PDA

View Full Version : I died tonight

jmig
May 4th, 2009, 17:46
Was doing T&Gs in the pattern with the Iris, advanced T-6 II. I got slow on final and overshot a bit. Tightened up the turn and the stall warning went off. I pushed the PCL forward and before I could do anything else, I was upside down and heading toward the ground.

Funny, I knew I would die. I realized that being upside down I couldn't eject. Nothing to do but watch the ground come to you.

It really was a strange feeling.

GT182
May 4th, 2009, 17:50
That's the great thing about flightsimming John. Your screwups aren't permanently fatal..... you get to do them all over again. ;) I can't count how many times I've crashed and burned, and I don't want too. LOL At least I'm getting a bit better and do it less often these days. So far I've lived thru every landing in the Air Factory F-4. :d

spotlope
May 4th, 2009, 17:51
You'll be missed, John. ;)

jmig
May 4th, 2009, 17:52
You'll be missed, John. ;)

LOL Not for long :)

Henry
May 4th, 2009, 17:57
Tonight!
IM imortal:engel016:
well virtually speaking
LOL
H

CodyValkyrie
May 4th, 2009, 18:03
Hey, I know the feeling. I have had some moments in FS that when done, I sat back and had to relax myself and remind myself it was just a sim. Moments that you know in the real world would have killed you, and potentially others.

GT182
May 4th, 2009, 18:03
Henry's been watchin those Immortal reruns again. ;) LOL

CG_1976
May 4th, 2009, 18:07
Hum I might have to sim this in my Iris AT-6A Texan CG. Good for education and flight experiance.

harleyman
May 4th, 2009, 18:28
R.I.P.

Oh yea....Just hit restart........:engel016:

SolarEagle
May 4th, 2009, 18:31
Funny, I knew I would die.

I bet a good portion of people that die in real life get to face that moment as well. Might be the only time in their life they can truly let go of everything. Most people hold on so tight to friends, lovers, posessions, etc that they never know what true freedom is.

cheezyflier
May 4th, 2009, 18:38
what did tyler durden say?
the things you own, end up owning you...

stovall
May 4th, 2009, 18:56
Just ask Panther about immortality!!!!!! How you do'in Ed?

djscoo
May 4th, 2009, 18:56

.........║.:engel016:

.....║:USA-flag:

:frown::frown:▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒:frown::frown:

See if that works...a flag at half mast and some mourners w/ Jmig in the sky.:icon_lol:

Bone
May 4th, 2009, 19:01
Reading this thread was deja' vue. I just had to eject from the VRsimulation's F-18 Superbug (FS9). It's quite a trick to fly well, totally unlike the accelleration F-18.

I've been thinking about getting the Iris T-6, do you recomend it?

txnetcop
May 4th, 2009, 19:05
Was doing T&Gs in the pattern with the Iris, advanced T-6 II. I got slow on final and overshot a bit. Tightened up the turn and the stall warning went off. I pushed the PCL forward and before I could do anything else, I was upside down and heading toward the ground.

Funny, I knew I would die. I realized that being upside down I couldn't eject. Nothing to do but watch the ground come to you.

It really was a strange feeling.

Rest in Peace Amigo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJpX7uHHCAA
Ted

or you could just exit the sim hehehe

Cloud9Gal
May 4th, 2009, 19:34

See if that works...a flag at half mast and some mourners w/ Jmig in the sky.:icon_lol:

LOL! Now that is CUTE!! :wavey:

jmig
May 4th, 2009, 19:34

That is cute djscoo. Thanks. My widow will appreciate it.

CodyValkyrie
May 4th, 2009, 19:38
ROFL!

I hate to ask, did your widow get a folded mouse pad in a case?

My condolences....

gajit
May 4th, 2009, 22:14
Remember - always crash on the portable toilets!! :engel016:

warchild
May 4th, 2009, 22:29
I'm glad i could be at least partially responsible for your death :::LOL:::.. Glad your enjoying it. In case you wonder, yes, it's killed me a whole buncha times too ;)..

gajit
May 4th, 2009, 22:58
Yes - I beleive in virtual reincarnation

Lionheart
May 5th, 2009, 01:25
Tonight!
IM imortal:engel016:
well virtually speaking
LOL
H

lol.... Sounds like a scene from Highlander, the Pilot. lol..

jmig
May 5th, 2009, 03:39
ROFL!

I hate to ask, did your widow get a folded mouse pad in a case?

My condolences....

:applause:

No, she got the Track IR reflectors. That is all that survived the fire.

Seriously, One of the differences between FSX and real life flying is the 'seat of the pants" aspect of flying. In real life, I would have felt the airplane become unstable before the horn went off.

I am sure a modern plane like the T-6II gives you tactical warnings before stalling. I remember flying the T-38 with a slight burble in the pattern. You had to be careful on the final turn as you were on the edge of stalling, however, you had warning.

Snuffy
May 5th, 2009, 04:47

Actually what I want to know is ... did the widow collect on the insurance and is she now somewhat well off???!!

:kilroy:

jmig
May 5th, 2009, 04:57
Actually what I want to know is ... did the widow collect on the insurance and is she now somewhat well off???!!

:kilroy:

:icon_lol: It is my understanding, Snuffy that she got FREE upgrades for the life of FSX.

lifejogger
May 5th, 2009, 05:33
Since I started flight simming I bet I have died a thousand times.:icon_lol:

gera
May 5th, 2009, 06:35
You should go back to "Flight School" before trying again!!!!!!:running::running:............am sure in your second coming your skills will be in shape so you may not stall such an elegant aircraft again........:medals:

Flork
May 5th, 2009, 10:46
Not to bore with aerodynamics, but it's a good lesson to learn. Cross control stall spins on approach to landing are a big killer in real life, and they happen exactly like you said-low and slow, overshoot the runway on final, tighten the turn, apply bottom rudder, and Boom! Suddenly you're inverted with little hope of recovery. Luckily you get nine lives here:)

3/7charlie
May 5th, 2009, 11:40
There I was...flat on my back, ball and needle crossed and nothing on the clock but the makers name!
like granpaw Pettibone sez-" Son, some times it just 'aint your day!"
3/7charlie

Matt Wynn
May 6th, 2009, 11:26
i'm lucky, the IRIS T-6 and PC-9 haven't resulted in my death yet... couple of gear failures but not much else.... the Capt-sim F-104 has killed me enough in FS9, mainly due to me forgetting throttle percentages needed to maintain speeds. just don't do what i did in the IRIS T-6, accidentally bailed out on a perfectly good approach.... "here comes Matt again, looks like a good appro- whats he done that for?" so to all you virtual tax payers sorry for wrecking a perfectly good T-6....

Barvan40
May 6th, 2009, 11:28
...just don't do what i did in the IRIS T-6, accidentally bailed out on a perfectly good approach.... "here comes Matt again, looks like a good appro- whats he done that for?" so to all you virtual tax payers sorry for wrecking a perfectly good T-6....

:icon_lol:

LonelyplanetXO
May 10th, 2009, 21:31
LOL!! I've flown fs for so many years now that crashes are a relatively uncommon occurrence. Don't forget that in TRW pilots have instructors who's job it is to train you avoid splattering your shiny metal ass all over the scenery. In FS, we don't have that luxury (but as stated above the consequences are somewhat less dire :) ).
So I split my flights into two classes - "training" ; where I'm learning to fly a new model (crashes are likely because you're pushing the envelope to see what it can do) and "sim-flying" where I enjoy trying to fly as competently as I can.

The most interesting crashes tend to be in "sim-flying" mode. Interesting because you learn from them. For the uninitiated, try climbing out of Aspen in a Light aircraft - You will crash, consistently until you learn the trick of gaining altitude in mountains (circle, fly up ridges, not valleys, etc)... Another great lesson was in a C130 in FS2002 - descending into a darkened airport in the desert, I was focusing so much on the single light at the end of the runway I didnt notice my descent angle and speed increasing dramatically....I speared downwards, crashing abruptly at threshold... lesson? Dont be fooled into attempting VFR flying if you don't have a horizon..
Finally, The Eaglesoft SR22.... read the manual before flying. Failing to do so then flying in marginal conditions with marginal fuel load overloaded me so much that I spent too much time head down, fiddling with the avionics and not enough actually flying the plane... augered into the sea, much to my surprise...:engel016:

LPXO