PDA

View Full Version : My e-mail to Sears

Trans_23
May 4th, 2009, 19:05
I bought a tool chest from Sears....well the e-mail to Brian, an assistant manger at Sears in Orland Park, IL explains it all.

Brian,
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Since I cannot seem to get anyone from your department to return my calls or give me any answers, I thought I would try the digital route.
On March 1 I bought a rolling 5 drawer tool chest and a 5 drawer ball bearing tool chest that sits on top of the rolling chest. They were not in stock and were ordered on March 1. On around March 6<SUP>th</SUP> someone called to say that my order arrived and I drove up there the following Saturday to pick them up. When I arrived, only the roller chest had arrived at which time I met you. You apologized for the inconvenience and deducted another 10% from the sale price which I received once I picked up the 5 drawer chest the following Thursday. Now, here is where it get frustrating.
On March 14, I took the 5 drawer chest out of the box and carefully stocked and labeled all the drawers with my tools. I even spent another $170 or so at the Orland Sears for socket and wrench organizers, magnetic labels, Craftsman drawer liners, etc. After getting it all set up and the unit pushed into place I stood back to admire my new tool chest and noticed that the top 5 drawer chest was leaning to the left. It was not built square. I asked a friend that had stopped over to look at it and he saw it also.
I dreaded the thought of emptying out all my tools and driving back into Orland Park to exchange my toolbox so on or about Wednesday March 18, I call the number on the card you gave me and talked to Brian H. who told me that I didn’t have to bring it in right away and that he would order a new one and the exchange could be made when the new box came in. He indicated that it was too late in the week for it to get on the truck but that I should get a call the following Wednesday (Mar 25) to pick up my new tool box.
Well, one week went by, then a second. Now we are into April. This is the part where shopping at Orland Sears will never again happen for me. I started to call the number on your card (708-403-xxxx) and the Orland Sears number from the phone book. Calling your number would get me a computer generated voice message telling me that someone would return my call within 60 minutes. Never happened. I did get returns on some of the calls well after the 60 minutes and usually after I had left the house. Another time I did talk to someone who said he was going to the warehouse to see if my order was there, then never returned (not for at least 10 minutes anyway). What you, at the Orland Sears, can be most proud of is when you call the public phone number and immediately get put on hold never to be heard from again. This probably happened 3 or 4 Times. Never even anyone picking up the phone to ask who I was waiting for. What great customer service. You all must be so proud.
To my surprise, on about the 23<SUP>rd</SUP> of April, I finally got a hold of a real person. I talked to Ralph who initially was reluctant to help and wanted me to call back to talk to Brian H. on Monday. I guess my story of woe made him feel for me and he called me back and said that another order was going to be put in for my tool box and that I should be hearing from someone in a week to come and pick it up. That was 10 days ago so tonight I called again and what do you know I got Ralph on the phone again. I told Ralph that I have not heard from anyone about when I should come and get my tool chest. He did remember talking with me and seemed baffled at the situation and took my cell phone number and told me he would get back to me when he found out what was going on with my order. Guess what Brian, that was about 5 hours ago. Does the Orland Sears still use carrier pigeons to send in orders? I would like to think the ordering system Sears uses is all computerized and the status of an order could be located with a few touches of the keyboard. I am beginning to think otherwise though. I remember when I was a kid, we had a Sears Catalog store in town. Though we were all Chicago Bears fans most of the kids would be wearing sweatshirts or jerseys from the San Francisco 49ers or New Orleans Saints because Sears couldn’t get a team sports order right if their life depended on it. It seems things have not improved over the past 30 plus years.
I have repeated this story many times over now to friends, family, and co-workers which is why I can provide a pretty accurate timeline. It is really laughable sometimes. I would think that especially at that store that the customer service would be top notch. I, and many others I know, avoid Orland Park like the plague due to the traffic nightmare it is. Especially on weekends.
I have always preferred buying Craftsman tools whenever possible because of the quality and reasonable price. I have always wanted to get a Craftsman tool chest also so this was all kind of like a mini-dream come true for me (yes I know it sounds silly). This whole experience has made me wish I had purchased somewhere else. I just can’t believe that two months after I made the initial purchase that I would be writing an e-mail to get what I paid for.
<o:p></o:p>
Regards,
<o:p></o:p>
Dan Jones<o:p></o:p>

Willy
May 4th, 2009, 19:47
I quit buying Craftsman tools years ago when Sears wouldn't replace a broken 7/16 Craftsman socket. Come to think of it, I haven't bought anything at Sears since.

TARPSBird
May 4th, 2009, 20:10
Sears customer service is poor. When I've been in the tool/hardware department all the sales personnel act like you're invisible. I don't want people clinging on me while I'm browsing, but an occasional "Can I help you?" would be nice.

tigisfat
May 4th, 2009, 21:33
I don't think you accomplished anything other than making yourself feel better with this letter. Remember, people these days 'just don't wanna be hassled' and also can't take any sort of embarassment caused by bowing to a customer. With this correspondence, you only hassled them further and made them more reluctant to help you. Noone there has any buy-in on your situation, noone cares and I can assure you that there is no enforcement of customer service policys in store. Right now, they are hoping you dissapear so that they can go back to wondering why they aren't rich, and why they're still working in the job they don't like.

Trans_23
May 5th, 2009, 01:32
I don't think you accomplished anything other than making yourself feel better with this letter. Remember, people these days 'just don't wanna be hassled' and also can't take any sort of embarassment caused by bowing to a customer. With this correspondence, you only hassled them further and made them more reluctant to help you. Noone there has any buy-in on your situation, noone cares and I can assure you that there is no enforcement of customer service policys in store. Right now, they are hoping you dissapear so that they can go back to wondering why they aren't rich, and why they're still working in the job they don't like.
What would make me feel even better is if I could find a corporate e-mail address to send the letter to.

stansdds
May 5th, 2009, 02:05
Sears and Craftsman tools used to be the best, lifetime guarantee. I actually had to exchange a broken socket back in the late 80's. The salesmen took the broken one and handed me a new one, no charge and no questions asked. Like many other good things, Craftsman quality has come to its end.

hey_moe
May 5th, 2009, 02:29
Dan, I have a suggestion and you might not want to go in this direction. Write a letter to the BBB and let them know everything that has happened. Matter of fact just do a copy and paste of the letter. Sears does not want that on there record. It might take 4 to 6 weeks but I guarantee you once the letter goes to corporate they will pick up the phone and tell them to handle it and the customer had better not call again about this subject. You might think it is a waste of time but all large retail companies are a members of the BBB and to be a member you have to agree to take care of the customer one way or another.All of this can be done on line. Example: I have wrote a complaint against Dell,Verizon,Sears..ect..ect. It took 17 letters in the year of 01 to get Dell to replace the computer...lol. They first said they would not replace the computer...this went on for a while and I listen to one excuse after another, Finally after almost a year I got a phone call for a big cheese and he said what can they do to get me to stop writing them letters to the BBB...I said replace the computer, 2 days later I had a brand new one on my front porch along with a return ticket to where they had to come to my house to pick up the old one. I am the type a-hole that will file a complaint once a month and if that doesn't get results I'll file one once a week...Mike

Railrunner130
May 5th, 2009, 03:32
I had Sears service my Samsung refrigerator. BTW- Never buy a Samsung refrigerator. Nobody services them. My experience was much worse than yours and cost me about $1000 and two months to get a $50 part replaced. I dropped them a lovely letter (yours was more kind than mine) and never heard a word from them. My parents purchased a really nice stove for me and my wife as a wedding gift from Sears against my better judgment (they asked first). I was no-showed by the repairman a few times (and blown days off from work) before several blistering calls to what could loosely be called "Customer Service" and a few more e-mails resulted in a repairman finally showing up. He fixed it, but it's acting up again and I can feel my blood pressure increasing.....

GT182
May 5th, 2009, 04:38
Been thru the same with a Compac computer I bought in 2000 from Sears. Just before the warranty expired it died. Then the fun with Sears began trying to get a replacement. 3 months later a refurbished Presario came that ended up a piece of crap and they wouldn't touch it. It wasn't even equal to the one we'd first bought. I've another nightmare with them I won't even get into..... that was started by the ex and is still an ongoing thing after 19 years. I stay away from Sears as much as humanly possible.

Snuffy
May 5th, 2009, 04:57
You could always try to drop the 5 drawer box on the offset corner and see if you can square it up ...

:wavey:

I'm being stupid of course ... I know it can and does get frustrating when customer service doesn't work like its supposed to.

cheezyflier
May 5th, 2009, 06:23
i have had both good and bad experiences with sears.
there have been several times when i sawed off a wrench to make an emergency crow's foot to finish a job, then took it back and had it replaced with a new one. when my tape measures get cracked or the spring gets weak, i cut the end off and take them back, no sweat.

once i took back a 3/8" drive wrench that was slipping, and they handed me a plastic envelope with a new drive in it and told me to replace it. i walked back, got a new drive, and i handed my old one to the boy at the counter. i told him "i bought my tools to fix things, not so i could fix them. here, you fix it and pass it to someone else" then i walked out.

srgalahad
May 5th, 2009, 08:16
Trans_23, try this one:
National Customer Relations 1-800-549-4505

This is listed on the Sears site under "contacts". Also, here's a link to the Sears Site Customer Service dept. Cut/paste your email along with other comments. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/nb_10153_12608_NB_CSeMail?adCell=W3

If you don't get a response in a reasonable time, copy it all to the "file a complaint" link on this page:
http://chicago.bbb.org/

"Your complaint will be forwarded to the company within two business days. The company will be asked to respond within 14 days, and if a response is not received, a second request will be made. You will be notified of the company's response when we receive it (or notified that we received no response). Complaints are usually closed within 30 calendar days."

and be prepared to push the issue - not just because of your toolbox - here's a couple of links that might be worth looking at:
http://www.illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/consumers/

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/resources/il/
(note: the last one is not a government agency but has some interesting reading...)

Sears, headquartered in Chicago, is governed by the laws of the State of IL, and as a resident you have an "inside line". Any hint that you will proceed up the line to the State AG should motivate them to resolve the issue.

One of the biggest issues with customer service is that the customer usually gives up too soon... then the company "wins".

"Illegitimus non carborundum"

GT182
May 5th, 2009, 08:24
Trans_23, try this one:

Those will all get their attention. and fast too. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/GT182/Thumbup.gif

Trans_23
May 5th, 2009, 12:50
I got a call about 2:15 Pm today. I didn't have my phone on me so Brian (the assistant manager I e-mailed) left a message saying that they had both tool chests in the store with a new receipt generated for me along with a $25 gift card. He also left me his personal cell number in case I got no answer from the Sears phones.
I guess I better head up there and get the stuff while the iron is hot. I still hate the thought of emptying out the tool chest and driving to Orland Park. The town is one giant mall and the soccer moms just can't stay away no matter how hard they try. You could never tell we are in a recession by driving into that town.
I would like to thank everyone that gave me some good advice. Moe, I hadn't even thought about the BBB and if this all turns to crap again I will certainly pursue that avenue along srgalahad's options. It is a shame that another great American institution has went into the crapper. I used to like Sears.

TARPSBird
May 5th, 2009, 15:08
Trans_23,
Fight the traffic, go to Sears, exchange your items for the new items, insure that the new items are in good shape with no defects, get your $25 gift card, and be done with it before "Brian" goes underground again or gets selective amnesia. :d Also, use up the gift card before they start taking money off it.
P.S. I could use a pair of vise grips.;)

GT182
May 5th, 2009, 16:06
Yeah Dan, get it while it's hot and before they lose it into someone else's car, and buy beer with the gift card to celebrate screwing you over again. ;)

cheezyflier
May 5th, 2009, 16:27
Trans_23,
Fight the traffic, go to Sears, exchange your items for the new items, insure that the new items are in good shape with no defects, get your $25 gift card, and be done with it before "Brian" goes underground again or gets selective amnesia. :d Also, use up the gift card before they start taking money off it.
P.S. I could use a pair of vise grips.;)

about the best you could expect. bring a square with you and check the box right then and there. i would. if you don't own one, tell them to get a carpenter's square from the tool dept.

robert41
May 5th, 2009, 16:46
I bought my first and last tool box from Sears about 15 years. A large roll cabinet, lots of room for everything. When I assembled it, I found the bottom drawer would not close on one end, and the other drawers were hard to open and close. Took it back and got a refund. Customer service was good, product was not.

Willy
May 5th, 2009, 17:25
Glad it's gotten resolved.

One of the things that bothered me about Sears is when I'd go to pay for something with cash, they wanted my name, address and phone number.

EasyEd
May 5th, 2009, 18:12
Hey All,

Sears - So back in about 1976 or 77 my girlfriend at the time got me a sears toolbox - small one - with sockets and wrenches an screwdrivers an stuff like that. The tools and the box have been great. Still have the box - rusty top - an all and a lot of the tools - many have gotten "lost" or "traded" by my sons but I still have a lot of the original stuff. All good all solid. No complaints from me about sears quality - at least the stuff from the 70s.

-Ed-

cheezyflier
May 6th, 2009, 07:06
i built my own roll around chest about 10 years ago. it doesn't have fancy drawers on ball bearing slides, but it is made out of 14GA black iron, has a recessed lock, my own custom paint job ( green metal flake) and is covered with a bunch of cool stickers. i made 14 others as strongboxes for brooks armored car, and when we delivered them, i kept the prototype for my own use. good luck to anyone who would want to break into it in a hurry. :icon_lol: i'll probably pass that box to my son one day.

Tom Clayton
May 7th, 2009, 08:58
Glad it's gotten resolved.

One of the things that bothered me about Sears is when I'd go to pay for something with cash, they wanted my name, address and phone number.
Tell them your first name is Cash and your last name is Customer. Then give them the store's address. If they don't like that, ask them if they like your money or not.

GT182
May 7th, 2009, 10:59

All they want that for is to send you junk mail and hound you with phone calls for crap you don't want.

cheezyflier
May 7th, 2009, 12:57
All they want that for is to send you junk mail and hound you with phone calls for crap you don't want.

that's why i always give them the munster's adress, and jenny's phone #
(867-5309) from the tommy tutone song.

Trans_23
May 7th, 2009, 13:21
The rest of the story is...
I unloaded all the tools from the 5 drawer chest and loaded it up in the truck. I went into the customer pickup area and told a lady that I was there to pick up a tool box. After punching my phone number into the computer she said your tool boxes ready to load up. I told her that I was just exchanging the top 5 drawer chest and briefly told her about what was going on. She the proceeded to tell me that Brian must be giving me a whole new set (top & bottom) for my troubles. There was also an envelope taped to one of the boxes with my gift card and a newly generated cash receipt for the roller chest and the top 5 drawer chest. Had I not taken in my out-of-square box in I would now have two complete Craftsman tool chests. As it stands now, I have an extr 5 drawer rolling chest I am not sure what to do with. I guess I could take it back to Sears and tell them to give me my money back. :bump:

Here is a picture of the two tool boxes...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/Trans_23/toolbbox.jpg

robert41
May 7th, 2009, 15:46
Quite true Ed. I have a handfull of Craftsman tools fromtheearly to mid 70's, and the quality seems better than now. Never had any problems exchanging tools at our local Sears store, its just a pain in the butt getting in and out of there, the store is in a mall.
Glad everything worked out Trans_23.

PRB
May 7th, 2009, 16:10
Here’s my Sears story. I bought a new refrigerator upon moving into my new house, next day delivery. The next day came and went and I called them. They said my fridge was damaged and it would be two weeks before another one could be delivered. Two weeks!?! Hells Bells, my beer would be warm in two weeks! I told them to cancel the order, and I would just drive back to the store and order another one for another next day delivery (two weeks!) She said she couldn’t so that over the phone, and I would have to go to the store I originally bought it from. So I drove to the store, found the guy I bought the fridge from, and asked him to cancel my previous order, so I could buy another one with another next day delivery. He spent over an hour on the phone fighting with his own Sears people, going through what we put up with. It was beautiful. So I got my new fridge the next day. Two weeks later I start getting phone calls from Sears asking when I want them to deliver my new fridge. I tried to tell them I already had it, but they were very insistent. I’m convinced I could have received two fridges for the price of one!

Glad they made you happy, Trans.

cheezyflier
May 8th, 2009, 06:39
So I got my new fridge the next day. Two weeks later I start getting phone calls from Sears asking when I want them to deliver my new fridge. I tried to tell them I already had it, but they were very insistent. I’m convinced I could have received two fridges for the price of one!

Glad they made you happy, Trans.

i have a buddy who went through something similar with dell. they insisted that he have an extra 21" monitor, so he said "hmmm, who am i to fight with them?" :icon_lol: