PDA

View Full Version : A lesson that should be taught in all schools and colleges...

GT182
May 7th, 2009, 17:44
Sent to me by email from a Veteran friend. Better Than The Three "Rs"‏

Back in September of 2005, on the first day of school,
Martha Cothren, a social studies school teacher at Robinson High School
in Little Rock , did something not to be forgotten.

On the first day of school, with the permission of the
school superintendent, the principal and the building supervisor, she
removed all of the desks out of her classroom.

When the first period kids entered the room they
discovered that there were no desks.
'Ms. Cothren, where're our desks?'
She replied, 'You can't have a desk until you tell me
what you have done to earn the right to sit at a desk.'
They thought, 'Well, maybe it's our grades.'
'No,' she said.
'Maybe it's our behavior.'
She told them, 'No, it's not even your behavior.'
And so, they came and went, the first period, second
period, third period.. Still no desks in the classroom.

By early afternoon television news crews had started
gathering in Ms.Cothren's classroom to report about this crazy teacher
who had taken all the desks out of her room.

The final period of the day came and as the puzzled
students found seats on the floor of the deskless classroom, Martha
Cothren said, 'Throughout the day no one has been able to tell me just
what he/she has done to earn the right to sit at the desks that are
ordinarily found in this classroom. Now I am going to tell you.'

At this point, Martha Cothren went over to the door of
her classroom and opened it. Twenty-seven (27) U.S. . Veterans, all
in uniforms, walked into that classroom, each one carrying a school
desk.

The Vets began placing the school desks in rows, and then
they would walk over and stand alongside the wall. By the time the
last soldier had set the final desk in place those kids started to
understand, perhaps for the first time in their lives, just how the
right to sit at those desks had been earned.

Martha said, 'You didn't earn the right to sit at these
desks. These heroes did it for you. They placed the desks here for you.
Now, it's up to you to sit in them. It is your responsibility to
learn, to be good students, to be good citizens. They paid the price so
that you could have the freedom to get an education. Don't ever forget
it.

By the way, this is a true story.

Please consider passing it along so others won't forget that the freedoms we have in this great country were earned by Veterans.

tigisfat
May 7th, 2009, 19:08
this never happened.

patsytwo
May 7th, 2009, 19:44
:engel016:http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/s/school-desks.htm (http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/s/school-desks.htm):engel016:

djscoo
May 7th, 2009, 20:12
Did this happen afterwards?

QhTiJEYqqY8

tigisfat
May 7th, 2009, 21:17
I don't know how we could ever accept another internet news source that calls itself "truth or fiction" as the decider. I certainly hope this never happened. If it did, then I'm very dissapointed.

tigisfat
May 7th, 2009, 21:40

Wittpilot
May 8th, 2009, 04:58
Simply google "Martha Cothren, a social studies school teacher at Robinson High School".....

johnh_049
May 8th, 2009, 05:01
I don't know how we could ever accept another internet news source that calls itself "truth or fiction" as the decider. I certainly hope this never happened. If it did, then I'm very dissapointed.

so, be dissappointed.

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/nodesks.asp

Wittpilot
May 8th, 2009, 05:11
I hope this thread doesn't get closed... but if it should, I think it might just be for the better... the story was told, I enjoyed it.... Thanks Gary.... Made my day better... I guess it means something different for those of us who whole heartedly understand the sacrifices made by so many... I suppose that is why both you and I Gary, enjoy working for the organizations we do.... It is the best way I can think of to honor them.......

"Keep 'em Flying"
-witt

Snuffy
May 8th, 2009, 05:39
And from me ... a Big Hearty THANK YOU to all the veterans past and present for my freedom!

We still need a saluting smilely. :salute:!!

safn1949
May 8th, 2009, 10:01
I think that is outstanding.....people take too much for granted and don't think of the sacrifices that veterans made and continue to make.I never went to war but I spent 2 years in a M60A1 MBT in Germany.My dad spent 3 years in hell aboard the USS Phoenix CL-46 during WW2 so my useless brother can sit on his duff and drink himself to death in freedom.

Like the man said..so be disappointed :USA-flag:

djscoo
May 8th, 2009, 10:11
I don't need a piece of jingoistic propaganda to get me to be thankful for veterans. I doubt the events went down exactly as written, and have yet to see the news reports mentioned in the story...

n4gix
May 8th, 2009, 10:32
I don't need a piece of jingoistic propaganda to get me to be thankful for veterans. I doubt the events went down exactly as written, and have yet to see the news reports mentioned in the story...

http://standard.arkansasonline.com/news/2007/may/20/sweet-tea-lesson-they-will-remember-20070520/

djscoo
May 8th, 2009, 10:36
http://standard.arkansasonline.com/news/2007/may/20/sweet-tea-lesson-they-will-remember-20070520/

it costs $1.95 to view the story...unfortunately I don't care that much.:running:

TARPSBird
May 8th, 2009, 13:31
Tig,
Just curious...assuming the classroom story did actually happen as described, why would you be disappointed?

MCDesigns
May 8th, 2009, 14:53
Tig,
Just curious...assuming the classroom story did actually happen as described, why would you be disappointed?

I'm wondering that as well.

Great story, I agree, needs to be done in all schools.

"jingoistic propaganda"?? really sad that a 17 yr old sees it as that.

N2056
May 8th, 2009, 16:22

Having spent 10 years 'in uniform' I tend to agree.

safn1949
May 8th, 2009, 17:21
it costs $1.95 to view the story...unfortunately I don't care that much.:running:

And it shows.I really don't mean to be impolite and moderators please feel free to edit this if you feel I crossed the line.So at 17, living in a free society on the sacrifices of others,what do you care about? Read about it here http://www.cmohs.org/ at the Medal of Honor site.You will never be the same after you see what these men did for you.

Panther_99FS
May 8th, 2009, 18:31
:medals:...Past, Present, & Future....

GT182
May 8th, 2009, 19:30
Yeah Witt... that IS the reason. Besides, it's more fun than staying home to play on the computerr. ;) Besides, I get to go for real warbird rides.... fer free. :d

TARPSBird
May 8th, 2009, 19:43
I figured somebody would address the "jingoistic propaganda" comment.
;)

GT182
May 8th, 2009, 19:59
True or not I'd like to give her a big hug.

I've been asked to Delete this thread, but I'll not do it nor ask for it to be deleted. If someone doesn't like it then don't read it. It's about time kids today are taught manners and respect. We had to learn them when we were growing up, it's time they did too. You can sit back and watch the news and say "Oh my that young fella is going to jail because he shot someone and was caught selling drugs". Or just he wanted that car Mrs. So and So was driving so he carjacked it. Horse Hockey, if he'd been taught respect, manners and what's right from wrong, his dumb a** wouldn't be in that predicament. Ms. Cothren should be given a medal as far as I'm concerned.

End of Rant!

tigisfat
May 8th, 2009, 21:23
True or not I'd like to give her a big hug.

I've been asked to Delete this thread, but I'll not do it nor ask for it to be deleted. If someone doesn't like it then don't read it. It's about time kids today are taught manners and respect. We had to learn them when we were growing up, it's time they did too. You can sit back and watch the news and say "Oh my that young fella is going to jail because he shot someone and was caught selling drugs". Or just he wanted that car Mrs. So and So was driving so he carjacked it. Horse Hockey, if he'd been taught respect, manners and what's right from wrong, his dumb a** wouldn't be in that predicament. Ms. Cothren should be given a medal as far as I'm concerned.

End of Rant!

It's not about the teacher or the lesson, it's about the people who took part in it. You're right, children do need a lesson in not only thankfulness, but to stand up and contribue to what they've given when it's their turn to carry the torch. Being in the military, especially in an active job, is very humbling. I can't understand the mindset of any self-respecting veteran who would put on their uniform to drive to a school to tell kids "yeah, you should thank me because I'm a hero". Every vet of war I know, including myself, would consider the humiliation almost unbearable to be compared to men who've given their lives. TARPS, MCDesigns, that's why I'm dissapointed in these men.

The "jingoistic propaganda" is somewhat true. Before September 11th, my fellow airmen and I, while travelling, were spit on at Denver Intl. Noone stood up for us, they just watched the spectacle unfold. What could I do, fight the guy? I was in my blues. I don't think we have that problem in this forum community, but watching the droves of fair weather patriots pop up over the last so many years has made me feel mixed emotions. Things are much different now than they used to be and I can't help but wonder when meeting a loud patriot if they've been loyal to their country for the long haul. I guess it's better than no patriotism, though.

One of the reasons I like to keep coming back here is because most people here seem like those of conviction and steadfast opinions.

tigisfat
May 8th, 2009, 21:28

Having spent 10 years 'in uniform' I tend to agree.

Let's not play him wrong like that. He's just saying that he doesn't need someone to tell him to be patriotic, he already is patriotic and thankful.

And it shows.I really don't mean to be impolite and moderators please feel free to edit this if you feel I crossed the line.So at 17, living in a free society on the sacrifices of others,what do you care about? Read about it here http://www.cmohs.org/ (http://www.cmohs.org/) at the Medal of Honor site.You will never be the same after you see what these men did for you.

Good sir, you've really misunderstood him and I think you should re-read what he said. He's said that he's patriotic and thankful in this very thread. He's also expressed a desire to serve his country when old enough in previous threads. Thank you for the link though, there's some good stuff there.

wombat666
May 8th, 2009, 21:59
I often think we Aussies must be doing it all wrong.

Only a couple of weeks ago, April 25 to be exact, I was struck by the increasing number of young people, anywhere between age 5 and 25, attending the ANZAC Day Dawn Service and/or joining in the march to the Shrine of Remembrance for further memorial services.

Almost all have taken a place in their Great Grandfather's, Grandfather's or Father's unit block, wearing decorations awarded to relatives departed and in many cases known only via photographs and oral 'Family Histories'.
Many march proudly alongside their surviving relations, while all are aware of the respect due to ex-service men and women, and understand the reasons for paying them that respect.

I was very proud and humbled to have my 17 year old nephew join the Viet Nam veterans group with me.
He's become very interested in military history and can more than hold his own ground in a sensible conversation with any adult, be they civilian or veteran.
I have no doubt Mick will become a serving member of the ADF, and both myself and my brother will back him all the way.
He may decide to follow another path as a civilian, either way he has earned my respect.

As I mentioned above, we must have done something wrong, so many children and young adults display respect and pride for veterans without the need for 'patriotic jingoism'.
:medals:

tigisfat
May 8th, 2009, 22:13
Wombat, it's always enjoyable to hear a man from anywhere speak of pride for his country. It reminds me how similar people from different places really can be. Well; that and we all like airplanes.:bump:

I must question the character and intent of anyone who doesn't like where they are from but can leave and doesn't.

safn1949
May 9th, 2009, 03:28
Let's not play him wrong like that. He's just saying that he doesn't need someone to tell him to be patriotic, he already is patriotic and thankful.

Good sir, you've really misunderstood him and I think you should re-read what he said. He's said that he's patriotic and thankful in this very thread. He's also expressed a desire to serve his country when old enough in previous threads. Thank you for the link though, there's some good stuff there.

Oh I don't know about that,it really is a simple question.What do you care about? This young man doesn't have to answer me,again that whole free society thing,but here is a chance to clearly state his views.

That is the beautiful thing about free speech,the ability to disagree politely and ask for further discussion. One thing I tell people is free speech also applies to speech you don't like or agree to.I think the key here is politely.

jmig
May 9th, 2009, 05:52
... One thing I tell people is free speech also applies to speech you don't like or agree to.I think the key here is politely.

IMHO Free Speech in the US has often been a myth. I cite Sen. Joe McCarthy and the recent events following the Miss USA pageant as only two examples of what I am talking about.

For the record I also liked the story. I see no conflict of interest with the vets helping. They weren't asking for praise no more than the vets who march in parades are asking for praise. They were helping to teach a often forgotten or ignored truth about freedom.

Willy
May 9th, 2009, 10:28
I'm retired Navy and liked the story myself. Today's view towards veterans is a refreshing relief from when I first joined the Navy at the very tail end of VietNam.

cheezyflier
May 9th, 2009, 12:46
I must question the character and intent of anyone who doesn't like where they are from but can leave and doesn't.

i have said in the past that anytime you really want to learn a deep appreciation for your country, just live for a while somewhere else. if that don't do it, nuthin will.

***there are a few countries where that wouldn't work, i realize, but y'all get my drift

n4gix
May 10th, 2009, 06:12

I didn't expect you to buy the article. The point was that the story was published by a reputable news organization. The synopsis given was more than enough to support the verity of the story. :173go1:

tigisfat
May 10th, 2009, 08:30
***there are a few countries where that wouldn't work, i realize, but y'all get my drift

I know what you mean, but I travel alot and I get my fill of even the most advanced and 'US-like' countries. Usually I can't wait to come back to the states.

I love the time I spend in England, but navigating by car there could be taught in graduate school.

Henry
May 10th, 2009, 09:43
I know what you mean, but I travel alot and I get my fill of even the most advanced and 'US-like' countries. Usually I can't wait to come back to the states.

I love the time I spend in England, but navigating by car there could be taught in graduate school.
As i am British and learned to navigate in High School
there, i still do not disagree with that comment:kilroy:
Having lived in the US for the past 25 years
i sure as hill will not drive there now:icon_lol:
as far as pride for my Country
I am proud to be British and by the same token
Proud to live in the US and to be a part of it.
As far as Vets go i remember the old saying
over sexed, over paid and over here!
but England would not be the same today
if it where not for all the Countries
throughout the world who sacrificed
and then Later wars who where enemy's in WW2
where side by side then:applause:
Patriotic Im an Ex Pat or so i am called
Im Patriotic to the people who
who help unselfishly the "free World"
and extremely Grateful :medals:
H