PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Bill from Dawsonville

redriver6
May 7th, 2009, 18:15
Bill Elliott will attempt to break his 212 mph qualifying record at Talladega..

http://blog.al.com/blogoftomorrow/2009/05/bill_elliott_will_attempt_to_b.html

Panther_99FS
May 7th, 2009, 19:21
Dang.....
I thought he was gonna be driving a Cup car....:kilroy:

smoores
May 7th, 2009, 21:19
he is crazy

wombat666
May 8th, 2009, 07:09
He was one really good on-track racer, even if he was 'surly' off it.
I do think he should know better than to attempt this stunt........ :isadizzy:

eddie
May 8th, 2009, 13:20
Rusty took his Dodge to Tally back in 2004, removed the restrictor plate and blew Bill's record away! No sure what the point is in doing it again?

http://www.nascar.com/2004/news/headlines/cup/06/10/rwallace_talladega/index.html

redriver6
May 8th, 2009, 19:35
He was one really good on-track racer, even if he was 'surly' off it.
I do think he should know better than to attempt this stunt........ :isadizzy:

Bill Elliot surly??? like when?

wombat666
May 8th, 2009, 22:09
Bill Elliot surly??? like when?

For as long as I can remember.
I will qualify that by saying it never came through in public, but compared to Richard Petty both Bill Elliot and Alan Kulwicki were more than a little unfriendly to the 'fans' .......... even more so than the much missed 'Ironhead'.
:173go1:

EasyEd
May 9th, 2009, 08:51
Hey All,

If Bill was unfriendly - how did he win NASCAR's most popular driver award 16 times. Richard only won it 9 times - the second most of anybody?

That said Bill looks to be doing this in a non-cup car - interesting.

-Ed-

Cazzie
May 9th, 2009, 10:37
Hey All,

If Bill was unfriendly - how did he win NASCAR's most popular driver award 16 times. Richard only won it 9 times - the second most of anybody?

That said Bill looks to be doing this in a non-cup car - interesting.

-Ed-

That's true Ed, the only driver more approachable in NASCAR at the time was "Jaws".

You probably know wombat, but the reason for the Elliott brother's success during the 1985 season was because Ernie happened upon a heap load of Australian Ford 351-cc Windsor blocks. Damn things were indestructible, so much so, NASCAR forbid them from being used after the '85 season and insisted that Ford teams use the Cleveland block after word finally got out. They've been dumbing-down ever since.

Caz