PDA

View Full Version : Car problem equals potential FS sound pack

OBIO
May 16th, 2009, 18:45
Earlier today, I was heading to the neighboring town to a pet shop to pick up some food for the wife's three Parakeets. Came to the end of our road, and had to wait for traffic to clear so I could turn left onto the road into Ashland. Once the way was clear, I gave my 1996 Chevy Corsica POS as nice healthy stomp on the gas peddle and the little 2.4 litre 4-cylinder sprang to life a bit and off I went. Just as I was getting up to about 30, my exhaust system blew a hole and got noisy. Great...on top of all the other things I don't have money for, now I don't have money for a new exhuast system too!

Well, just a bit ago I had to run into town to pick up some groceries and was driving with the window down, enjoying the smell of the spring air and soil and rain. And I realized that the exhaust tone of my little junker would make a great starting point for a sound pack for small inline engined aircraft...Cessna 140 is the plane that came to mind.

If there was only a way to bribe someone to be strapped up under my car, holding a microphone close to the hole in my exhaust system while I drive at various speeds...I could put together a really really nice sound pack for us all to enjoy.

OBIO

WuhWuzDat
May 16th, 2009, 18:50
May I suggest a non-sentient helper, like duct-tape?

Jeff

cheezyflier
May 16th, 2009, 19:23
nah, look here dude- i have jerry rigged many exhausts, i once had one that was more patches than pipe.

1) get a soup can, or a can of veggies. (those cans are steel)

2) after you dump the contents, cut off the ends with a pair of snips, and cut a slit length-wise down the can.

3) wrap it around the hole in the pipe and fasten it in place with 2 hose clamps.

4) cover it with some muffler tape from pep-boys or auto zone.
your total cost should be less than $10 and it should last for a good while.
if the hole is in the flex joint, this will still work, but you'll have to keep moving the patch back into place, and it won't last as long.

you can also use the soup can to patch muffler and cat holes by riveting it into place.

Lionheart
May 16th, 2009, 19:52
I taped up my BMW exhaust this way (special mud like tape) till I could afford to have the can repaired, (blew up the can joking around. I turned off the ignition on the highway to freak my friend out that we were out of fuel, and when I switched it back on, it backfired and blew out the side of the can.. arrgh.. ).

OBIO,

That would be a cool soundpack. Surely there is a location to hold a Mic up to and record the area sounds. Some good pop's in there would also be nice.

Bill

OBIO
May 16th, 2009, 21:18
That would be a cool soundpack. Surely there is a location to hold a Mic up to and record the area sounds. Some good pop's in there would also be nice.

Bill

Pops I can do...the car also is in need of new plugs and plug wires. The plug or wire for cylinder 4 are really bad. If I drive the car for a while, shot it off, and fire it back up before it is fully cooled off, it misses like the Lindbergh baby (sort in bad taste there wasn't I). I could fire the car up, take it for a short drive, come home, shut down, grab the mic, shove it under the car near the hole in the exhaust, hit RECORD and fire it up. Get the nice turn over sounds, the popping at low RMP, then the cackling at high RPM. And I just realized that my digital camera has a mic on it for capturing sound when taking video. I could set the camera to VIDEO, put in an empty 2 gig stick, hit record and put the motor through its RPM range. Doing it that way, I can take the raw MOV video, convert it to WMV, take it into Windows Movie Maker and save it as an MP3. Then convert the MP3 to a WAV file, take that into my WAV editor, chop it up into the needed parts, then create a sound pack from that.

Now I have something useful to do tomorrow instead of having to spend the entire day cleaning house, doing laundry and grocery shopping.

OBIO

cheezyflier
May 17th, 2009, 12:40
it misses like the Lindbergh baby OBIO

on any forum outside of this one i doubt that most people would have even understood that one, and here, only because of who lindbergh was
(excepting a few of our more "senior" members)

Now I have something useful to do tomorrow instead of having to spend the entire day cleaning house, doing laundry and grocery shopping.

OBIO

it's nice to see a guy with a well thought out plan. priorities are so important :jump:

OBIO
May 17th, 2009, 16:06
Inspite of my high priority for creating a new sound pack for us, my wife rejected my order of things to do today and set me in the direction she wanted me to go and had me running :running: around town most of the day...luckily, I did not cross paths with any cars with flashing lights on the roof. I did manage to get out of doing laundry today :jump: but will have to do it tomorrow unless I can find someplace to hide :kilroy:. I will definitely spend a few minutes tomorrow recording the sounds from the car to turn into a new sound pack....I think this will be a first for flight simming...a Chevy Powered Aircraft.....Cool!

OBIO