PDA

View Full Version : TCM Memorial Day weekend

bkeske
May 23rd, 2009, 07:57
For those in the States, TCM (Turner Classic Movies) is airing their traditional marathon of war movies over this Memorial weekend.

Some great old footage of the warbirds we love.

Highly recommended if you have some time to relax and watch.

God Bless those Americans who gave their lives for the freedoms we share today. :medals:

I always make it a point to fly some U.S. military aircraft in FS over this weekend in a small personal symbol and tribute of gratitude. :USA-flag:

Yikes...sorry for the misspelling in the title...if an Administrator could fix that, I would be very appreciative.

Gramps
May 23rd, 2009, 17:23
:ernae:

crashaz
May 23rd, 2009, 18:46
Today I saw
- Flying Tigers
- Back to Bataan
- They Were Expendable
- Battleground
and now - A Walk in the Sun...

upcoming... The Sullivan Brothers

dharris
May 24th, 2009, 07:29
Speaking of films, this offering from HBO films is slightly different. More to remind us of the cost of war especially fitting for Memorial Day. http://www.hbo.com/films/takingchance/video/video.html?maven_playerId=takingchancecoresite&maven_referralObject=3419535&maven_referrer=staf

heywooood
May 24th, 2009, 08:23
Dawn Patrol is on Monday @ 7PM Pacific time - the Errol Flynn - David Niven version..."hurrah for zee next man zat dies"

BananaBob
May 24th, 2009, 08:29
Speaking of films, this offering from HBO films is slightly different. More to remind us of the cost of war especially fitting for Memorial Day. http://www.hbo.com/films/takingchance/video/video.html?maven_playerId=takingchancecoresite&maven_referralObject=3419535&maven_referrer=staf

I watched this movie the other day, cried all day, the most accurate depiction of what a Marine is and stands for, they had to of had real Marines help with the movie because everything was squared away, very touching and humbling movie.

BananaBob
May 24th, 2009, 08:31

I watched this move the other day, cried all day, (yes, Marines shed tears) the most accurate depiction of what a Marine is and stands for, they had to of had real Marines help with the movie because everything was squared away, very touching and humbling movie.

Lateral-G
May 25th, 2009, 06:52
Last night I watched "Above and Beyond" then followed by "The Dambusters".

Great stuff!

-G-

Lateral-G
May 25th, 2009, 06:53
I watched this movie the other day, cried all day, the most accurate depiction of what a Marine is and stands for, they had to of had real Marines help with the movie because everything was squared away, very touching and humbling movie.

A very powerful and moving film. I can proudly say there was not a dry eye to be found when it was over in our house.

-G-

gera
May 25th, 2009, 06:55
Thanks for the tip.............we get it here but I dinīt know they were having such programming over the weekend.....missed all those good old movies!!!!!...love the flying Tigers with John Wayne!!!!!!,,,,geee!:applause::applause::applause:

bkeske
May 25th, 2009, 08:08
'Men of the Fighting Lady' on now...featuring Banshee's.

I had never seen the 'Dambusters' till last night; pretty interesting film, although I was also trying to concentrate on my Cavs getting beat by Orlando at the same time. :banghead:

Cactuskid
May 25th, 2009, 08:19
I'm really looking forward to "Dawn Patrol" tonight. Haven't seen it in years. I really wished that they would show "Strategic Air Command" again. Great old Cold War flick...

Mikrco
May 25th, 2009, 08:33
HBO Films' "Taking Chance" is a must see film - if you have HBO. More background on the film with video clips is available here: http://www.hbo.com/films/takingchance/

bkeske
May 25th, 2009, 08:54
I'm really looking forward to "Dawn Patrol" tonight. Haven't seen it in years. I really wished that they would show "Strategic Air Command" again. Great old Cold War flick...

They show "Strategic Air Command" every once in a while, not sure why it didn't make this weekend airing, except it it not actually an 'active' war movie.

Have a 'soft spot' for that film as my father was a pilot in SAC during the mid to late 50's.

heywooood
May 25th, 2009, 10:09
Jimmy Stewart wore his WWII leather jacket in that film...same as in 'You Gotta Stay Happy'...the same one he had for all 25 of his B-24 missions and in his USAF reserve career.

If you've never seen 'You Gotta Stay Happy' and you are a Jimmy Stewart fan - you need to see it.
aside from a few whacky scenes with a cigar smoking chimp etc. its a great pic with lots of DC-3 flying and Eddie Albert is pretty funny in it - another Veteran