PDA

View Full Version : Another Cat

jeansy
May 23rd, 2009, 01:49
this time a QANTAS post war livery

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/945/qantas2.jpg

once its approved for download which could be tomorrow or 2night
you can get it here> http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?autocom=downloads&showfile=553

(http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?autocom=downloads&showfile=553)

Mithrin
May 23rd, 2009, 01:50
The more the merrier. Keeping an eye on that site on a daily basis anyway.

Antoninus
May 23rd, 2009, 02:01
Great choice and looks very good! I was waiting for this one.

BananaBob
May 23rd, 2009, 03:05
Great job bro, if I had it, I'd get it! :ernae:

Epsillon
May 23rd, 2009, 03:08
Another great one, Matt! :applause::applause::applause:
Thanks a lot.

Stephan

papab
May 23rd, 2009, 03:40
Another great one, Matt! :applause::applause::applause:
Thanks a lot.

Stephan

I agree-Thank you very much
Beautiful paint......

Rick

foreigndevil
May 23rd, 2009, 03:45
Fine skin!

IanP
May 23rd, 2009, 03:46
Very nice repaint... :) :ernae:

Is someone still looking at doing a BOAC one, or did that come to nothing?

HenryW
May 23rd, 2009, 04:30
I agree, its beautifull! :ernae:

Odie
May 23rd, 2009, 05:11
Nice looking....and timely, too. I was watching the PBY episode of Great Planes on the Military Channel the other night and they chronicled Quantas' use of the Cat as an airliner.

Some of those flights still stand today as the longest on record....some lasting 24 hours from point to point. It also remarked how rough it was on the crew and passengers (I believe that it said they carried 3 passengers).

Good episode on the Cat if you happen to catch it.

Dangerous Beans
May 23rd, 2009, 05:28
Is someone still looking at doing a BOAC one, or did that come to nothing?

That was me Ian, still no luck finding any pics or info unfortunatly though.

jeansy
May 23rd, 2009, 05:31
Nice looking....and timely, too. I was watching the PBY episode of Great Planes on the Military Channel the other night and they chronicled Quantas' use of the Cat as an airliner.

Some of those flights still stand today as the longest on record....some lasting 24 hours from point to point. It also remarked how rough it was on the crew and passengers (I believe that it said they carried 3 passengers).

Good episode on the Cat if you happen to catch it.

cheers

i came across this

Catalinas also served a civil role in Australia during the War. A small fleet was operated by Qantas Empire Airways for two years between July 1943 and June 1945. During that period Catalinas undertook 271 ocean crossings between Ceylon and Perth, 3,513 miles (5,653 km) in radio silence, non stop and airborne for up to 31 hours. This incident-free operation was the world's longest non-stop airline sector. Post-war a number of Catalinas were used in commercial operations notably by Qantas, Barrier Reef Airlines and TAA's Sunbird Service.

IanP
May 23rd, 2009, 06:23
That was me Ian, still no luck finding any pics or info unfortunatly though.

Might it be worth trying one just with the standard BOAC markings (as in those used on things like the Avro Yorks, Sandringhams, etc, immediately after the war) as an interim measure until someone can unearth something more accurate? I wouldn't have thought the markings would have been that different from the British-built flying boats?

Anyway, this is dragging the topic off on a tangent so I'll let everyone get back to the QANTAS Cat. :)

Fireball6
May 23rd, 2009, 11:06
matt - what shall i say - simpy great paint ! :applause:

Odie
May 23rd, 2009, 11:20
cheers

i came across this

Catalinas also served a civil role in Australia during the War. A small fleet was operated by Qantas Empire Airways for two years between July 1943 and June 1945. During that period Catalinas undertook 271 ocean crossings between Ceylon and Perth, 3,513 miles (5,653 km) in radio silence, non stop and airborne for up to 31 hours. This incident-free operation was the world's longest non-stop airline sector. Post-war a number of Catalinas were used in commercial operations notably by Qantas, Barrier Reef Airlines and TAA's Sunbird Service.

That's what they were saying, Jeansy ! 31 hours in the air....what a flight!

Matt Wynn
May 23rd, 2009, 11:32
yeah best bet for the Catalina in BOAC sheme is to look at the other seaplanes they operated....

http://www.seawings.co.uk/images/EmpireProfiles%20gal/Latest%20Profiles%20ex%20Mike%20Fletcher/Short_S23_Canopus_after_1940_BOAC_small1.jpg
little to no airline marking except on the nose....

gajit
May 23rd, 2009, 13:18
Great work Jeansy -been flying it for a while - nice work :applause:

Dag
May 23rd, 2009, 23:16
Very nice work Jeansy, very nice :ernae:

Thanks

jeansy
May 23rd, 2009, 23:26
thanks again :icon29: