PDA

View Full Version : Schindler's List...got a question

OBIO
May 2nd, 2009, 19:32
My wife and I found Schinlder's List on DVD the other night at Walmart. We have watched it three times in the last 2 days. Great movie....one of the most moving movies of all time.

I have a question that I hope someone who knows Jewish customs can answer.

At the end of the movie, when they are showing the Schindler Jews placing the stones on Oscar Schindler's grave...what is the significance of the stones? I know that it is a sign of respect, but what is the origin of that? Is it a custom practice throughout the Jewish religion or is it something specific to the Schindler Jews?

My wife and I would like to know to add more to our understanding.

OBIO

cheezyflier
May 2nd, 2009, 19:53
putting a rock on the grave is not specific just to jews. lots of cultures do it, to show that they were there.

djscoo
May 2nd, 2009, 19:57
My wife and I found Schinlder's List on DVD the other night at Walmart. We have watched it three times in the last 2 days. Great movie....one of the most moving movies of all time.

I have a question that I hope someone who knows Jewish customs can answer.

At the end of the movie, when they are showing the Schindler Jews placing the stones on Oscar Schindler's grave...what is the significance of the stones? I know that it is a sign of respect, but what is the origin of that? Is it a custom practice throughout the Jewish religion or is it something specific to the Schindler Jews?

My wife and I would like to know to add more to our understanding.

OBIO

It's a custom practiced by all Jews. I'm not Jewish, but I remember reading a plaque at the Holocaust Museum in Houston explaining that before fancy vaults and gravestones, gravesites would be marked and covered with stones. It's just continuing the tradition of making sure the deceased aren't forgotten. Kind of like leaving flowers...only more permanent.

Toastmaker
May 2nd, 2009, 20:46
djscoo is correct. My Jewish ex confirms it.

(of course we still speak. . . !) :applause:

Lionheart
May 2nd, 2009, 23:13
Christians do it as well, but then our King is Jewish too, so perhaps that has something to do with it.

:d