PDA

View Full Version : Flying Stations Westland Wyvern

3/7charlie
May 7th, 2009, 06:32
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=post1 vAlign=top>

<!--$ author[field_1]-->http://209.85.12.232/style_images/1/spacer.gif
</TD><TD class=post1 vAlign=top width="100%"><!-- THE POST 2005915 -->Good day; gentlemen!

My own weird personal mania has allways been for RN machines and ships,as a modeler, and later as an area of proffesional and academic study. so I was beyond thrilled to come across the Seahawk and Wyvern at Flying Stations. Then the Ark! Soon the VIC! YAAAHOOO! Get over there and check it out. If you have a yah-yah on for FAA, or want to drive something really loud, pugnacious and aggressive,the Wyvern is a must.
I was fourtunate enough to cut my teeth as an apprentice Erk on CWH's Firefly, and a pair of Seafuries, and then went on to 11 years fire bombing, mostly on Stoofs and 'Sixes. I'm now retired from wrenching, and live vicariously through Simming.
I am running all of it in VISTA( And I'm about ready to take up the rusty screw driver and gut that and install XP) , FSX SP1, on a bog standard sony VGN-NR120E laptop. The only problems I've encounterd on the Wyvern has been an opaque canopy in VC , and no canopy showing on the external model.
The Wyvern's opaque canopy in VC was fixed by poaching and renaming an alternate glass dds. file. a bit hit and miss, but it works and flies great. No sweat at all getting her aboard the Ark. Now if some one could point me to the mess...
Sliders at mid way, getting 20-25 FPS. Not bad for my system.
About the Wyvern canopy. The canopy does show as the model is loading, then right at the end of the load cycle, I think when the alpha channel comes in, the canopy vanishes. I know this is VISTA glitch. any thoughts about how to rectify it?
The Seahawk works great! No bugs at all.
My eternal thanks to the crew over at Flying stations for some fantastic freeware. Do check out the Buccaneer S.1 under development there. That looks like its going to be a very sweet Bannana.

Mike, AKA 3/7charlie, Langley, B.C.

<!-- THE POST --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

SpaceWeevil
May 7th, 2009, 14:38
Probably not the answer you're looking for, but the Wyvern works perfectly on my Vista PC - but that's with FSX SP2. I guess there's a reason why you're sticking with SP1, but SP2 did the trick for me.

3/7charlie
May 7th, 2009, 15:11
Hey spaceweevil.
Yah,thanks. that seems to be the consensus, though I've not bothered with SP2 yet due to reported issues with ported models, but I'll give it a go.iI'd hate to loose Ito's Barracuda or Gannet. Thanks.
3/7charlie

thedude247
May 7th, 2009, 15:30
How come it ain't for FS2004 as well?:kilroy:

djscoo
May 7th, 2009, 15:49
How come it ain't for FS2004 as well?:kilroy:
Because FS9 is the past, and FSX is the future...:kilroy:

Roger
May 7th, 2009, 16:12
Freeware developers make the aircraft they want to and for the sim they want to! I for one am glad for any FsX native aircraft that developers offer us.

Rich
May 7th, 2009, 16:15
3/7charlie, Mr Ito's Barracuda and Gannet work but with Prop transparency problems, it is in the model and no amount of texture swapping will fix it, the canopies are fine on his models but they all have the same prop problem.

No problems with Wyvern canopy on my set up

thedude247
May 7th, 2009, 17:20
Still, it's a little unfair.:isadizzy:

Prowler1111
May 7th, 2009, 18:42
No itīs not..honestly....

Rich
May 7th, 2009, 19:02
Still, it's a little unfair.:isadizzy:

What is ? Why ?

SpaceWeevil
May 8th, 2009, 02:49
3/7charlie, Mr Ito's Barracuda and Gannet work but with Prop transparency problems, it is in the model and no amount of texture swapping will fix it, the canopies are fine on his models but they all have the same prop problem.

No problems with Wyvern canopy on my set up

I read in another thread that darkening the alpha channel of the prop can help disguise the problems - DXTBmp can export the alpha channel to an editor and then re-import the modified one. It might not work on all models but may be worth a try

3/7charlie
May 8th, 2009, 06:18
I suppose the ultimate cure for ported A/C in FSX is to get to grips with the development tools and start modeling airplanes. For my self,though, I've too many hobbies and projects. And I was so %&*$@?! annoyed with blender after trying to sus that out that there were a few moments where any computing device more advanced than an abacuss was in mortal danger of of ending up on the 100 meter post at the range. SP2 did cure the glass up, but I did have to dash out and get a new graphics card. I jumped from 2002PE to FSX and am loving it. Now if I can get vista to like AI carriers. The hardware is advancing these days at a rate that makes 'pooters that crank FSX very quickly. Even with all the minor annoyances built into VISTA, the whole mess has been faster and more stable than XP/FS2002, and free from the 10,000 screaming agonies that filled up the XP/2004 forums a while back. Window 7 is going to be the same thing, simply due to the legacy nature of billybobs code. I mean, widows code is so bloody antiquated that I'm convinced that the earliest versions were writen on clay in cunniform. One day, though, I'm going to have to sit down and learn to use the tooling, as I really want to get a Seagull ASR.1 and a Convair Tradewind onto the hard drive.

3/7charlie
Master of, slave to, and victim of the machine.