PDA

View Full Version : Tech Support

falcon409
May 1st, 2009, 19:33
My well publicized computer problems have almost been completely reversed (almost). I am still attempting to salvage some valuables from the HD that went south on me, and in the interim I reloaded FS9 on an external HD. I purchased a new 320gig Seagate this afternoon that I hope will house FS9 for the foreseeable future and my question is this. . . .can I simply drag FS9 in it's entirety to the new drive? Will FS9 still recognize the installed files even though the drive letters will change, or must I go into regedit and change all pointers to the new drive?

Thanks!

Tom Clayton
May 1st, 2009, 20:09
Before you try this PLEASE wait for confirmation from someone who knows more than me - but here's my idea. Leave the external unplugged, and uninstall FS9 from the Add-Remove Programs list. Then reinstall from CD to the default location. Then plug in the external and drag in the files/folders you want to add.

modelr
May 1st, 2009, 22:08
Don't know about the drag and drop idea, but it will work just fine from the add-on drive. All three of my FS9 versions are on a 320GB external, and they run great. If you just rename your original folder, even just adding/removing one letter, Windows will see it as being uninstalled, and you can reload from scratch, then copy over the add-ons/folders as desired.

If you want to try your original drag/drop idea, it won't hurt, as long as you COPY to the new drive, NOT move! That way, you will have the original as a backup in case something doesn't go as planned. Then just change the target in the registry, if you're comfortable doing that. (I do it all the time for some add-ons.)

CG_1976
May 1st, 2009, 23:01
I did the drop and drag with FSX and it works also FS9 when i installed a new HD on my beta comp. I just draged all FSX to the new drive and reset the reg path. I also preformed it with Fs9 from one drive to the other. Main thing is to make sure you update the Reg path.

Buddha13
May 2nd, 2009, 01:50
Hi all,
Yes it can work.I have all my flight sims backed up to external drives.When I had to reformat a couple of months ago I just dragged my backup across.I did however reinstall a base copy on to the main drive first and copied my backup files in to that.That way you are sure that any new addons will recognise where you are.

Buddha13

falcon409
May 2nd, 2009, 05:34
Well, I got the new HD installed (technically). The CMOS recognizes it on boot up, the device driver in Vista shows it to be installed and working properly, but "my computer" says it's not there. It only shows the main C: and the external J: drives. Why would it not also show up as an available drive?

Fixed!!