View Full Version : TrackIR 5

jimjones
May 4th, 2009, 03:39
http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/

Improved version, 5, at $150
Version 4, now $100

Nick C
May 4th, 2009, 03:48
While it may be better designed and posses a little more power, I really can't see any great advantage over TrackIR4. Thanks for the HU though.

jmig
May 4th, 2009, 03:56
While it may be better designed and posses a little more power, I really can't see any great advantage over TrackIR4. Thanks for the HU though.

:) I am hoping my Track4 Pro will die. :icon_lol: I find it hard to control while looking down in the cockpit.

SirBenn21
May 4th, 2009, 04:22
:) I am hoping my Track4 Pro will die. :icon_lol: I find it hard to control while looking down in the cockpit.

I agree, but I tried the vertion 5 beta software and it looks fancy but the Z axis (Forward and aft) is jumping around like crazy! :kilroy:

Ben

Nick C
May 4th, 2009, 04:38
I don't know if this will help John, but here are my settings.
http://www.screenshotartist.co.uk/images/random/trackir4_01.jpg

http://www.screenshotartist.co.uk/images/random/trackir4_02.jpg

bkeske
May 4th, 2009, 07:26
I agree, but I tried the vertion 5 beta software and it looks fancy but the Z axis (Forward and aft) is jumping around like crazy! :kilroy:

Ben

Yea, I tried the beta 5 software with my 'old' TrackIR, and didn't like it at all, very jumpy all around....looked nice, but did not work well for me....thus I had to uninstall 5, them my version 4, before I could get it working again at all.

Major_Spittle
May 4th, 2009, 08:42
Way over priced. Don't think I will feed their greed.

Nick C
May 4th, 2009, 08:45
Way over priced. Don't think I will feed their greed.

I have to disagree. TrackIR in my mind is the best piece of hardware, aside from my stick, that I've ever bought for the simulator. It's only expensive till you've bought one, then you understand what all the fuss is about.

Kiwikat
May 4th, 2009, 09:01
I have to disagree. TrackIR in my mind is the best piece of hardware, aside from my stick, that I've ever bought for the simulator. It's only expensive till you've bought one, then you understand what all the fuss is about.

Well said, again. I'm agreeing with everything you are saying today, Nick. :icon_lol:

Track IR is worth every penny. I urge anyone who doesn't have it to take advantage of the lowered price of 4. You won't regret it.

jimjones
May 4th, 2009, 09:08

Try tilting the the IR camera downward a little. That may give you a bigger range of downward control.

spotlope
May 4th, 2009, 09:34
I wouldn't fly without it, no question. In fact, for the first few weeks of the FSX beta, there wasn't a compatible driver for the new sim, and I found it wasn't worth flying.

My current unit is an aging TIR3 jobbie, so at some point soon I'll probably upgrade to a 5 -- got to be a big improvement there, I'd think.

Naismith
May 4th, 2009, 12:40

So true, so true. It transforms any sim totally.

yago9
May 4th, 2009, 21:35
So true, so true. It transforms any sim totally.

Sure does if it works properly.Mine was great in FS9 but horrible in FX.

Nick C
May 4th, 2009, 22:13
Sure does if it works properly.Mine was great in FS9 but horrible in FX.

As it works fine for many users, I'm presuming you have faulty hardware. Have you tried contacting Vince at Naturalpoint for advice?

jmig
May 5th, 2009, 03:32
Thanks Nick and Jim for the info. My setting are pretty much the same as yours, Nick. without looking, I can't say about my dot size.

I have tried to lower the sensitivity using the graph on the downward pitch. If I look downward slowly and then freeze the TIR, I can flip switches on the consoles and such. However, if I look too far it rotates and goes to looking vertically at the seat cushion. I then have to hit F12 (set to a JS button) to see out the windshield again.

I agree with the others, the Track IR along with the Madox TH2Go will open MSFS to almost RL flying status

datter
May 5th, 2009, 14:49
I've come to within moments of buying a Trackir many times since version 3, and again just a few days ago when I heard about v5. If naturalpoint accepted Paypal I'd have bought one by now.

Major_Spittle
May 5th, 2009, 16:44
I'm waiting for some competition in this market so the price will drop down to the $30-$50 range where it belongs. I don't dispute it is real nice to have but I am not a fan of price gouging.

jmig
May 6th, 2009, 03:26
I'm waiting for some competition in this market so the price will drop down to the $30-$50 range where it belongs. I don't dispute it is real nice to have but I am not a fan of price gouging.

While I can understand your feeling, I disagree with your belief that it is price gouging. This is an electronic device that will sell in the thousands, unlike the Iphone and its clones, which sell in the hundreds of thousands.

Compared to Go-Flight modules, Matrox TH2Go and even the least expensive of flight simming components, those made by the Spanish outfit, Opencockpits, the pricing is in line.

Heck, even a good joystick will costs you a C note or better. I have had my TrackIR for years and have had "0" problems with its operation. It has added immensely to my flying pleasure, making it one of my best value purchases.

I know I do and, I bet most of us have over $150 worth of hanger queens we purchased over the last couple of years that we never fly.

Nick C
May 6th, 2009, 03:40

Here you go then:

http://secure.simmarket.com/vr-insight-hat-track.phtml

Still not cheap enough for you and I'm led to believe no where near as good as Track IR.

Somewhere on the net, maybe YouTube, there are instructions for building your own too, if your worried about 'price gouging' I'd imagine this latter route would be right up your alley.

Maybe the price is to high for you, I've never heard one complaint from a Track IR user once they've actually bought and started using the project that the money wasn't well spent.

As Bill said earlier, when the Beta of FSX started, not being able to use Track IR felt like you'd lost one of your limbs. It was enormous relief once the drivers started to be developed for it.

I installed CFS1 a couple of weeks back, a sim which I used to fly everyday for around 4 years. I still love the sim, but without Track IR it was uninstalled within a couple of hours.

I fully respect your opinion on price, but I wouldn't call it price gouging. For me it's fully worth what I paid for it.

Dangerous Beans
May 6th, 2009, 09:18
I agree with what others have said, it may seem a little pricey at first but once youve got one youle wonder how you ever did without it.

LOL Nick C, I had the same experience with CFS2 recently, used to love playing it but it lasted about an hour on my HDD when I tried it again about a month ago, it was like trying to fly with my neck in traction.

spotlope
May 6th, 2009, 12:11
Make that another would-be CFS2 flier that gave up due to a stiff neck. ;)

Nick C
May 6th, 2009, 14:07
Make that another would-be CFS2 flier that gave up due to a stiff neck. ;)

Most likely due to you looking over your shoulder at all the CFS1 pilots who were having more fun on the Zone :engel016: