PDA

View Full Version : Skyraider seized

hews500d
May 21st, 2009, 05:54
Hey everyone, I found this on the Simflight website and wanted to post it here in case some of you don't go over there. Homeland security has seized an AD-4N Skyraider that this individual purchased in France and has brought back to the United States. He's still working on the site and will eventually have a letter that everyone in the US can forward to their representatives to hopefully get it released.

http://www.savetheskyraider.com/site/Welcome.html

Darrell

d0mokun
May 21st, 2009, 06:10
Sorry if it's plainly clear but why was it seized?

Hope it can get out of captivity and back in the skies soon!

Sascha66
May 21st, 2009, 06:24
Maybe because it could still be fitted with bombs? Doesn't make sense to me, with the proliferation of car bombs any car could be seized as a potential security threat!

OBIO
May 21st, 2009, 06:32
I won't comment on Homeland Security because it would be political in nature....and this is not the place for political pontificating.

But, I hope he gets his 'raider back. Such a beautiful beast of a plane.

OBIO

hews500d
May 21st, 2009, 06:48
Maybe because it could still be fitted with bombs? Doesn't make sense to me, with the proliferation of car bombs any car could be seized as a potential security threat!

That's what I'm thinking. Hopefully it's only temporary and they're making sure it's "dis-armed" before releasing it.

Darrell

stiz
May 21st, 2009, 06:49
he mention trans atlantic flight .. think he flew it back and forgot a piece of paperwork?

OBIO
May 21st, 2009, 07:01
The plane is an illegal alien? It don't have a stinkin green card? Planes don't need a stinkin green card, man!

OBIO

Toastmaker
May 21st, 2009, 07:58
It is more likely that certain certifications that the aircraft cannot be armed must be confirmed or established. Minor bureaucratic bump in the road.

cheezyflier
May 21st, 2009, 12:31
pontificating.

http://imblog.aufeminin.com/blog/D20050301/12001_174506783_pope_ready_to_rock_H153451_L.jpg

Bomber_12th
May 21st, 2009, 13:33
To state it simply, the owner, when he flew it into the US, did do all of the paper work necessary, except for one document which he overlooked, which is why Homeland Security feels so compelled to have it locked up. When they first arrived for the aircraft, they even threatened to scrap it, at least that is the report directly from the owner. To me, it sounds like the owner is being made an example of. I believe this has been going on for a month now, even though he has agreed to fill out the document, and may already have. The owner also has a very nice P-51D and AT-6.

Railrunner130
May 21st, 2009, 13:36
I'm not a fan of getting behind a cause when we've only heard half the story. If this is a paperwork/demilling issue, than do it and don't make a big stink about it!

OBIO
May 21st, 2009, 16:27
This thread made me realize that I don't have a Skyraider for FS9...got to go find one.

OBIO

Lionheart
May 21st, 2009, 17:05
If thats what 'really' happend, I think they are being rude about it. Give him the document to fill out, do the paperwork and give him his plane back. Sheesh..

Bill

mrogers
May 21st, 2009, 17:40
Sounds like its over the top...an old plane like that being a security risk? These threats by Homeland Security seem a bit over the top and heavy handed as well. Its a minor paperwork thing that should really be resolved quickly, after all the owner had overlooked just that one document. Gosh..having a them and us attitude doesnt help things at all.

stansdds
May 22nd, 2009, 02:22
DHS can be very heavy handed and if it were up to them, nearly all non-commercial aircraft would be grounded. That being said, if it is just one document being overlooked, DHS will impound the aircraft and maybe even levy a fine against the owner once the document is completed and the aircraft is inspected. If there is any ill intent associated with importing this aircraft... well... lot's of old and classic aircraft seized from smugglers have met the scrapper's torch.

kilo delta
May 22nd, 2009, 05:17
There were no issues with the importation of a pair of Su-27's recently........maybe the Skyraider is seen as a more potent weapons platform!!!!:bump::icon_lol:

stansdds
May 23rd, 2009, 03:47
Well, the Able Dog was certainly an impressive air to ground platform. I seriously doubt that any of this AD's ordnance attachment points still have all the hardware necessary for arming and dropping any ordnance. It most likely is a procedural issue revolving around one incomplete form and we all know that every government's life revolves around forms.