North America than Daytona. Having a longer history does that.

I was wondering if anybody would notice that line. :bump:

-Ed-

PS The track does look good with stock cars on it though.

Panther_99FS
May 24th, 2009, 20:17
I fully know what Indy is about and know that it is only a bit more of a mecca for racing in North America than Daytona. Having a longer history does that.

It's much, much, much, more than that....

Panther_99FS
May 24th, 2009, 20:21
It's much, much, much, more than that....

Addendum:

Personally, I think the 50's/60's were Indy's "glory years"...international drivers from all different types of racing all coming together for a single event....

(Others will definitely have a different view) :)

Cazzie
May 25th, 2009, 03:54
Addendum:

Personally, I think the 50's/60's were Indy's "glory years"...international drivers from all different types of racing all coming together for a single event....

(Others will definitely have a different view) :)

Absolutely and it was still a points races on the Grand Prix circuit and a lot of Grand Prix drivers drove Indy too. I remember the very day the rear engine cars came to Indy. Changed everything! But there has never been another Indy car engine that sounded as beautiful as a Novi. I was a kid, but I remember, fresh as the honeysuckles blooming outside my window.

Caz

wombat666
May 25th, 2009, 07:29
Absolutely and it was still a points races on the Grand Prix circuit and a lot of Grand Prix drivers drove Indy too. I remember the very day the rear engine cars came to Indy. Changed everything! But there has never been another Indy car engine that sounded as beautiful as a Novi. I was a kid, but I remember, fresh as the honeysuckles blooming outside my window.
Caz

1950-1960 were the years the 500 counted toward the World Championship for Drivers, mainly as the cars were similar in capacity to the 1.5S/C-4.5NA F1 entries at the start of the decade and the inclusion of an American event gave the 'World Championship' a more legitimate feel.
:USA-flag:

Ferry_vO
May 25th, 2009, 07:45
I tried watchin it yesterday, but only managed to stay tuned for the first forty and last ten laps. From some rFactor experience I appreciate how difficult it must be, but watching it from the outside it was just too long and boring for me. The crashes were the only interesting moments.

Panther_99FS
May 25th, 2009, 08:13
Robin Miller mentioned that he thought the IRL should use something similar to the CART rear wing device to bring back more passing.

(No comments about the Dallara) :d

wombat666
May 26th, 2009, 00:45
I remember when they first implemented that piece of kit at the Michigan 500.
To me it was just a 'plank' (for want of a better description :icon_lol:) bolted between the endplates of the rear wing to destroy the vortex effect, and it really worked!!
It's a simple idea which would certainly benefit racing on big ovals.

Ferry, I usually watch the first 10 and the last 10 laps ......... :USA-flag:
Really pleased for Castroneves BTW.

Panther_99FS
May 26th, 2009, 05:26
I wish I could remember the actual name of the device...:isadizzy::icon_lol:

redriver6
May 26th, 2009, 08:15
wicker bill...wickerbill?

Panther_99FS
May 26th, 2009, 09:52
I remember....

HANFORD DEVICE!!