PDA

View Full Version : High paying job at the Outhouse!

Jagdflieger
May 24th, 2009, 04:28
If any of you digital wizards out there would like to join the staff at the Outhouse as a systems back up helper, here is a link to view:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=16742

This is a topic that has been up front this last month and this looks like a way to preclude any further catastrophic loss of archived material.

Tango_Romeo
May 24th, 2009, 07:56
...even think about this UNLESS you have a download speed of at least 20Mbps, and 50Mbps would be better.....that's 25000-55000Kbps. And there are few of us who have this commercial level (T3) connection. :kilroy:

Wish I could help out, but I can't manage more than 7Mbps with AT&T's fastest home service. :isadizzy:

Jagdflieger
May 25th, 2009, 07:27
I'm afraid that I'm a non starter too, but hopefully someone with the requisite equipment will take note of the post and step forward.

Blue Devil
May 25th, 2009, 17:44
I'm afraid that I'm a non starter too, but hopefully someone with the requisite equipment will take note of the post and step forward.

...I have a homing carrier pigeon, ...that can peck Morse code...

Pretty reliable, ...except during falconry season...

Let me know.

Jagdflieger
May 25th, 2009, 17:53
_. _ _ _

_.. .. _._. .

Translation:

No dice!

Tango_Romeo
May 25th, 2009, 18:10
...I have a homing carrier pigeon, ...that can peck Morse code...

Pretty reliable, ...except during falconry season...

Let me know.

...and I'm getting his signal: ... _ _ _ ... :kilroy:

Jagdflieger
May 25th, 2009, 18:23
Carrier pigeon's last communication:

.._. ._.. ._ _._

... _ _ _ ...

Tango_Romeo
May 25th, 2009, 22:20
Carrier pigeon's last communication:

.._. ._.. ._ _._

... _ _ _ ...

...to pigeon:

_ _ _.. _ _ _..

egypt23spitfire
May 26th, 2009, 00:33
.........dang i can only dream of those speeds:isadizzy:

....or in morse speak .-- --- .--- , .-- --- .---, .-- --- .---

....hope it works out:ernae:

Tango_Romeo
May 26th, 2009, 06:37
.........dang i can only dream of those speeds:isadizzy:

....or in morse speak .-- --- .--- , .-- --- .---, .-- --- .---

....hope it works out:ernae:

...why voice radio and broadband Internet were invented. Otherwise we'd all be men of few words. :bump:

Jagdflieger
May 26th, 2009, 15:16
Still, it's great to see that there are still a few old hands around who remember Morse.

Oh, yes. The job has been filled so we shouldn't suffer any catastrophic loss of files in the future.

Tango_Romeo
May 26th, 2009, 15:52
...in the military concerning certain lifers having been in so long that their first demerit was for having el toro pooh pooh on their bow and arrows? :kilroy:
Well, I've been around so long that they had a merit badge in Morse Code when I was a Scout. :isadizzy:

Henry
May 26th, 2009, 16:43
My speeds are in the minus category:jump:
LOL
H

Fibber
May 26th, 2009, 19:07
My rating required Morse, but it has been so long that I have forgotten a lot of it. The only ones I can remember promptly are ._ ._ and ..._ , _.., ... Meaning, bubbleheads below lookout, I have a lure out!:ernae:

erufle
May 27th, 2009, 01:54
I earned the morse code badge. You really mean its gone? My God, I'm an official old fart? I even bought a little mechanism for tapping it out. "Oh the good old days, the good old days. We were rougher and readier . . . "

I'll go back to bed now. :sleep:

Tango_Romeo
May 27th, 2009, 07:19
...we ARE rougher and readier. We walked five miles to school every day....or was it ten? :engel016:

Unfortunately, the only mention of Morse in Merit Badges today is in the Radio badge requirements:

5. Explain how you would make an emergency call on voice or Morse code.

:isadizzy:

Tango_Romeo
May 27th, 2009, 07:31
...about it, I went to parochial school. My Dad drove me to school each morning and beginning when I was eight (3rd grade), I rode a city bus (including a transfer) home each afternoon.

On saturdays, my friend and I would scrape up two or three bucks and hop a bus downtown to see a movie, get a shake at Candyland and ride the bus back home.

Can you imagine suggesting such a thing today? Of course, back then everyone practiced 'en loco parentis'...even if they couldn't pronounce it. :icon_lol:

Fibber
May 27th, 2009, 08:30
B.D.; Does your carrier pidgeon do semaphor while in-flight?:icon_lol:

TR; You forgot that the 5 or ten mile walk was always uphill, even more so in the snow!:icon_lol:

5. emergency call on voice= HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!
ON MORSE; lots of dots and dashes!!!!!!!!!! (...---...:jump:

Tango_Romeo
May 27th, 2009, 09:18
...figure out all those guys yelling 'Mayday, mayday' on the radio. Why would they want to reference May 1st? :173go1:
What do you mean it's the French imperative 'M'aidez' for 'Help me'? Naw, can't be true...them boys was all speaking Amercun. :isadizzy:

Tango_Romeo
May 27th, 2009, 14:25
Still, it's great to see that there are still a few old hands around who remember Morse.
Oh, yes. The job has been filled so we shouldn't suffer any catastrophic loss of files in the future.

...and I needed the extra cash too! :bump: