PDA

View Full Version : Big Problems with Nvidia GTX 285 1GB Card & MATROX TH2GO

Les Parson
May 17th, 2009, 04:57
I just received a new custom built Vista-64 rig; i7 940 OC, with 6GB RAM and the NVIDIA GTX 285. After using the MATROX TH2GO for a couple of years, this is definite requirement. While the system was enroute and much to my horror, I learned there are compatibility issues between MATROX TH2GO and GTX 285. Basically, one is not able to come close to the expected resolution; I can't even fill the three monitors !

If there is some sort of work around, I will be very, very grateful if someone could share?

PS - I have three VGA only monitors with a TH2GO Digital Edition.

Thank you again,

Les Parson
<!-- / message -->

jmig
May 17th, 2009, 05:23
I just received a new custom built Vista-64 rig; i7 940 OC, with 6GB RAM and the NVIDIA GTX 285. After using the MATROX TH2GO for a couple of years, this is definite requirement. While the system was enroute and much to my horror, I learned there are compatibility issues between MATROX TH2GO and GTX 285. Basically, one is not able to come close to the expected resolution; I can't even fill the three monitors !

If there is some sort of work around, I will be very, very grateful if someone could share?

PS - I have three VGA only monitors with a TH2GO Digital Edition.

Thank you again,

Les Parson
<!-- / message -->

VGA only??? Do you mean analog? Have you gone the the TH2Go forums? Or maybe you can run with an older driver for the card?

I run analog monitors with a TH2Go (analog) on a 8800GTX without any problems.

hey_moe
May 17th, 2009, 05:47
I'm not having a problem with mine. Using it on all four OS's... Mike

Les Parson
May 17th, 2009, 06:07
Ok, thanks. Sometimes I get at least 3840 x 1024 with three analog monitors; other times (like now) the image won't stretch across the three 19" monitors.

Below is the best information I've been able to locate on the topic:

"Just got off the phone (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1984331#) with Matrox support.

Turns out the GTX285 and 295 have a "known issue"

the driver locks the pixel clock at high resoutions forcing a refresh rate of 48hz

Turns out you were right.

They're working on a fix now, with Nvidia.

Basically the "fix" is nvidia needs to unlock that speed... shouldn't be too difficult just bureaucratic BS."

This is quite a bit over my head; I'm just looking for a fix to this mess.

Thank you for your patience.

Les Parson

<!-- / message -->

harleyman
May 17th, 2009, 10:45
Is your head to go digital and your monitors are all analog?

Les Parson
May 17th, 2009, 12:04
Yes however, it has worked just fine in the past and even a couple of times with the new set-up; but not consistently. The resolution has'nt been as advertised, but was enough to fill the three screens. Now it won't even do that. I do hope I won't have to throw in the towel on this. We just got back from Bestbuy and I was looking at widescreens thinking if forced as an alterntative. I really prefer the TH2GO.

Les Parson

harleyman
May 17th, 2009, 12:13
Why not pull the vid card from your old computer and test it in your new DS rig...If it works then tell DS that they have to offer you a different Vid card that will work..

Trust me..I sent 2 of their rigs back for reasons like this...

BUT...Its a good test..Hopefully you did not get GPU water cooling ...

harleyman
May 18th, 2009, 03:54
So Les...Have you tested with an older vid card to see if its working correct?

Les Parson
May 18th, 2009, 06:31
I attempted to do that however the existing GTX 285 had motherboard attachements that were daunting to me, so I decided not to remove it.

I even took today off so I could talk to a DS technical rep.

harleyman
May 18th, 2009, 08:26
That attachment is just a tab at the back of the PCI-E slot th locks the card in place..

All you do is after removing the two back screws(thumb screws) you pull the tab out releasing the card from the PCI-E slot...It bends out parellel with the mobo....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?ISList=13-128-387-S01%2c13-128-387-S02%2c13-128-387-S04%2c13-128-387-S03%2c13-128-387-S05&S7ImageFlag=1&Item=N82E16813128387&Depa=0&WaterMark=1&Description=GIGABYTE%20GA-MA790X-UD4P%20ATX%20AMD%20Motherboard%20-%20Retail

Look at the blut PCI-E slot..See the lock at the end..That is what releases the card

Les Parson
May 18th, 2009, 15:30
These are like electrodes attached to the card itself; definitely not made to secure the card. I meant to call DS today about it, but did'nt get around to it. I'm going on business trip tomorrow morning till Thursday; guess I'll have to wait till then.

harleyman
May 18th, 2009, 15:43
Hmmm...That card should have a 8 pin and 6 pin power connectoir to it...Is that what you're refering to?

Never heard of some sort of electrode thing there