PDA

View Full Version : So long, SimTech...

srgalahad
May 3rd, 2009, 21:30
Well, another bit of the flight simulation world is disappearing. In one of the new age corporate reconstructions, an offer was made and accepted and thus the SimTech name, domain name and rights to same have been sold. The current SimTech Flight Design website is being closed.:stop: Tom's Copyrights to the models are still in effect.

Tom advised me today that over the next few days requests will be sent out to the major websites to remove any files carrying the SimTech Flight Design name (in the title or any readable documents). The new owners (who are aviation but not MSFS oriented) want to have a clear board when they begin use of their new identity.

Soooo.. if you've pondered any of the "former" SimTech products that became freeware - go get them now! (includes, but is not limited to the Beech 17 & 18, H.P 400, Do 335. P-39, La-7... if you can find it, get it.)

Will this affect the Rata project? No! It's into beta-test and textures but it will be released under a new product line with a new website (announcement will follow) and after that we'll hopefully see it followed by updated Beechs and then some new things.

(thread posted in the other forums linking to this announcement)

Rob
(for Tom, "Crashwoody")

PeteHam
May 4th, 2009, 00:09
Thanks for the warning Rob. :applause:

Just getting a few now :jump:

Pete.

Dangerousdave26
May 4th, 2009, 08:56
Thanks Rob I got them all.

For anyone interested just search simTECH at Flightsim and simviation. You can get everything but the Do335 at Flightsim.

I am curious if this request will lead to the removal of all of the repaints and various other files associated with but not produced by simTECH.

For instance Cliff Presley did a complete rework of the Beech 18 to make it a C-45G (cp-c45g.zip @ flightsim) it won a Flightsim.com award. Will it be pulled as well?

Not that it really matters I am just wonder how this all works.

Best of luck to Tom and his future products.

Kiwikat
May 4th, 2009, 09:04
That C-45 was hands down my favorite piece of freeware from FS9. I wish it would've been updated to FSX standards. :kilroy::engel016:

CrisGer
May 4th, 2009, 09:13
thanks for the heads up, dl now, and yes that C-45 is a very nice plane. Sorry to see these absorbtions happening in sim publishing, it mirrors the path of other publishing fields and does not bode well for diversity and breadth and depth in related fields. ah well, thanks for the warning.

Kiwikat there is a nice version of the C-45 Simtech plane updated for FX on simaviation

http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/syb2.cgi?section=props&file=FSXBeech18.zip

srgalahad
May 4th, 2009, 09:53
That C-45 was hands down my favorite piece of freeware from FS9. I wish it would've been updated to FSX standards. :kilroy::engel016:

Kiwi, I can't ( and wouldn't anyway) make promises for Tom so grab what you can now. As for a possible FSX update, time will tell :icon_lol: ... and that answer applies to the Staggerwing and others too.:kilroy:

Sorry to see these absorbtions happening in sim publishing, it mirrors the path of other publishing fields and does not bode well for diversity and breadth and depth in related fields. ah well, thanks for the warning.

It's not an absorbtion as such. The new owners of the name have an aviation-related business that has nothing to do with Microsoft Flight Simulator. I guess they just liked the name enough to want it.

Sometimes a change is good.

Rob

Kiwikat
May 4th, 2009, 09:58
Kiwi, I can't ( and wouldn't anyway) make promises for Tom so grab what you can now. As for a possible FSX update, time will tell :icon_lol: ... and that answer applies to the Staggerwing and others too.:kilroy:

Yeah, I'm downloading it now. Are there any patches or anything to make it at least useable in fsx? I haven't tried porting it over yet.

CrisGer
May 4th, 2009, 10:18
ah ok then Rob, thanks for the clarification that is good then. SimTech were /are good people and were very helpful and nice to me over some older products. sorry to see them disbanded. :) thanks for the heads up again.